My bleeding knuckles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seems like what people "over there" recommend is a product called "Bag Balm", regular tin can portion of 8 oz costs under 8$ on walmart, the 4.5 lbs "bucket" is under 64$.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vermont-...w-Lanolin-Heals-Scratches-Abrasions/147718717
Probably useable for other areas that need attention as well.

Edit:
Apparently there's also some alternative that's even cheaper on walmart, but the people "in the know" advice against it.

I use Bag Balm as a 'chamois cream' to reduce saddle friction on long bike rides. It's basically Vaseline (petrolatum) with a little antiseptic in it. Too sticky for hand lotion IMO. I use Gold Bond Healing for dry hands and elbows. My wife likes O'Keefe Working Hands, my mother uses Egyptian Magic which is made from olive oil and bees wax, no petroleum.

We have a massive thread on cooking, one on vacuum cleaners, now one on hand lotion. What's next?

I've made a mixture of 6 parts 3% peroxide and 4 parts water with 2 squirts of natural laundry soap.
Not drying on the hands at all and you can still see the oxidizing action so i know its working.
Wearing 15 mil nitrile gloves helps when out and about, that way i can wash away endlessly.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I haven't had a problem from the soap and alcohol. I just seem to keep cutting my hands or fingers!

Two weeks ago cut my finger on a saw, Last weekend stabbed myself with the secateurs, yesterday managed to rip a bit of skin off my left index finger, sanding down a piece of aluminium 1/4 in rod to fit a volume knob (was spinning it in the drill :rolleyes: ) edit: now that I think about it, same finger I cut with the saw two weeks ago...

Somehow this self isolation appears to have made me accident prone!

Tony.

Last edited:
Self isolation mean more time in the workshop

All this shop time means that my hands have been in constant contact with lead for several hours a day. I just started a new roll of solder after killing the last one. It was over half full when the lockdown started.

All this means more hand washing. After all is done for the day, I rub some pure coconut oil on my hands. It helps the cracked dry skin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.