Tesla Cybertruck?

You do realise that for a large percentage of the world's population that is a negative...

Yes I know. I like making fun of the people who grunt, pump their fist 👊 proud something is always made in America. Don’t get me wrong I love my country. But many are too shortsighted and wave the flag. That the rest of the world is been starting to laugh at us for the last decade. But we are still living off a once proud and educated country that made top quality products. Now we mostly order it offshore white box slap a American CO. Name on something that was designed for highest profits margins not quality.
Tesla comes from a ingenious far sighted man from South Africa. Having nothing to lay clams as being American Made product other then a great capitalist Corporate nation to get venture capital and have the ability to make millions in this great country.
Yes my first thought was” OH MY GOD YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING “ when I first seen that that truck. But then again it’s so ugly it’s cool it’s bad ***. I though Tesla was ugly to when they first came out.
The only thing that would make Tesla better is if Toyota made it in Japan fit and finish with quality.

The bloom is already off the lithium rose. Even cobalt is coming into supply-demand balance.

Lithium isn't that difficult to extract. The difficult part comes in trying to recycle components of a spent lithium ion battery.

When Tesla introduced their electric car the big three Ford GM and Chrysler laughed at them..

and the taxpayers, who are subsidizing your ride are crying.

At this point it's a physical impossibility to attain the energy density of gasoline with a lithium battery. Me, I keep a can of aviation fuel around to power the snow-blower!

Lithium isn't that difficult to extract. The difficult part comes in trying to recycle components of a spent lithium ion battery.

Is there any worldwide statistics on how much lithium is going to stop the underground layers?
I have argued with many employees of the local Municipality about the farce that means throwing the batteries in the yellow containers here ..... just a staging ..... It recovers! They tell me, show me how and where, I tell them!
Ehhhhh ....... hey, stop bothering, I'm working!

Let me first admit I admire people that dare do otherwise.
When I look at the CyberTruck, it looks like a prototype made for a SCI-FI film with a moderate budget. Personally, I wouldn’t call it elegant but rather futuristic.
When I am told it is for real sale, made in stainless steel and with “unbreakable” windows (disregarding the demonstration given by Elon Musk), I rather see it as a light personnel armored vehicle without a gun.
Is Tesla expecting the more wealthy to drive around in armored cars in the US cities for their safety in the near future? Without the more discrete armoring offered by Mercedes, Maybach, Audi or Cadillac? Indeed, CyberTruck could look like a car for trouble areas.
The first Tesla’s sold also in Europe because of the best driving distance, a quite elegant design, reasonable space inside and generous tax reductions by the countries because it was seen as environment friendly.
The new CyberTruck will be heavy, huge in outer dimension, arguably pretty and expensive in maintenance due to expensive elements and processes. It may be argued it will last longer but is that necessarily meaning successful? Will the European countries still give tax reduction for something like this? In Europe we use (mainly) European and Japanese/Korean cars until close to 20 years of age. After almost 20 years they are technically outdated and also worn out. Will A CyberTruck be used for 30 or 40 years with the maintenance costs that follow?
For me, the F150 or the Dodge RAM are examples of the typical and practical US-type pickup trucks that are versatile when removals have to be carried out. The CyberTruck seems to be less practical when large items have to be moved due to the cut rear. Even the F150 or Dodge RAM are difficult to park in Europe as parking lots are smaller than in the US – with the CyberTruck it will only be worse.

My impression is that no windows are “unbreakable” knowing what a modern panser-granate can pass. Even bullet-proof windows, I believe, prevent rather small and light objects from passing the window such that the passengers are safe. It does not mean that a bullet will not leave traces in the window (I have never had a bullet-proof car I admit). Laminated windows have existed for long. The outer hard layer prevents wear that would else make the window less transparent. The following flexible layer absorbs the kinetic energy of the bullet. Starting with a flexible layer will only leave it scratched in short time. For decades the car manufacturers have been looking for windshields that can handle the moderate energy from small stones being thrown up by a nearby car - they have not yet managed. Perhaps Mr. Musk is a bit too futuristic.

At least I admire the courage of the Tesla investors. The CyberTruck must be for the US market and a few foreign markets where safety is a problem. Make sure there are charging stations in such places. It reminds me of the Hummer that came from a military need but rather quickly was discarded for civil use.

Note that when they threw a tennis ball at the tesla truck window it cracked.

El cristal "indestructible" de Tesla se rompio en p... | Pagina12

"Well, not bad, there is room for improvement," tycoon Elon Musk was comforted at the laughter of those attending the Los Angeles auto show during the presentation of the new creation of Tesla Motors. Musk had ensured that the Cybertruck pick up had "indestructible" armored crystals, but they exploded in view of everyone when he tried to test them by throwing a metal ball. "Maybe it was too strong," Musk joked with the assistant who broke the windows.

