vacuum in space

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As seen by an external observer, nothing ever falls into a black hole, even though it has a normal gravitational field.
It is said that an object falling towards a black hole would be in a strange sort of suspended animation and would be eternally slowing as it falls.

It's also said that as an object approaches the event horizon it'll become dimmer. Light from the object is redshifted & dimmed and the object would simply 'wink out' as it got close.

In fact, that's what happens to a collapsing star - its light also winks out, justifying the name 'black hole'.

Not sure about the need or usefulness of evacuated glass envelopes there. :p
Useful to protect those fragile electrodes if nothing else! :D

However, vacuum tube technology has two advantages in space flight applications.

Firstly, electrons travel faster in a vacuum than in a semiconductor and so computing can be faster with tubes.

Secondly, vacuum tubes are not as susceptible as semiconductors to the harsh radiation environment of outer space.

NASA is currently working on a new device which is a cross between today's transistors and the vacuum tubes of yesteryear. It's small and easily manufactured, but also fast and radiation-proof.

At the moment, the 'nano vacuum tube' is only at the "proof of concept" stage, but could operate some 10 times faster than the best silicon transistors.

I obtained this information here: Return of the Vacuum Tube | Science | AAAS

Years ago I did some calculations on nuclear event EMP. The magnitude cannot be replicated in any non-nuc environment. Basically the BH->e derrived field is incredible, impossible to shield irrespective of any thickness. In fact the shield becomes a transformer primary, the shielded contents within destroyed by a HV secondary. Forget skin equations.
I do not know if Soviets published any data on emp tests but their backup avionics are surely tube based as fly-by-wire becomes toast.

Dark____
Sorry if this sounds like a poke, just saying. The so-called dark whatever sounds like cargo cult pop science.

The transformer and motors may be toast.
Well, that would certainly leave a vacuum in my life!

Guess it would be back to the Stone Age then! :(

Attachments

• Flintstones.jpg
    Flintstones.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 89
Years ago I did some calculations on nuclear event EMP. The magnitude cannot be replicated in any non-nuc environment. Basically the BH->e derrived field is incredible, impossible to shield irrespective of any thickness. In fact the shield becomes a transformer primary, the shielded contents within destroyed by a HV secondary. Forget skin equations.
I do not know if Soviets published any data on emp tests but their backup avionics are surely tube based as fly-by-wire becomes toast.

Dark____
Sorry if this sounds like a poke, just saying. The so-called dark whatever sounds like cargo cult pop science.
Do you know more about the Poutine cruise missile ?
Do they have the technology for computers able to work next to an unshielded nuclear reactor ?
Nano vacuum tube ?

A vaccum we are totally enable to make.
Yes, we cannot produce a space entirely devoid of matter, so have to settle for a space from which most of the matter has been removed.

An approximation of a vacuum is a space with a low gaseous pressure - a pressure much less than standard atmospheric pressure which is 1000 mbar.

We can achieve an ultra-high vacuum (10^-12 mbar) in which there is a great deal of space between molecules.

To put it into proportion, if gas molecules were grains of sand, at ultra-high vacuum they would be 1,650 meters apart!

In 2015, researchers claimed to have achieved the first direct observation of quantum fluctuations by mapping out wiggles in a light wave passing through a vacuum.

This claim is still a matter of debate as some physicists question what the new experiment actually measures.

However, the researchers have now taken their experiment to the next level by 'squeezing' the vacuum and are able to observe the redistribution of the strange quantum fluctuations within it.

Physicists Say They've Manipulated 'Pure Nothingness' And Observed The Fallout

...there is random creation of particle pairs "from void".
That's a topic well worth expanding on, so I went to this source Dr Michael G Strauss: Are Virtual Particles Real? and extracted some relevant information.

"A quantum vacuum can be thought of as a bubbling sea of many different kinds of fields. These fields have the potential of creating particles out of nothing.

A particle and its antiparticle (e.g. an electron and a positron) can come into existence from "nothing" where the "nothing" is the quantum vacuum. Except for near a strong gravitational field like a black hole, these particles from nothing will quickly annihilate each other and cease to exist, and are thus called "virtual" particles."

They are the usual particles of nature that are created for a brief moment, but must quickly be annihilated or conservation of energy would be permanently violated. Nature allows a quick violation of conservation of energy, but not a permanent violation."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.