Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The High End
The High End
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2021, 11:24 PM   #51
Bernie88 is offline Bernie88  Germany
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseoldtech View Post
I'd much prefer, if I had to gaze at it, my pristine Dual 1215.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dual-werbung_869049.jpg (46.2 KB, 120 views)
Old 13th October 2021, 11:27 PM   #52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenharmonics View Post
I bet it was sighted listening.
Yes, no double blindfold test.
Old 14th October 2021, 12:53 AM   #53
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Let me guess, you think silver wire sounds 'bright' as well?

Only if highly polished with silver cleaner.
Old 14th October 2021, 12:58 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Let me guess, you think silver wire sounds 'bright' as well?
Yes.....
I currently own the 1215 (as pictured), but previously owned a brand new 1229 and also had a 1219 given to me, both in the 1970's.
And my neighbor owns the beautiful 701, totally restored by me, as well as an old but pristine 1019, also overhauled by me.

They are enduring, yet remarkable pieces of German engineering, even today.

Me, age 27, in front of my Dual 1229, in 1980.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me-27.jpg (95.9 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by wiseoldtech; 14th October 2021 at 01:03 AM.
Old 14th October 2021, 01:30 AM   #55
Banned

Great! Gives me a thrill, thinking of those times. My father had an ELAC and my first stereo system was Hitachi. It was approx. very early 80s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fb56674afae901da2d2aa948c5125765.jpg (47.7 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by Bernie88; 14th October 2021 at 01:34 AM.
Old 14th October 2021, 02:07 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie88 View Post
Great! Gives me a thrill, thinking of those times. My father had an ELAC and my first stereo system was Hitachi. It was approx. very early 80s.

I serviced and sold an Elac / Realistic Miracord 46 on craigs list about 2 years back.
Nice old beast, however Dual always was my favorite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elac46.jpg (111.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 14th October 2021, 02:52 AM   #57
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

In those years I preferred the Lenco L75, I don't like complex automatic mechanisms, at most a return and shutdown at the end of the album. If I remember correctly, all Duals did, you could use them in semi or full automatic .....
Old 14th October 2021, 03:18 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by academia50 View Post
In those years I preferred the Lenco L75, I don't like complex automatic mechanisms, at most a return and shutdown at the end of the album. If I remember correctly, all Duals did, you could use them in semi or full automatic .....
The nice thing about those Duals, when playing a record, there is nothing connecting the tonearms to the mechanism, it's allowed to pivot freely with its own high precision bearings.
And the motor shaft and bearings are honed/polished to a micro-finish for smooth operation.
Dual back then went to great, extreme lengths to produce a fine piece of machinery.
Almost like a finely crafted piece of jewelry.
Old 14th October 2021, 10:39 AM   #59
Banned

Nice thing about the ELAC is, it still works after 43 years (bought in 1978). Its a fully automatic player, but at the end of a record its better now to help by manually lifting the tonearm. MM system still plays like day one. Those things were robust, even if they were consumer gear only. It had received no service at all.
The ELAC player, with its natural restrictions, can play music that sounds like real music, never sterile, always with character.

I remember some years ago Michael Fremer did an online review on his channel of a Rolling Stones mono reissue LP compared to the original. And then he compared his super-hyper- youhaventseenitever- record player with the 30K$ tonearm to a normal record player with an SME 3012 I think. I did comment on his video that not only I found the original to sound better but would prefer the ordinary player over his million dollar player because that one sounded sterile and therefore unnaturally. One week later I searched for a reply. The comment was deleted. LOL.

Last edited by Bernie88; 14th October 2021 at 10:54 AM.
Old 14th October 2021, 04:21 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie88 View Post

I remember some years ago Michael Fremer did an online review on his channel of a Rolling Stones mono reissue LP compared to the original. And then he compared his super-hyper- youhaventseenitever- record player with the 30K$ tonearm to a normal record player with an SME 3012 I think. I did comment on his video that not only I found the original to sound better but would prefer the ordinary player over his million dollar player because that one sounded sterile and therefore unnaturally. One week later I searched for a reply. The comment was deleted. LOL.

Indeed, those well-known reviewers and high-end authorities do not want you to blemish or hear your side of honest and truthful comments, it goes against their reputations like throwing dirt on a gourmet dessert, or spitting in their fine wine.

I've had that happen on occasions, where I'd be scolded or reprimanded for my own opinion on something.
This sort of thing is in line with censorship of course, protecting both the reviewer, and the manufacturer's reputation, who, as the manufacturer, is paying that reviewer to endorse and praise their product in order to promote healthy sales.

And the sad thing is, people become brainwashed due to this manipulation, insisting that their belief or opinion of something is the right one, just because the reviewer says so.
We see this pretty much everywhere these days.

The High EndHide this!Advertise here!