Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Need RIAA phono preamp based on octal or ST
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2019, 04:29 PM   #11
leadfinger is offline leadfinger  United States
diyAudio Member

You might check out the cornet Octal...

http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/cornetoctal.pdf
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:32 AM   #12
Mr_Zenith is offline Mr_Zenith  United States
diyAudio Member

It's interesting this thread should come up, as I've been considering a scratch-built RIAA stage build over the past week. The three I'm considering:

I've already gathered the parts for Eli's stage, which I like for its novel approach, but I was wondering about the pros and cons of the other two. The JE Labs is attractive because I have boatloads of NOS Loktals, but Vinylsavor's looks to be simpler.

Just want to see what others think here...
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:57 AM   #13
craigtone is offline craigtone  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is another option:

Tavish 6SL7 Phono build
Old 2nd February 2019, 02:31 AM   #14
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have boatloads of NOS Loktals
Got 7F7s or 14N7s? Very little in the way of changes would be needed to use those Loctals in the tweaked RCA setup.

Another "frisky" parts from the "pile" tube complement would be a Russian 6H2Π (6n2p) for the 1st gain blocks and a 6SC7 for the 2nd gain blocks.
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:29 AM   #15
Mr_Zenith is offline Mr_Zenith  United States
diyAudio Member

That was going to be my next question (you read my mind). And since the 7F7 is basically a Loktal 6SL7, this might further expand the options for the OP. I've considered the 7F7/6SL7 as a substitute, but was concerned with the different interelectrode capacitance and Mu (the 7F7's 70 vs. 100 for the 12AX7).

I'm fairly handy with flush cutters and a soldering iron, but like the OP my eyesight ain't what it used to be.
Old 2nd February 2019, 10:08 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've considered the 7F7/6SL7 as a substitute, but was concerned with the different interelectrode capacitance and Mu (the 7F7's 70 vs. 100 for the 12AX7).
Remember, net gain is controlled by both μ and RP. There's not much difference between the 'X7 and the 'SL7, when you crunch the numbers.
Old 2nd February 2019, 10:29 AM   #17
Greg Hyatt is offline Greg Hyatt  United States
diyAudio Member

JE rejected the 7B4 because it is a single triode and did not fit his chassis, but it seems to be a direct replacement for the 12AX7 in ratings. Even the capacitances are similar when you recognize that the 7B4 seems to always be measured with a shield, and the 12AX7 without. I don't mind having a forest of tubes, it was -22 F here in northern IL yesterday and my furnace could use the help! So unless someone points out a problem I have missed I will build one of the 12AX7 circuits with the 7B4. The question is which one...
Old 2nd February 2019, 10:52 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So unless someone points out a problem I have missed I will build one of the 12AX7 circuits with the 7B4.
I would not regard 4 bottles as a "forest". What you have to watch out for in passive EQ setups is matching. Well matched triodes are needed in the channel to channel corresponding positions. Matching of the triodes in a channel is not necessary.
Old 2nd February 2019, 05:48 PM   #19
Greg Hyatt is offline Greg Hyatt  United States
diyAudio Member

My listing room is not balanced so I guess the tone-stack could take care of miss-matched triodes at the same time?
I have been looking for an excuse to use glow-discharge tubes for the first time, so how about the following for the power supply?

Sticking with the Loktal the 7Z4 makes an inexpensive voltage multiplier. The caps should give me about 300v to fire the regulators (with the 1meg shunt to help).
The 68k resistor is just to drain the caps when powered off for safety.
The 22k resistor limits current through the glow-tubes
x notes the path to remove voltage from the circuit with removal of a regulator.
.1uf should be small enough to prevent oscillation while providing some filtering.

Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture1.png (36.3 KB, 318 views)
Old 3rd February 2019, 06:16 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I say, did somebody mention voltage doubler? The attached "hen scratch" schematic is inexpensive to execute and would work well with gas discharge regulation.

BTW, the 0.1 μF. noise suppression part is (IMO) pressing your luck, with regards to observing unwanted relaxation oscillator behavior. I think 0.068 μF. is a better choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 117Z6 PSU.jpg (334.2 KB, 263 views)

Need RIAA phono preamp based on octal or STHide this!Advertise here!