Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What Would You Do If You're All On Your Own
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2019, 11:39 PM   #11
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thank you everyone for your advice and input, much appreciated!

I'll make a better response soon to everyone. Forgot to mention that I don't sleep much either so that adds to the day to day etc. Had a few beverages to wind down a bit so not in the best shape to try and be intelligent right now, or try anyhow etc..

Last edited by DaveCan; 4th October 2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 5th October 2019, 06:39 AM   #12
synonymous is offline synonymous  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to synonymous
No matter what circumstances you are in, enjoy yourself.
Old 5th October 2019, 05:55 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I think the hard part lately has just been the fact that I've had no family since 15, and sometimes things get tough that way.. I'm thankful for my job and the hours I'm putting in are getting me close to being able to pay cash for a few big ticket items so that is cool!

I'm a work and come home kind of person. I love to just be home after long hours rather than anything social like a pub or whatever. Problem is I need to get out of this house as there are too many memories and also I keep hearing things in my sleep like my wife is walking around and her cat etc, plus when I clean I still find sometimes a strand or two of her long beautiful hair. Even in my car the other day the sun lit up a strand of her hair blowing strait out towards the passenger seat from the heating duct.

Anyhow I kind of wish I never posted as I feel like a dork but I guess I needed some input..

The good things are yes I can do whatever I want, but I could do that pretty much anyways before. She was cool with me building refrigerator sized speaker cabs if I wanted too, and I could have rebuilt something moterized inside if that was something I wanted to do.. Just trying to touch on some of the comments, advice, and input rather than quoting everyone..

My plan.. Keep working and slow down on the things that are bad for me and wreaking my sleep. Replace my car or keep it and build a small tiny house, as that is kind of what I want right now. I want to be minimalist in all my domestic life and use the KISS principle for everything which I pretty much always do anyhow.. Just got to shake the feeling of coming home to the place that used to be 'us'.. I might even just get a camper to put in the yard and live there instead of the house while all the other things hopefully fall into place..

Thanks for all the input!
Old 5th October 2019, 06:37 PM   #14
synonymous is offline synonymous  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to synonymous
My buddy the other day woke up to finding that his truck was repossessed, then to find that his wife wasn't paying the bills on the house and her other credit cards.

Just think of all the bullets you're missing out on being in front of
Old 5th October 2019, 11:25 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

^
Yeah that would be really crummy for sure. I know that type of thing happens to lots of guys and I guess sometimes gals as well. I wonder if she has an addiction that he wasn't aware of? Dunno, sorry about your friend and all that mess to deal with.
Old 5th October 2019, 11:52 PM   #16
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

A different, smaller house could be the best idea. An interesting project, a big change,
no haunting memories, plus extra money left over from the old house.
Old 6th October 2019, 12:59 AM   #17
MarsBravo is offline MarsBravo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Being able to be on your own is not gifted to so many people. And there are two sides to it also. When your on one side enjoying solitude, looking over the ocean to the yonder shore this yarning and desire flames the soul. But when once reached it, the memory of this stillness and pivotal view lost, magnitize another longing, balancing the experience.
It is not the place where you are, it is the track where upon you're going.

You're traveling a (your) unique path, which will co´ncide with others (even here on diy), and guide and confuse during the trip. My old man, passed away in '94, made an extreme steep climb from utter loneliness to celebrated generousity in public office. Mine is different, but knowing all this is simply blessing.
My hand was taken by my wife in '92, our daughter is now about to start her own path and make her own choises. Curious and blissfull. And a bitter very very remote past... past.

Last edited by MarsBravo; 6th October 2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 6th October 2019, 02:02 AM   #18
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dave don't be the guy living in his trailer, that will not end well. Get out of that house, sell it and get a nice condo or something, some place that is just "you" not "us". Travel. Seriously, it will do you good. Fly to Europe for a week, or to the Caribbean, or drive to Fredericton, whatever works for you, just get a change of scenery and some rest.

Sadly, my answer to "What would I do on my own" is probably drink to excess, but that is never a solution to anything. I happen to be under a lot of stress right now, looking at a job change and move, and I realized my alcohol intake had gone up quite a bit while I fret about it, which only made my sense of confusion even worse. (If this job comes through my salary will increase >50% but I will have to move to Montreal, and my wife is not ready to move so paying for two households will eat up the pay increase.)
Old 6th October 2019, 02:11 AM   #19
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

sometimes making changes or going away is not helpful, you have to be ready, and you’ll know when that is. When you’ve already suffered a big change, some familiarity and stability is good, less to deal with whilst you heal.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 6th October 2019, 02:54 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Actually I was thinking on asking my boss if I could put a trailer outback the plant as we are in a sort of industrial area. I could make it nice with a little deck and also then be like onsite security as well, plus have free utilities lol. I'd just let this house I'm in sit and at some point when I can figure things out better decide what to do with it. I like the idea sort of, of living on the back lot at work. No commute, a feeling of less isolation etc etc. Would be kind of weird though I guess, but it's a short term low cost idea that intrigues me right now for some reason.

What Would You Do If You're All On Your OwnHide this!Advertise here!