Attachments

• tesla-frederic-20j-20brown-20afp.jpg
    tesla-frederic-20j-20brown-20afp.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 228
  • screenshot-20191122-203240-chrome.jpg
    screenshot-20191122-203240-chrome.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 227
  • EKAUCftW4AEUO0H.png
    EKAUCftW4AEUO0H.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 230
With a price of 40k, it's apparent that they've made some good engineering decisions on how to use the steel into the strength of the truck. I'll be buying after the first year production. I would anticipate it selling very well in suburban areas. Honestly, I see it being innovative enough to take significant market. I would anticipate that it will consume much of the Tesla car market as well.

Its ugly. Probably the ugliest vehicle ever built, despite the presence of the Fiat Multipla and the Ssang Young Actyon.

It may look futuristic to some but imagine yourself in this in regular traffic? A Dodge Challenger looks grotesque in European traffic, I cannot imagine anything like this to fit anywhere in the world. And it showed how much testing is done on Tesla products - it failed its premiere...

Bonsai - That’s what my wife said the first time she saw me undressed, but she sorta got used to it. :eek: “I guess form follows function?”

Elon certainly created an impression with this fugly truckling, and my main curiosity is how much of the new design lexicon of what’s under the skin will germinate into the products of the major players.

While somewhat like the JWST, there are always major technological breakthroughs just around the corner - solid state batteries, etc - as has been said before, I think we need to consider the environmental impact of the product’s entire life cycle and logistics of numerous materials’ supply chains before patting ourselves on the back over reducing tailpipe emissions while achieving higher levels of performance.
How much are liability insurance rates gonna increase when poorly secured loads fly off the back of a pickup truck accelerating at 0-60mph in under 3 seconds. ;)

Musk knows that trucks have largely become a status symbol, at least in the US.

Much like sports cars that never see their redline, trucks are often no more than a shuttle for the kids, grocery getters, or for commuting to work. People who "need" a truck often are just feeding a desire and find the proposed utility of a truck to be a perfect excuse to do so. Most would be much better off with a nice sedan, and renting a U-haul once a year when they need to haul something.

When the Hummer hit the streets in the 90's, it was the utilitarian military surplus HMMWV Humvee. Fresh off the heels of war-TV, when we watched real conflict unfold nightly on prime time. The Humvee was a co-star that somehow found the spotlight. At a time when the SUV craze was just beginning, the Humvee was on the extreme edge. A radical Jeep with extreme ground clearance and no creature comfort whatsoever. What a status statement, you couldn't help but want it.

In today's context, the Tesla gives off a similar vibe from the outside. Sort of HMMWV meets MadMax, I *almost* have to like it. It would need a Spartan interior to complete the statement. Perhaps it's my age, but the there seems to be stylistic reference to the F117 stealth fighter, which would be a bit too obvious and corny to me.

I believe there is an important difference in preferences between the US, Europe and Asia.

The US tradition is based on cheap petrol, probably no real car taxes, the size of the land (and infrastructure) and a long lasting fascination of POWER.
Most American men probably dream about a pickup (for the practical use) and a sports car for the fun. The CyberTruck is trying to combine these two rather diverse aims in a singe car.

Europe has for very long had expensive petrol (mostly import), car taxes and narrow roads because many cities were founded before the cars became a normal commodity. Many citizens look for a practical family car with small dimensions and moderate costs or for higher quality leisure cars (sedan) of moderate size. The old Italian dream of a smart sports car alone on a beautiful curved mountain road died long ago with the overpopulation of cars.

The Asians are somewhat in the same situation as the Europeans: No cheap petrol, heavily crowded and compact cities, a sometimes insufficient infrastructure and a previously limited economy.

Therefore, I believe we have ended up with rather different car traditions and while the CyberTruck fits into US tradition, I believe it has a limited appeal on other continents. Perhaps Australia, but they seem to prefer own or Asian cars of the more rugged utility type. Also the distances could be a problem in Australia.

Last edited:
I believe there is an important difference in preferences between the US, Europe and Asia.
.......Perhaps Australia, but they seem to prefer own or Asian cars of the more rugged utility type. Also the distances could be a problem in Australia.
The crazy wide Hummer and F250 etc are a big non success here, the Tesla looks to be just as unweildy on road and for parking and too wide wheel base for established bush dirt and sand tracks.
For some cashed up bogans (local rednecks) a customised version might be the thing, but Aussies go for 4wd utes like Mitsubishi Triton or equivalents....useful as trades vehicle and for recreaction.
The Tesla looks to be an off the shelf Robocop/forces vehicle....5+1 seating, bulletproof glass/panels, maybe that is the market aimed for.
If Tesla make a slightly downsized version the equivalent of the Triton et al then that would be a real game changer.
Tradies utes can require significant range for each days work, I see application for building site/mine site parking drop in supercharging gensets, a 20ft container genset would be ideal.