Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I planned only to follow thus thread but not post......

I think scottjoplin is using sarcasm Pano, I posed the same question to a 'raw only' preachy pious vegan and he couldnt answer, none of them I've met can.

I'll eat just about any food in moderation as long as it's made from scratch, tis the way I was raised inside a very nutritionaly savvie sporting family.

He's a Welsh Dragon.....

None of the raws / vegans / veggies I've met, all end up preaching.
I've asked people who eat a small amount of meat to absolute meat gluttons the same question in front of a few hard-core none meaties.
Still no answer.

Edit:
Some of the people I've put this to are both very good friends and Hindu.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've heard that one quite a few times. I always thought it was just a joke because it doesn't even make sense to me. Do people really think there would be competition for food between livestock and humans if the human world went vegan? How would that even work?

Sorry, I always thought that was a joke question. What sort of answer are you looking for?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, I know the reply above sounds like avoidance, but it's not. I never took the question seriously. (40 years of goofy questions and bad jokes)

But let's say that all the humans go to a vegan diet, would they eat up all the animal food? Of course not. Since it would takes generations for the change to happen, livestock populations would decrease as the world's diet shifted. As more and more people became vegan, there would be fewer and fewer livestock animals that need food. And since animal based food is so protein inefficient, for every cow, sheep, pig or chicken that ceases to exist, there is a large net gain in food stuff available to humans. We could end up with a lot more food than we have now. Although we probably would not need to grow as much.

But if we want to entertain a magical hypothetical that suddenly every person in the world becomes a vegan, then yeah, that might be a problem. :D

Excerpt taken from "http://befairbevegan.com/the-planet.html"

WHAT'S DESTROYING THE PLANET?
356 animal lives

401,500 gallons of water

10,950 sq. ft. of rain forest

14,600 lbs of grain

7,300 lbs of Co2

This is the short list of what each of us plunders every year of our non-vegan lives, and what each of us spares simply by living as a vegan. If animal agriculture is the single greatest threat to the environment, it is also one of the few disasters we can control. In fact, we can do better than control it, we can end it in exactly the same way we created it: with our daily food and product choices.

If anyone is interested in information about animal agriculture and its effects on the planet, click the link below.

The facts

That is nonsense [typical of fundamentalist propaganda and that is what it is] because it fails to consider that the world has existed for a very long time with vast numbers of ruminant grazing animals which all fart and burp too.These animals have simply been replaced by domestic animals.Yes there might be more domesticated animals but you can't simply ignore the millions of grazing animals that have populated the earth for hundreds of thousands of years.

The real threat to the planet comes from being too many of us.We have become a plague species.Anything else like veganism is just shuffling deck chairs.
If you really want to be responsible don't have children.

That is nonsense [typical of fundamentalist propaganda and that is what it is] because it fails to consider that the world has existed for a very long time with vast numbers of ruminant grazing animals which all fart and burp too.These animals have simply been replaced by domestic animals.Yes there might be more domesticated animals but you can't simply ignore the millions of grazing animals that have populated the earth for hundreds of thousands of years.

The real threat to the planet comes from being too many of us.We have become a plague species.Anything else like veganism is just shuffling deck chairs.
If you really want to be responsible don't have children.

I dont agree that its fundamentalist propaganda, each point has underneath it a link to detailed studies, or government websites, etc, of where all this information came from. Most of which could be considered as a reliable source. At the very least its an indication of the consequence of animal agriculture.

Status
Not open for further replies.