• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Low microphonics preamp tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
is it the tube or the circuit? the 12ax7 as a preamp tube is driven at ridiculous high gain levels and max heater voltages in an effort to squeeze more out of it, which shortens life (especially in instrument pre-amps) the 12ay7 is lower in gain to begin with.
i say look at how it's being used before you jump to a conclusion the tube type has a "tendancy" to microphonics.

My experience is that it is often the very high gm pentodes which are microphonic. Try 6s17k for zero microphonics.

6S17K is zero microphonic, but it can't substitute 12AX7 because it's grid is too close to cathode, it's grid current is much higher. I use them with grounded cathode, and bias by 47k and it's own grid current. Excellent for new design in phono and microphone preamps, but can't replace 12AX7.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.