John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
"As you go down from there I'm not sure how far you can go before there is something 'obviously' wrong with them "

I heard a 12 grand pair of speakers (I will refrain from naming the brand - but everyone's been raving about them over the past few years) in December last year. I thought they were absolutely terrible. The guy who was demoing them told me 'they are still running in - they'll sound great after about 200 hours'. Clearly he had high hopes . . .

I had a pair of £180 Q Acoustics 320's (donated to one of the sons now). I can listen to orchestral music on them and think, yes, they are ok, but as soon as I put some pop or rock on, I can hear they are not right in the same way a better speaker is. But, for folks on a budget, they are good value for money and very nicely made.

I really like my B&W's 703's (big relaxed sound) and the KEF LS50's sing fantastically.

I've heard some very good speakers over the last few years - various high end Dali's, KEF Blades, Graham Audio (LS3 and LS5 licensed builds), big B&W's.

Speakers are very listener specific, but, other than the KEF LS50's (outliers in a good way IMV), I think the break point for speakers is about 2 or 3 grand - after that you pay a lot of money for relatively small increments in performance except for ones of course that are just plain disappointing.

I have a pair of JBL LSR305 I use as computer speakers and I'd say they are also outliers. Obviously they lack low end, and the lows sound boxy, but overall they sound better than any active speaker should for $99 each. The measurements are pretty good, too.

Oh, just to break the monotony ---- how about something else to talk about?

When we measure a power amp or a CD player and say something isnt right about CD's or something isnt right about the amp sound and so we measure 20-20Khz and find the distortion is pretty low from both. So, obviously, you are imagining things because the THD is too low to hear. This is a daily comment. yet many insist the CD isnt as good as analog. Or that the PAmp doesnt sound like it is accurate. Sound familiar? And, so goes the argument regarding high GNFB.

How many people are using amplifiers right now which has a thd curve shaped like this one: THD rising up at the high end but cut off at 20Khz? if measured to higher frequency we would see gross levels of THD.

But a CD player has no music signal above 20KHz so there should be no audible distortion. But, what if there were a lot of HF above 20KHz? Would not that affect the sound below 20KHz? Possibly. Well there is a lot of HF coming from CD players using upsampling etal. if the PAmp could amplify it with as low THD as at 1Khz all would be fine. But the graph shows it isnt doing so well above 20KHZ where THD is on a steep upward direction.

Here is typically what you get on output from CD player above 20KHz: One with max energy centered at about 167KHz. Other starting right above 20KHz. In both players the level is -70dBv. Add 20 for preamp gain and 20-30 more for power amp gain and output of Power Amp is around -20-30dBv.

View attachment 744436

View attachment 744438

First is filtered and second is unfiltered. In either case, significant in-band energy is present.

Now amps with wide, low distortion over a very wide BW, isnt harmed by such HF signals and the music sound isnt affected. CFA were first to be clean up in HF region but some VFA might be OK.... The ic opamp -797 is better than most in HF territory. And, it sounds better than others.... its above 20KHz distortion is lower.

The old criteria of wide open loop bandwidth and low distortion above 20KHz has long been touted as sounding better with CD's and even with mistracking LP's. This is why.

Only when you measure as a system and look at things outside the expected, will you will find your answer as to why some amps sound better than others. I have hinted at this for a long time. here is one such cause and why CFA or VFA which emulate the characteristics of wide low distortion BW always sound better.

Your welcome.

THx-RNMarsh

Well, the good news is that several of the top audio op-amps are very fast these days, in some cases much faster than AD797.

I'm not sure what player you tested but I'd expect the energy centered higher than 167 kHz for most new stuff, either way, I get your point.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Richard, I have never seen any studies looking at the effect ( if any) of HF harmonics folding down into the audio band - would be interesting.

How about two uncorrelated noise sources passed through a brick wall filter set to c. 22 kHz and then through an amplification chain as a test?

Also of interest is HF content on vinyl possibly.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I know of no others connecting the dots, as well.

This is worse issue than power line AF/HF/RF which also causes audible change in sound in many amps.

Awhile back D.Self did a test by injecting HF into PS and the THD DID increase on signal measured. This is like that and why some of the CD "sound" has been an elusive issue.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
... How many people are using amplifiers right now which has a thd curve shaped like this one: THD rising up at the high end but cut off at 20Khz? if measured to higher frequency we would see gross levels of THD...
How about one with THD that rises with power like this? :)

Attachments

• Rising THD vs Power.gif
    Rising THD vs Power.gif
    63.6 KB · Views: 208
Joined 2014
Paid Member
" the KEF LS50's sing fantastically.
Based on comments on this forum the LS50 is exceedingly polarising, which in itself is intriguing.

