vacuum in space

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• Tubes in Space.jpg
    Tubes in Space.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 148
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Reading through that link, I take it that that a Type 1a Supernova can no longer be regarded as the 'standard candle' used for the measurement of cosmic distances.

If I understand it correctly, the brightnesses of T1a supernovae have recently been found to depend on how young they are - i.e. how far back in time we can observe them.

All T1a supernovae are therefore not of a standard brightness as previously assumed.

This would mess up our previous measurements of cosmic distances and put into doubt the accelerating expansion of the universe and hence the existence of the Dark Energy hypothesised to explain it.

Am I right?
How was it regarded as the standard to begin with?

How was it regarded as the standard to begin with?
A type 1a supernova is produced by an exploding white dwarf star.

Now white dwarf stars all have a standard mass, so the brightness of the supernovae they produce is predictable.

Since brightness decreases with distance, we can use the difference between the observed brightness of a type 1a supernova and its predicted brightness to calculate how far away it is.

That's why type 1a supernovae are called 'cosmic mile markers' or 'standard candles'.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
A type 1a supernova is produced by an exploding white dwarf star.

Now white dwarf stars all have a standard mass, so the brightness of the supernovae they produce is predictable.

Since brightness decreases with distance, we can use the difference between the observed brightness of a type 1a supernova and its predicted brightness to calculate how far away it is.

That's why type 1a supernovae are called 'cosmic mile markers' or 'standard candles'.
How do we know all white dwarf stars have a standard mass? How do we know they all have the same composition?

How do we know all white dwarf stars have a standard mass? How do we know they all have the same composition?
It's all about 'stellar evolution'.

Too much tutoring to go into here, so see: White dwarf - Wikipedia

Our Sun (an average star) will evolve into a red giant, eject a beautiful nebula and end up as a white dwarf.

Attachments

• Stellar Evolution.jpg
    Stellar Evolution.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 103
I think LIGO observed several black hole mergers already.
Yes, the enormity of the universe is beyond our comprehension and black hole collisions are actually quite common.

Scientists can detect the gravitational waves caused by these mergers and at least ten have been detected in the past three years.

There's more information about the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory or LIGO here: LSC - LIGO Scientific Collaboration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.