John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. A lot of assumptions baked into that. You were in debating club, maybe?

I do sighted listening, blind listening, blind testing of others, and measuring. too.

I don't completely dismiss the claims of others in most cases when there could be some plausible explanation. Those silly ground boxes I don't claim to find plausible. I do find it plausible that someone could change the sound of a dac by putting a film cap across the clock power pins. Its clearly not impossible.
If they presented measurable difference and the difference was large enough, then sure, why not. Not when the difference went from inaudible distortion level to even further inaudible distortion level.

However, I do doubt many things. Usually keep them to myself though. No good comes from being overly negative. People don't want to hear it.

By the way, I don't find people as not worthy. I find some ideas implausible.
You are free to rely on your own view as a guide. Have you consulted the experts who don't have a dog in the race about the DAC audibility?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
From time to time we seems to find the need to backup our fellow audio hobbyist. I have invited Mark several times to my home to just talk and to listen. I have found Mark to be extremely knowledgeable in electronics and from what he tells me about my system, I agree with so i trust his hearing judgment. We are going to get together again and catch up this Saturday.

:)

THx-Richard Marsh

Last edited:
I'm sorry, guess I missed it. What mistake was that?

You first!

Edit:

But you won't, so see below. And that will do it for me.

Mark, you are right, one should not bus through Indochina and post on a mobile after having a beer or two.I was generalizing from a AK4490 board I worked on.

Can't link, but if you look at the AKM datasheet, figure 41, that is a recommended circuit.

Mark, it was you yourself who corrected me! On the 2nd of May.

Either I have to call shenanigans, or diagnose you with suffering from short term memory loss, but since I am not medically qualified, it will have to be the former.

Usually in humans numerous bias effects are simultaneous at work, especially when multidimensional effects are under examination, and normally it is most likely a combination of several biases having an impact on our perception and decisions.

When trying to simplify the complex reality of "hearing" i subsumed the various bias effects under the term "distraction" to get a distinction between the physiological response of the "apparatus" (that might be influenced by other confounding variables too) and the - somewhere at the end - resulting perception.

Obviously it is a crude instrument and oversimplification as we know that there exist several feedback mechanism and so even the physiological response is not working independently from the of the system.

But even on this simplified level it fits to the evidence given by experiments where the same sensory difference was presented to the same group of particpants under different test regimes.
The evidence - corrobated whenever such experiments were done/published - is that the specific tasks (presented by each test protocol) give different proportion of correct responses.

Further other confounding variables like differently worded instructions, money bets or rewards led to different results when used in combination with the same test protocol.

This is from Mola Mola page and I am more to this approach then the KIS, make it simple as possible but not simpler (AE)

"You'd almost forget that getting closer to the sound as crafted by the artist really means keeping the replay system from changing it. Turning this simple insight into hardware is probably the toughest way to do audio. All simple circuits change the signal audibly, so one has to get to grips with more complicated ones that don't."

That applies though regardless of whether differences can be detected.

Jakob is trying to help you in his answers - perception is not an immutable, unchanging, invariant sense. To ignore this fact & try to 'prove' that an informal test which ignores all the understanding cognitive science has accumulated is a 'reliable' way of discovering truth is foolish at best & disingenuous at worst.

Find what works for you is what I believe Jakob is saying - forget about 'proving' to others

It isn't small but it is both transient and unexpected.
What do you consider transient? AFAIR, the gorilla is in view for maybe 5 secs or more? Are you suggesting that our visual perception window is blind to anything 'unexpected' lasting less than 5 secs?
In the verification through blind testing of audio claims, neither necessarily apply, depending on how you setup your test.
What it demonstrates is the nature of perception - visual blindness - the equivalent exists in auditory perception.

I keep hearing my phone when it isn't ringing, which is really starting to **** me off, and no, it's not tinnitus, I have that as well.

Edit: Tinnitus is actually very interesting when you look into it, if you do you will start to realise that taking as gospel what people say they hear is a big mistake.

Last edited:
*Yawns* Still busy twisting words ? What makes you think I'd suggest anything that stupid ? Considering quite a few people do see the gorilla (about 50%), it is obvious that it doesn't work that way.

Visual (or auditory) blindness is real but can be taken into account into the design of a test. Noone forces you to use naive subjects.

*Yawns* Still busy twisting words ? What makes you think I'd suggest anything that stupid ?
Because you said the words as is plain to see & it's rather difficult to be blind to them :rolleyes:. What else did you mean by "transient & unexpected" & how do those two factors explain why ~50% of people don't perceive the gorilla?
Considering quite a few people do see the gorilla (about 50%), it is obvious that it doesn't work that way.
Ah so you do see the error in your statement - so how do you explain the 'blindness' in ~50% of the people?

Visual (or auditory) blindness is real but can be taken into account into the design of a test. Noone forces you to use naive subjects.
If you can state what you believe causes the "blindness" in the test maybe it would be more conducive to discussion - stating "Noone forces you to use naive subjects" has some underlying premises in it that it would be interesting to tease out.

Status
Not open for further replies.