• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

microcontroller for bias?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think bias should be left to change as it will, I am not the expert on bias. I know in class B it can go higher. I would vote for a bias motoring microcontroller which shuts down power if the bias is too high in one tube. Some kind of indicator too that the tubes need adjustment.

A microcontroller with a2d would be able to monitor a few tubes bias and warn if too high.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Pete Millett did a nice looking 813 Amplifier quite a while back that used the Silicon Labs C8051F206 processor. He pulled the link from his website, I would guess perhaps because it uses very high voltages. The controller was used among other things to sequence the power up of filament, bias and B+ also measuring these so that if any of them were outside acceptable operating range the amp would power off. It's a neat chip.

We've all seen the analog bias boards supplied by Tent and Pavel at audioamp.eu, but has anyone ever though of using a microcontroller to do it?
I used a RPi in mine - messing about with micro's and tubes..

This amp is still in breadboard phase, it has turned out to be great fun, but I doubt it adds that much value to the sound, but has been interesting being able to plug in a variety of tubes and the micro sorts out the bias automatically.

I have recently written a graphics GUI that can control/monitor the amp remotely.

Attachments

• POM.jpeg
    POM.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 395
  • SBM.jpeg
    SBM.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 386
  • LPM.jpeg
    LPM.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 379
Here is a video of the warmup sequence. The coloured squares show the relative emission of the 4 tubes (green > 80%) YouTube

And a video of the GUI while music is playing. The micro does not control bias when audio is detected. Unfortunately the recorded audio is poor, I was using the iMac internal microphone. YouTube

Last edited:
I worked on a hughes and kettner using an Atmel to control bias and monitor for proper biasing, aka shut down the amp if it wouldn't fall into spec. Didn't have to work on that part of the circuit, so I don't know too much about its function.

Anyway, it seemed like a crime of sorts when I first saw it... Since then I still don't like it, but will probably use it when I get to designing my first big amp

Cory

Using automation reminds me of the 45kW Collins HF Linear Amplifier.
It had an Auto-tune feature of the output amplifier. It required a steady state carrier to the input (but that had to be set far below the 45KW level during the auto-tune routine). After it was tuned, then the full power Single Sideband signal could be applied to the amp input.

How about microprocessor automation with motors to turn the bias pots up and down during the Audio amp warm up routine (with mercury relays to turn off the audio signal inputs during the bias setting).
Well, probably not such a good idea, and too Rube Goldberg-ish.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.