Sharing subjective anecdotal experiences? It's good for one's own indulgence and that's about the limit of its helpfulness. Such experience of yours sure doesn't help my or anyone else's side of computer screen because their settings aren't same as yours.
I read Jakobs comment completely differently from the way you did. language is a funny thing!

Awhile back D.Self did a test by injecting HF into PS and the THD DID increase on signal measured.
As HF harmonic distortion produces harmonics upper in the frequency range, which we are not supposed to can hear and that speakers will reject anyway because , usually, they do not produce any sound upper than 40KHz, don't you think it should be better to look at IM distortion in presence of HF components that can produce artifacts in the audible range ?

Sharing subjective anecdotal experiences? It's good for one's own indulgence and that's about the limit of its helpfulness. Such experience of yours sure doesn't help my or anyone else's side of computer screen because their settings aren't same as yours.

May i suggest that you read billshurv´s comment to the sentence that you´ve quoted?
Indeed it was about people listening (in person) to the same reproduction (same holds true for original sound events) at the same time and place.

Even in general your view isn´t correct; as i´ve already mentioned the difference between quantitative and qualitative research (and the merrits of these approaches), you might sometime try to get it. If you need some good literature just ask and i´ll cite some.

There was some old saying about horse, water and drinking .... :)

Joined 2016
Paid Member
When we measure a power amp or a CD player and say something isnt right about CD's or something isnt right about the amp sound and so we measure 20-20Khz and find the distortion is pretty low from both. So, obviously, you are imagining things because the THD is too low to hear.

While your later points about out band stuff are of interest, may be something there - and relatively easy to measure so that's good!, we need to lose the THD meme. No one is categorising stuff by simple THD measurements, it's just one of a suite which show many things... Also - who is actually using CDs as a source these days? No one I know...

About the Kef LS50, a remarquable article that will interest-you, I suppose:

KEF LS50 (David) Versus JBL 4722 Cinema (Goliath) Speaker Comparison with Binaural Recordings - Reviews - Audiophile Style

You will find some very interesting acoustic recordings of this comparison.

The guy is a sound engineer and know at evidence what he is talking about.

No surprise I (And I believe Richard and some others here as well ;-) agree with all his points. Especially the fact that horns can offer a better listening experience, because they excite less the room's resonances, thanks to their directivity.

You will have confirmation that good horns do not necessary provide a colored sound on voices (on the contrary), that they can be more dynamic with transients and can illuminate small details often lost with cones.

The result is amazing for the Kef and show how wonderful can be those tiny speakers for the size/price. A pure miracle that the two systems can sound so close despite their size and technology differences. You will have confirmation too that "blind" test can be lot more difficult when you don't know what source is playing because it is so hard to correlate our feelings on different musical moments .

KEF: Hats off !!!! (And Mitchco as well)

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Kii3 has directivity control down to 40Hz. Whilst not on the fly switchable like B&O it may do the directivity thing better than the horns.

I would also point you at the whole thread on here about discussing preferences in directivity and why some people migrate back to direct radiators from horns. Some very interesting discussions.

Surprised by the rare quality of this article about Kef LS50, I went to look for other writings of this author.
I found this article on the comparison between two digital formats (16/44 vs 24/192):

16/44 vs 24/192 Experiment - mitchco's Blog - Audiophile Style

The approach is, from my point of view, irreproachable as much on the method as on its technical aspect and its objectivity.
And the result will surprise more than one.

BTW: I noted this phrase that made me smile with pleasure: "TRUST YOUR EARS".
;-)

<snip>

BTW: I noted this phrase that made me smile with pleasure: "TRUST YOUR EARS".
;-)

The developer of the diffmaker tool is a member of this forum and he could explain it much better, but i remember that the alignement of two files is using huge amounts of memory (subsample shifting) and therefore will not work well on longer/larger files.

Wrt "ABX" we have already discussed the possible side effects in nearly every detail, so no need for repetition. (scottjoplin will be delighted :) )

@scottjoplin,

Were they sitting on each others laps? ;)

Nice one.. :)

Kii3 has directivity control down to 40Hz. Whilst not on the fly switchable like B&O it may do the directivity thing better than the horns.
On my point of view, the most important part is to get the same directivity between the two transducers at their crossover frequency. IE, the same emitting surface. I do not know any other easy solution to get this but horns.

What is to avoid is any brutal changes of characteristic at crossover frequencies.
That implies too to reduces the number of ways as much as possible, that is difficult to reach with cones too.
And to set the bass/treble crossover frequency as far in the bass from our earring max sensibility (2-4KHz) as possible. (600-700 seems to be optimal as it is the area where our human listening system changes its ways to analyse the directivity).

I am sure that, if some goes from horns to cones, it is because... they used poor horns+drivers. Not surprising as it is not easy to find good ones.

[edit]
It is pitiful that the consumer audio industry has made so much effort over the years to develop the cones and so few the drivers+horns, with the resulting economic and industrial consequences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.