• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bel Canto Seti 40 SE 845

I have just returned to the Bel Canto Seti 40 workshop with an out of service transformer. I entrusted the opt to a friend who manufactures and test transformers and he confirmed to me that he was well toasted ... Through another friend, I had the address of a parsonne in Minneapolis who does maintenance / upgrade on bel canto and who claims with original opt. his site is called "ace tomato audio", does that tell you something? or does someone have an address to buy a new original opt?
thank you in advance

he does not want to do it as long as I have not studied all the tracks to find an original transformer. I quite agree with him because it seems rather tedious because the coils are coated with a thick and hard resin. the guy from Minneapolis answered me, he offers me a trnasformateur for $ 500, but I still do not know what he sells, if it's guenuine or if it's adaptable

it is precisely that which poses me problem. I can not find information on Mr Cramer and even less on his opt. all I know is that he does the "upgrade" and the repair of Bel canto on facebook. I think it's a little light to send $ 500 + $ 130 shipping and taxes ... I will wait a bit to see if other members know or know are working. thank you PPR

ok, it's moving on my side. already, a big thank you to Claudio for the sale of its output transformer, without you, it will have been more complicated and thank you for all the explanations when the upgrade of this amp, I owe you one;)

then, I continued my investigation on Matt Cramer of my first post and it is not quite a stranger, it is the last technician superior of the period of tubes of Bel canto. This man still manufactures set40, main pcb, output transformer, power transformer etc etc etc, a wealth of information for owners of bel canto tubes equipment.

I started dismantling and checking some "critical" items before ordering. if someone is interested, I could put pictures and info on the pieces "critical" to control imperatively before all things. Finally, I remember that this amp works with a very high voltage, 1250 / 1300v so it is imperative to know where you put your hands before opening. we are big boys but I still work with insulating gloves.

That's it, he came back to life with a few small changes to make it more reliable over time. on the other hand, the scheme is strange for a SE of 845 and in relation to what I could see as a reference pattern on the net. but hey, it works and rather very well, it's the main thing. thanks again to claudio without whom it will not have been possible and thank you Yves from Dissident Audio for answering me. if anyone has a technical question about this amp, I can answer it as long as he is at home.

hello this amplifier its made of 12AX7 Gomez srpp+and autobias, yes no negative voltage @ 845 grid but 470Kohm resistor to ground !!! and cathode resistor on the amplifier i repair was 3K3 ohm, to bias properly should be 1K3/1K5 wit 1100V +B like factory want prevent extreme failure so i think 470Kohm its to high and grid current start and high current blow output transformer

you weren't the only one looking for information on these output transformers but you have little chance of finding any because there are no technical data and very few amps sold.
I had the chance to receive this offer from Claudio who had an original transformer in his stock.
Otherwise, there is a former bel canto technician in the USA who sells these parts, I had contacted him at the time and I had had the prices but with the shipping and customs costs it was prohibitive.

Claudio has modified bel canto but you will no longer have your original amp, maybe better, maybe worse but in any case different.
you can try to contact him in pm.
Thanks, here's where i've seen that the belcanto 845 uses hammond transformers - second link below. Not sure if the Hammond 1628 is a modification or the original.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/sho...re-for-the-lock-down-blues-a-Bel-Canto-SETI40

https://forums.melaudia.net/showthread.php?tid=10457