What causes grainy sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Resistor noise is just common knowledge. Are you saying it affects perceived grain in sound? It would then follow that higher resistor values and higher ambient temperature would also increase grain. Don't think i agree with any of this. Carbon composition and carbon film resistors may have audible issues but grain imho is not one of them.

Certainly. The current noise is significant only in higher current circuits, while temperature noise is always there and is dominant at lower current/higher resistor values. Why should one of these noise types add grain and the other not? They have a similar spectral distribution.

some people say the opposite and that it is possible by measuring the proper things to make different amplifiers sound the same

The Carver Challenge | Stereophile.com

I, essentially, agree with that conclusion. The problem, however, becomes knowing exactly which objective parameters directly correlate to which subjective sound characteristics, and to what degree they are correlated. I think there are some designers who know all/most of the proper correlations, but I suspect that they are a clear minority. I suspect this is because the 'secret formula' is not much based on the expected engineering view of high performance amplification, the most obvious of which is the pursuit of vanishingly low, long ago inaudibly low, harmonic distortion.

I should state that I do NOT believe in audio magic. I believe that if the sound is subjectively different, then the signal must, somehow, also be physically different. Objectivists would agree with that conclusion, however, they don't believe the subjective sound is actually ever different if they don't detect an obvious correlation in a standard battery of parameter measurements. Which, again, I think, begs the question of whether they're looking at the right parameters, and in the right context?

I suggest that anyone concluding that nothing objective is being missed, and that the mass numbers of listeners who hear a difference are ALL delusional, is a too convient head burying dodge, if I can risk calling it that.

How does one learn which types are “noisy”. Is anybody keeping a table of these?

Buy yourself a copy of the most recent version of "The Art of Electronics" -- there's a table right in there. Some nice surprises in there like the ZTX851.

I agree with Fast Eddy -- DC offset, and DC on trimmers which may, over time, cause failure and may be somewhat non-linear with age.

Johnego et all, Stewart was talking about known noisy *transistors.*. There is plenty out there on resistor noise.

Oops, mea culpa! I have stated about transistor noise. I think the common agreement is that transistor noise is irrelevant in amplifier level. But may be I'm the only one who believe transistor noise is important in input stage of an amplifier. Unfortunately low noise transistors are either low voltage (45v) or low current gain (<300). So there's a trade off as usual.

I prefer low noise transistor for sound accuracy/naturalness, and I purchase plenty to get the highest current gain for dynamic performance especially in simple stage.

Many fake transistors sound grainy. Absolutely.

Resistor noise is just common knowledge. Are you saying it affects perceived grain in sound?

Resistors have minor effect on graininess. With complex amp, everything must be optimized before we can hear the resistor effect. It is a usual trade off, when the high is there, transparent, dynamic, then you tend to have grainy sound (as opposed to smooth), when the sound is smooth you tend to have the highs rolled off, less dynamic sound. The right balance is a personal taste, or a financial thing.

i think graininess occurs, to sum it up to a very short statement, when a amplifier, after a step transient (as clear example), does not settle immediately, but has a more or less short, after-ripple or waving. this gives a grainy "noise" when fed real, complex, signals. amplifiers with a minimum of this, sound less grainy.

I question the idea that noisy components implies grain. I would’ve thought noisy components would reveal themselves as elevated noise floors. But if I have a noise floor that is at -118dB, how does a “noisy” component create grain at audible levels? Is there some more nuanced definition of noise that we should be thinking about?

I question the idea that noisy components implies grain. I would’ve thought noisy components would reveal themselves as elevated noise floors.

You're right. I don't remember if someone have said that noise implies grain. But: defective components can be grainy or have excessive noise. Old caps, old pots, fake transistors. I use Allen-Bradley carbon composition, which is a noisy resistor, to avoid grainy sound.

i think graininess occurs, to sum it up to a very short statement, when a amplifier, after a step transient (as clear example), does not settle immediately, but has a more or less short, after-ripple or waving. this gives a grainy "noise" when fed real, complex, signals. amplifiers with a minimum of this, sound less grainy.

Intermodulation. Many causes. The above is only one (and you don't need complex signal). This covers the knowns and the unknowns.

I think old caps under their original tolerance can cause grain, not that they add grain, more that they lack body, which gives a grainy sound. Particularly the power supply caps.

I wouldn't say grain is directly because of noisey components, its because of distortion. Noise can add distortion.

A clean power supply with new components will lower grainy, harsh, fuzzy sound and give a fuller sound.

I won't say I'm correct. It's just how I believe it from my experience

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.