Ignorance as a resource

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
We are all familiar with the current obsession of collection information, any information, about peoples' preferences, habits, personal data, etc, to be used in targeted sales activities.

How about exploiting peoples' ingnorance? For example, if you are a used car salesman, it would be of value to know that your customer knows f*ck all about cars.

This idea has been tested by John McAfee, the antivirus czar and US presidential hopeful.

A thought experiment with John McAfee | Spectator USA

What ye think?

Jan

Can't really add anything intelligent to this concept, which I suppose is a personal data point of some kind. I can only say I'm somewhat disinclined to vote for the presidential candidate who looks like he just crawled out from under a pier somewhere (oops, there's another one).

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Lets extend this concept (of ignorance as a resource). Suppose you are a large audio interlink manufacturer and you are looking at the best way to find prospective customers.

I posit that it would be very valuable to have a database of customers who are technically ignorant. You can then weave a nice story and start raking in money.

Jan

I like the consensual part. Fortunately, no whales have been raped in the process. But a lot of people are f****d by their ignorance, often amplified by their preconceptions, in the world of audio. I see signs that some professionals on this site might even feed these preconceptions, whereas one would assume that they knew better. Pavel's point.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You have a good point, Jan. Ignorance is a resource of many discussions here. Sadly, at least to me, ignorance is misused by some highly regarded members to help them to get crowds of supporters and potential customers.

The question then becomes whether it is ethical to take advantage of people's ignorance. In this age of universal knowledge at anyone's finger tips, one could assume that ignorance is a personal decision, a way of life. In that case, why am I not allowed to take advantage of it?

Is it unethical of the Bybee's of this world to take a ride on peoples' ignorance and translate that into a Bentley?

Jan

Last edited:
We are all familiar with the current obsession of collection information, any information, about peoples' preferences, habits, personal data, etc, to be used in targeted sales activities.

How about exploiting peoples' ingnorance? For example, if you are a used car salesman, it would be of value to know that your customer knows f*ck all about cars.

This idea has been tested by John McAfee, the antivirus czar and US presidential hopeful.

A thought experiment with John McAfee | Spectator USA

What ye think?

Jan

Just as an aside- McAfee is totally nuts himself, a heavy drug user, likely complicit in cryptocurrency pump and dump schemes, and is suspected of murdering his neighbor in Belize.

Even though this concept is valid I have a hard time taking anything he says seriously.

The question then becomes whether it is ethical to take advantage of people's ignorance. In this age of universal knowledge at anyone's finger tips, one could assume that ignorance is a personal decision, a way of life. In that case, why am I not allowed to take advantage of it?

Is it unethical of the Bybee's of this world to take a ride on peoples' ignorance and translate that into a Bentley?

Jan

I’d consider it unethical, but it’s pretty harmless as far as scams go. Presumably BQP buyers are not exactly poor, and the devices don’t pretend to do anything serious or health and safety related. He’s just crowdfunding a Bentley from other Bentley owners. Still unethical, but at least it’s not preying on the sick and desperate like so many others.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I’d consider it unethical, but it’s pretty harmless as far as scams go. Presumably BQP buyers are not exactly poor, and the devices don’t pretend to do anything serious or health and safety related. He’s just crowdfunding a Bentley from other Bentley owners. Still unethical, but at least it’s not preying on the sick and desperate like so many others.

Yeah but embezzling a rich guy is still embezzling, no? And I am not sure it's only the rich.

Jan

I am reading something, and it is really irrelevant who said it, I try to think about it and judge it on the contents. I am surprised you would judge something on who said it rather than what was said.

Jan

I agree, you’re right, it doesn’t matter who said it.

I should have selectively quoted the part about antivirus czar and presidential hopeful (wishful thinking since he’s a fugitive). I’m also not too thrilled with giving him clicks, but that’s another matter.

Yeah but embezzling a rich guy is still embezzling, no? And I am not sure it's only the rich.

Jan

Yeah, I did still say it was unethical. It might not be quite as unethical as most similar schemes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.