• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL34B 6N9P 5Z3P amplifier kit - any thoughts on schematic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 2 cents on that would be to unbypass part of the front end cathode resistance and run NFB from the output plate to that point. I would however be more inclined to dump the SRPP front end and run a high mu triode so that feedback could also be run to the plate as well as the cathode. To clean up what is undoubtedly a cheesy OPT, a snubber should be run on the secondary. How much was that thing???

To clean up what is undoubtedly a cheesy OPT, a snubber should be run on the secondary.
Actually the iron is fairly substantial-looking, so may not be too bad at all.
What sort of snubber would you recommend?
How much was that thing???
In the $250+ range with quick DHL shipping. (Try BestOffer and see what happens??)
For that you get:
Stainless chassis which would be good if properly drilled/cut. Easily improved by adding real wood ends instead of the particle-board ones provided.
Set of iron (decent-looking, and good-sized)
Set of tubes (you need something cheap for firing up and testing, right?)
Nice transformer covers - brushed aluminum anodized black
Good IEC fused inlet
Power switch - OK
RCA jacks - reasonable (like PartsExpress) quality
Speaker jacks - cheap
Volume pot - pretty small but might be OK- I threw mine in the spares box.
Electronics components- resistors and caps- the usual lower-end offshore stuff like you find in guitar amps and consumer audio gear.

As I said, I bought it out of curiosity- I could have built something similar from scratch, with a different diy chassis with the stuff I have here.

I'm just waiting on some caps here;I don't like using radial-lead caps for P2P style wiring.
I'll post something when I fire it up.
John

Last edited:
Got mine to work 100%

Hi Well I too brought this valve amp only late last year just got around to putting it together, wow not a bad little sound too. posted some pics of my DIY and very happy with it. hope you finally got yours to work and I had no parts left over lol which helps I guess

Attachments

• 100_4722.jpg
    100_4722.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 610
  • 100_4723.jpg
    100_4723.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 593
  • 100_4724.jpg
    100_4724.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 588
Well if anybody is still reading this blog forget this cheap chinese junk amps, I had trouble with this amp after I finished building it work ok but volume was very low, email the seller he sent me new schematics as the first one was misleading, lol rebuilt the amp to the second schematics switched on 10secs late bang smoke poured out blow all the caps and I say the valves and trannies are stuff as well. go spend your hard earn money on a better kit then this cheap chinese junk. just do a search and you will find so many different schematics to the same kit, which none to date have I seemn working 100%.

6n9p EL34B and 5Z3P

I purchased this Amplifier out of curiosity in July 2014 for a total of £203 plus 24% customs duty and Vat. ( 4.5% + 20%). I have run it for at least 8 hours a day since. In all honesty I was truthfully amazed at its sound, dynamics, and sound stage. I have used it with the following loudspeakers. Rega XEL transmission lines, TDL RTL3 Transmission Lines, and KEF C80s. The best speaker wire being a 1.5 Metre section of 3mm (7mm CSA) diameter enamelled copper wire in Nylon sleeves. With silver soldered 4mm plugs. The Amplifier fed either by a Technics slp 990 or Marantz 5004 CD player.
I noticed that both of these CD machines can output up to 3.5 volts whereas the Amplifiers input is stated at 500mv. I did notice on the Bass Synthesiser track 1 of American Beauty some overload distortion when the volume was past 1 O clock. So I utilised a QED CD attenuator. Problem solved.
This Amplifier sounds as good if not better than my Audio innovations 300 Mark 2 4 x ECL 86 and my Quad 34/405.
Food for thought there !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.