John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of little details to observe depending on your hardware.

A fun test is to play a Dolby AC3 encoded wav through SPDIF out. Since wav is actually just a container format you can pretty much put whatever you want in it.

If your software chain is bit perfect, a decoder will light up. If not you'll get awful noise.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Another way to look at the signal related phase shift is the classic video differential phase measurement. It's not difficult to do today. Just measure the change in phase with DC offset from zero. Good video amps are in the .1 degree for that test at 3 MHz. I suspect that's also true for in band signals in decent audio amps. DSL modulation would be hopeless if there was any phase shift since the information is coded in phase relationships.

I see lots of arm waving stuff about "dispersion" in AD-DA links. Another phase issue?. Again I have seen no published measurements showing what this is about and I seem to get very good waveform fidelity in audio AD-DA systems.

However phase coherence as a prime goal is really problematic for speakers. Inverted tweeters to make crossovers work are intrinsically non-coherent. Many tweeters have their acoustic center move with frequency which would be another issue. And the change off axis would further mess with coherency. Ed Simon can probably shed light on the impact of distance and humidity on frequency and phase in air paths. I have read many moons ago that human hearing is not phase sensitive except perhaps phase shifts that create amplitude changes or phase changing on a steady state signal (but that creates sidebands so its really a modulated signal).

Joined 2002
Paid Member
His simulation showed that amplifiers with overall loop feedback worked almost perfectly with sine waves, but could have a problem with signals that didn't have long phase coherence times.
But, the model showed that the audio noise floor in the audio amplifier would modulate when the audio signal phase coherence didn't hold.

When I thought back on that, I realized that the overall block diagram of an audio amplifier using loop feedback is similar to that of an FM detection system or a phase noise detection system. There's a non-linear mixer at the input, and a time delayed version of the input signal is fed to another input port of this mixer. The output of the mixer is then a demodulated spectrum of the phase modulation of the input signal. The math is pretty straightforward.

That make any sense the way I explained it?

*If* you subscribe to this at all, that *might* be an explanation for noise floor modulation and why multi-tone tests don't show any results.

A musical signal isn’t coherent in any of it’s attributes on a 2-3 seconds time scale, else it wouldn’t represent music (some music genres excluded).
I am not capable to comment if phase modulation has any place in the workings of an audio amplifier (except those due to the phase change at the edges of frequency shaping filters) but the time derivative of the phase modulation is frequency modulation, so there maybe a way for the effects to become measurable. How these can be segregated from the HD and IMD products is another problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_modulation#/media/File:Phase-modulation.gif

George

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Wasn't the idea here that "phase in-coherence" would create modulated noise? Thats how I understood it - and if so, I think it is something to pursue because I think that music correlated distorsion and noise are real party poopers.

//

Another way to look at the signal related phase shift is the classic video differential phase measurement. It's not difficult to do today. Just measure the change in phase with DC offset from zero. Good video amps are in the .1 degree for that test at 3 MHz. I suspect that's also true for in band signals in decent audio amps. DSL modulation would be hopeless if there was any phase shift since the information is coded in phase relationships.

I see lots of arm waving stuff about "dispersion" in AD-DA links. Another phase issue?. Again I have seen no published measurements showing what this is about and I seem to get very good waveform fidelity in audio AD-DA systems.

However phase coherence as a prime goal is really problematic for speakers. Inverted tweeters to make crossovers work are intrinsically non-coherent. Many tweeters have their acoustic center move with frequency which would be another issue. And the change off axis would further mess with coherency. Ed Simon can probably shed light on the impact of distance and humidity on frequency and phase in air paths. I have read many moons ago that human hearing is not phase sensitive except perhaps phase shifts that create amplitude changes or phase changing on a steady state signal (but that creates sidebands so its really a modulated signal).

I agree for sure but foobar does have setting to assure bit perfect 24 bit data to the DAC if the user makes sure to use them (and their hardware supports it). So Foobar does have these internal controls. The ABX feature is just a plug-in and does no file processing
What setting is that? And how do you know if the user has used it - again, no controls & I never see anybody querying the setup used when a null result is reported from Foobar ABX?
and I find the comments that Foobar ABX itself is "doing" something to the files is silly.
Well if an internal soundcard is used & DS is resampling then it's not Foobar that doing 'something' to the files, is it?

That being said I personally think this particular test would survive resampling and 16bits, but I would never ask you to accept that.

Sure, why not - let's test for small impairments based on any system - no need to evaluate the system is capable - it's all good as long as a null result is returned - we'll only ask questions if a positive result is returned :eek:

This was directed at your comment from a technical perspective (and John's blind cheerleading of anything that is in opposition, no matter the merit, good or bad, of certain folks positions).

In short, it doesn't add up as something major (if at all), and would show up as grossly muddying transient events that are sitting close to the noise floor far beyond a stationary signal at the same level. Or show up as a sidelobe in a nulling/bridge experiment, where incoherence lights up as a imperfect cancellation. E.g gain up a signal, divide it back down and feed the gained and straight signal into two sides of a bridge. Does anything show up in burst tones that looks like a modulated noise effect?

