Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the Vishay and TI bulk metals to be technically identical. Reason: in their spec sheets, they both show the exact same pictures explaining how the trimming works.

They are identical: Vishay exclusively manufactures the foil (nickel-chromium alloy like many metal film and wirewound resistors), everyone else simply does the final manufacturing of the package including the foil etching for the pattern and final trimming. Vishay would have tight specifications for the final assembly too; it's a highly engineered product.

I don't much care for the 'naked' Vishays; they look flimsy and lack the protection and damping of the packaging.

I would love to have individual circuits to plug and play, but that gets expensive. Soldering in a new component and listening opens up other issues. Figure that smd switch would be most reasonable alternative, but i am open to suggestions. Thing about the switch, is that if it is making significant difference, then everysolder joint and connection becomes equally, if not more important. If i can detect a difference in this setup then it may be that the difference is not significant.

Jacco,
avec?

Connections are important, in the long run.
Reason to clean them, protect them, replace them, avoid them if you can.
Reason to move the levers of a dipswitch in a phono stage a couple of times once every year.

But when New, even a <$5 plastic rotary switch has a contact resistance of less than 50mohm.
During a test, that will be there, regardless which resistor is switched.

@Andrew,
1% or better in all cases, with most being .1%. I have measured quite a few of the TNPW and RG and found them to be spot on, within the limititions of my equipment. I am by no means claiming this is some lab grade experiment, but i think in reality, it will show any possible difference in the sound of these resistors. If it takes more than this to hear the difference, then I throw my hands up, as it is above my abilities.
I know the TNPw is 25ppm, the TNPU is 5ppm, Rg can be gotten in 5ppm but i will be using the 10ppm version, and finally tx2575 at .02ppm(thats nasty). cant argue with that even from a technical perspective. Interestign thing to note. In the resistor noise paper that floats around, low ppm does not necessarily correlate with low current noise. Ihave grown fond of SMD after learnign to solder them effectively and find them easier and faster to work with than through hole. Their improved techinical data is just a side benefit that works really well in my favor. I mostly use 1206 and up, as the 0805 are getting to be a bit of a PIA, but then again, that is where the real good numbers show up.
On Jacco's point about connections. I really like SMD in that you know if done properly, you hav a contact with the pad that is very difficult to get with through hole. IN the end , jsut having fun and trying to avoid allowing my mind to wither away.

Status
Not open for further replies.