My bleeding knuckles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes! After the first couple weeks of diligent hand washing my knuckles looked like I hit them with a belt sander. Prodigious use of some generic brand lotion and moisturizing balm now has them back to an acceptably manly slightly rough skin texture and no oozing blood.

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
It breaks down and removes part of our immune system, an oily/fatty residue that is intended to protect our skin.
Careful about some types of moisturizer/vaseline and the like, it can make your skin dependent on it, so might take some time to wean off.

I like to get some "good germs" from my aquarium if there's a problem with the skin balance on my hands, good chemistry in there, all natural system. The cute little fish come and nibble a bit on my hand as well, it's nice.

Edit:
Not if I have any sores or cuts ofcourse, only when they're more dry than they should be.

Last edited:
Yes, I expect the hand dermatologists (assuming there is such a specialty) will have a field day when this is over. If you are near a sink hand washing with soap is both less irritating and more thorough than using an alcohol based sanitizer. Save that stuff for after grocery shopping, filling the gas tank, etc.

3sag1h.jpg

Mine was a hairdresser before becoming an accountant, like many of the imports from Vietnam start out, so I haven't paid for a haircut for many moons. She also does her own so that leaves her budget room for another pair of shoes. Yes, another pair of shoes. I know right? How many pairs of near identical blue dress shoes does she need?
Silly me, last year's are out of style already, can't wear them.

Many years ago, I turned my wife towards "Spenol" originally made for sore cows udders. Here's the wikipedia page after passing it through google translate for your convenience:
Spenol is an unscented, protective and moisturizing skin cream that is manufactured by the international pharmaceutical company Takeda. The cream was developed by Sigurd Funder who made a cream to be applied to the cows' teats. The farmers use Spenol (as one of several such products) on the teats of the cows, especially in the summer when they are exposed to sun, which makes the skin extra dry and vulnerable. Sore teats are uncomfortable for the cow, and small ulcers can provide a breeding ground for bacteria that can lead to mastitis, thus quickly getting veterinary treatment and milk to be discharged, with associated unnecessary costs. The products are also available with solar factor.
Spenol – Wikipedia

If it's good enough for animal welfare, then it's good enough for me.
Reasonably priced too!

Seems like what people "over there" recommend is a product called "Bag Balm", regular tin can portion of 8 oz costs under 8$ on walmart, the 4.5 lbs "bucket" is under 64$.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vermont-...w-Lanolin-Heals-Scratches-Abrasions/147718717
Probably useable for other areas that need attention as well.

Edit:
Apparently there's also some alternative that's even cheaper on walmart, but the people "in the know" advice against it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.