Can you otherwise propose an experiment that would show this specific effect and be able to manipulate it to be greater and smaller with a modified differential pair?

I guess I'm wondering why, when I make experiments with events barely poking out of the noise floor, why I don't see the effect you're describing? If it's real, lesson learned and I'll need to be more careful about what parts I pick. If it's real and sits so far into the noise floor, cool effect I don't need to sweat, and if it not real, then that's fine as well. I'm just incredulous, it's my natural state of being. :)

I think you are misunderstanding the concept of what CG posted - noise floor modulation would not show up on an FFT as the noise floor itself is not specifically shown on an FFT (unless this is specifically being tested for) due to the way FFT works.

There are a lot of little details to observe depending on your hardware.

A fun test is to play a Dolby AC3 encoded wav through SPDIF out. Since wav is actually just a container format you can pretty much put whatever you want in it.

If your software chain is bit perfect, a decoder will light up. If not you'll get awful noise.

A similar fun test for bit perfection can be done with HD flag detection in suitable decoders

A musical signal isn’t coherent in any of it’s attributes on a 2-3 seconds time scale, else it wouldn’t represent music (some music genres excluded).
George

I can envisage two possible mechanisms for phase coherence drift being an audible issue:

- All sounds have a sound envelope which maps their various stage Attack, decay, sustain, release (ADSR) & this envelope spans a certain time. If this shape is disturbed from what it should be, because of the phase coherence changes in upper harmonics, it usually has an effect on timbre perception

- If phase coherence drift has a secondary effect in certain electronics that causes noise floor modulation then I can see an audible effect because auditory perception divides the sound into foreground & background (noise, room ambiance etc) - it generally doesn't pay much attention to the background, being more focused on the foreground sound - unless attention is drawn to this background - And this could be caused by the background noise changing, particularly if it is modulating with a pattern to it (signal correlated)

diyAudio member MaxHeadroom worked on that for a while in September-October 2016.

Help Needed Please - Copy/Paste Batch File
Yeah, how does one assure identical sounding files....my files sounding different experiment still holds with multiple witnesses since then.
Just this afternoon I showed two guys at work how my two short OTG USB cables cause USB headphones to sound different.
One of the guys is trialing my guitar cable tonight and should report back tomorrow including directional differences.

Dan.

<snip>
The fact that there are hundreds of null results doesn't indicate to me that this is correct,.......

It could be, if all were done on the same effectc, as rasing the sample size means rasing the power which means risk to commit a beta-error (i.e. failing to reject the null hypothesis although it is false) is seriously lowered.
In our case there are hundreds of tests of different EUTs (some of these might actually be undistinguishable while other might be not) are merged to state the "undistinguishability" of each and every effect, regardless of the specific conditions.
It should be imo obvious that a reasonable analysis couldn´t be done that way.

..... it simply signifies to me that the test focus is exclusively to eliminate false positives & as a result there's a high preponderance of false negatives - this was already clearly shown statistically by Levinthal.<snip>

The interesting point (or surprising at least for me) was that the ABX protocol does not lower the risk of false positives, as the guard against that is the SL (or alpha error; leaving aside for simplicity the philosphical differences between concepts for the moment) nor raises the efficiency - it´s still the same dichotomous results as in case of an A/B - but actually lowers the rate of _correct_ positives, if using for analysis the test statistic of accumulated correct trials and the exact binomial test.

I don´t think that it was intentionally done, and unfortunately missed the opportunity to ask Arny about the process/discussions that led to the usage of this specific protocal back in the 1970/1980s.

Leventhal´s analysis would still hold true in case of using A/B protocols, as it was just based on Cohen´s power analysis (and recommendations) so would only reflect the specific problems presented by the ABX protocol by in the assumptions about lowering the percentage of correct answers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I would advise to try HQPlayer.

You can do your Poo-ging :) with the various modulators and filters etc.

https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

It takes control of OS and shuts everything that doesn't need to be running.
It is pretty much the best quality audio you can get out of a computer ATM - the rest is hardware dependent.
It has far superior digital filters, modulators and OP's whatever format you desire.
DSD up to 1024 x and PCM up to 32 bit / 1.5MHz.

I know people who have achieved really high quality sound with a fairly cheap DAC, for example, by using HQP
and converting to DSD256, as such most of the DAC's filters etc are bypassed. There are many possibilities.

T

That looks like a lot of useful fun. Thank you ----

-Richard

Richard may want to do other things besides run a player. Maybe speaker cross-overs, and corrective EQ, for example. Does HQPlayer do all that too?

Yes Mark,

It has convolution algorithms for DRC / can also be used with other
programs (Acourate) to implement active crossovers.

It has > 20 digital filters, 4 dithers, 4 noise shapers, 8 modulators (for PCM
-> DSD)

I think it should qualify it as a good program for digital Pooging :D

T

Status
Not open for further replies.