Tesla Cybertruck?

Probably last as long as the 1976CadillacMirage.
They made about 204 of them, 500cid engine, demand never materialized.

Attachments

• 1976CadillacMirage.jpg
    1976CadillacMirage.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Hmm - I’m not such a big fan of the looks. Needs a little work, but I guess a little aesthetic numbness from repeated exposure helps :)

The practicality of pickups in general, and this one especially is fantastic.

I already have a pickup (a VW Amarok), and this is the kind of car that most suits my needs and use.

There are two impediments for the Cybertruck.

It’s too big to fit in a parking house, and parking in the street is much harder with a long car.

The biggest problem is that it’s too heavy to be driven on a regular B class licence. You’re going too need a C1 light truck/lorry licence to drive it here, and that runs an extra 20k kr ($2000) to get (with the E for pulling a trailer).

Johan-Kr

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
People who "need" a truck often are just feeding a desire and find the proposed utility of a truck to be a perfect excuse to do so.
Well that's a quick and easy judgement of truck owners. :p (I am not one)
Don't forget that the truck craze was originally fueled by fewer regulations than passenger cars - and thus lower prices and better value. The Chevy S10 sold millions because it was cheap and practical. That's something a lot of trucks now are not, and the Tesla certainly isn't.

I do agree that the Cybertruck is going to hit the same "Look at ME!" market as the Hummer. At least the Tesla is electric.

Its ugly. Probably the ugliest vehicle ever built, despite the presence of the Fiat Multipla and the Ssang Young Actyon.

It may look futuristic to some but imagine yourself in this in regular traffic? A Dodge Challenger looks grotesque in European traffic, I cannot imagine anything like this to fit anywhere in the world. And it showed how much testing is done on Tesla products - it failed its premiere...

Fiat Multipla is ugliest sh.. I have ever seen.

I started typing in google f150, f250, f350, f450, f550 cmon how many trucks Ford make..

Last edited:
I thought electric vehicles were suppossed to be environmental. Look at the size of that thing. It weighs at least 1000lbs more than that large F150. And most of these monstrosities will be driven by one person to get coffee. The people who use there pick ups for what there meant for ( contractors etc. ) will not be buying these. And what happens when one of these hits a Honda Civic? So whats the point?

PU trucks are for those who buy their plywood in whole sheets and take it to their shop to build speakers.

10 to 20 sheets at a time. And for hauling horses, boats, concrete blocks, or a load of speakers to a gig. You could do any of that with a car, but not if you want it to last 200k or 300k miles. F250’s have been known to do that.

The biggest baddest 4WDs are only really good for playing in the mud. Which in most places will just get you ticketed for trespass. The 2WD versions are all that’s needed for road use, cost less, and easier to maintain. The problem with the T is that it ay cost as much to maintain is just buying a new one every 5 years.

For commuting to work a bicycle works just fine.

Max, et al, having driven 2 different Ford Rangers for about 15 yrs now, and even though now retired, I still use it as a truck to haul gardening materials too dirty for the wife’s Subaru Forester, and sheet goods for the occasional personal projects, and can’t quite envision not having that option.
The downside to this particular model is the crappy fuel economy compared to the Forester, and the paucity of creature comforts that came with the under $20K CDN sticker price . Ford discontinued the designation for about 10yrs, and the recently released new model is now about halfway between the old Ranger and base F150 in size, starts at around $32K, and is more feature laden than a lot of folks might want for a budget small truck.
There are some design / feature aspects of the Tesla that make sense to me for a work or recreation vehicle, and if/when they make it to production levels of the Model3*, I’d bet that several major battery tech innovations will arrive that will not only increase range per charge, but reduce charging time - and possibly weight factor - and when market volume demand ramps up when the other major vehicle makers migrate to fully battery operated designs, the unit cost as well.
Now if Elon and the boys could only perfect the Star Trek transporter so we don’t need to rely on airliners for the bulk of travel - or full body immersion VR suits / neural implants to eliminate the need for physical travel at all - we could maybe get serious about reducing our environmental impact. Once Greenland’s ice sheet melts we’ll have access to a fresh supply of rare earth elements, which can only be a good thing, right?
* Speaking of the Model 3, I can’t go a day without seeing at least half a dozen of them - far more than the S or X.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...Ford Rangers...

Chris indeed seems to belong in a (small) truck. It is the monster F150 crew cabs et all that, when used as a sedan, are most obnoxious.

I have driven Chris’ Ford, and i couldn’t live with it.

I have a buddy who wouldn’t consider anything but his even smaller Toyota truck (with the indestructable B-something 4-banger).

dave

I have driven Chris’ Ford, and i couldn’t live with it.

dave

funny, I felt the same way about the tupperware S10 :D - but then it has seen much more service as a bulldozer/tractor than either of my Fords, so whatcha gonna do?

The latest trend at my former work was for the big GMC diesels and manly Rams. Those things are almost as easy to park as a 16ft cube van.