John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
What controversy? When someone claims they have a speaker cable with no characteristic impedance it's not a matter for an objective vs subjective discussion. If someone prefers an amplifier with some second harmonic of a certain phase the objectivist simply says that an amplifier should not do that, the subjectivist does not care.
Scott, your "chess player" way of looking at things and your icy humor fascinates me. Your intimidating objectivity does not place you, in my imagination, in the clan of those whom I call "objectivists".
I'm just wondering, sometimes, if you can fold the little finger. ;-)

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Truth is that you need to start telling beautiful lies if you want to sell a damn thing to "audiophile" guys because they like to have the feeling that they are also doing the right "scientific" thing too.
Most often than not, i found that reasonably good engineers take this path of telling beautiful lies making use of their professional background as a guarantee while the best engineers often finish at working on ground breaking technologies that nobody is ready to appreciate, not even their bosses and their marketing department who always force them to cost down courses .

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Once upon a time, EE students used to look down on SES (Social and Economic Sciences) students. :)
They still do...most of the time they are right, sometimes they are wrong . The value of this behavior can be appreciated the most when hearing the Tokamak invention story. It was a simple technician who suggested in a paper that they could produce plasma using a toroid reactor, but there was a collective effort of many engineers to prototype and make the first one.Yet nobody listened to him for two years considering him just an idiot. Sometimes the best ideas come from people with no technical background as intuition needs also a lot of relaxation and dreaming.

Last edited:
Sometimes the best ideas come from people with no technical background as intuition needs also a lot of relaxation and dreaming.
[Mystical delirium ON]
It is not incensed to think that the universe is based on universal law(s). And since we are a tiny part of this universe, made up of some of its components, we can sometimes have intuitions that vibrate in harmony with it. It seems to me that all the great discoveries are part of this process.
[Mystical delirium OFF]

I have read that. Nothing new from that one. Not that I have read about it in another book, no.

And you still think people are fully rational? Well, you could try Jonathan Haidt's The Righteous Mind. Very different kind of a book, but another good introduction. With both Kahneman's book and Haidt's, it is important to read all the end notes (maybe the last third of the book). Then there are the books of Dan Ariely, Richard Thaler's Misbehaving, Robert Cialdini's books on persuasion (bibles of advertising), Phil Tetlock's Superforecasters, etc. Many journal article references in the bibliographies of some of the above, and many of those can be found for free on the internet. Most of the above books have educational value, while Ariely's books on human irrationality are primarily intended as light reading for entertainment. Eventually, with enough input from different experts you should start to grok a new understanding of human brains vs the model you currently seem to have in use. To put it more along the lines of engineering talk, your sim models aren't detailed enough for accurate results.

Last edited:
Max Headroom said:
so just what is a competent driving source ?
Sufficiently low and sufficiently linear output impedance, with adequate current drive capability. To a certain extent 'low' and 'linear' can be traded off against each other. This is basic audio design. Given this, it cannot matter what the cable dielectric is for a reasonably short audio interconnect.

I said "almost irrelevant" because someone will come up with a rather silly counterexample if I do not leave myself any wiggle room e.g. a cable using a solid high-k highly-nonlinear dielectric.

DF96 yours is just another text book generalisation making blanket statements that are not true in the real world of real world audio as it is practiced.
I accept that some people do not practice audio according to "textbook generalisations" such as Ohm's Law, Kirchoff's laws, Shannon, Nyquist, Fourier etc. Their customers suffer as a consequence but in most cases are blissfully unaware of this.

For example when I found out through personal experience that wire/cable can be directional I rudely discovered that 'theory' and 'assertion' do not always match the real world......I do not forget that lesson.
Sad that you have allowed poor experimental technique to cast doubt on sound theory. Let us be clear about this: a non-faulty short symmetric analogue audio interconnect cable cannot be directional. Personal experience can easily lead people astray, especially if they do not realise that the only way to get good results from experiments is first to understand the underlying theory. If you get an 'impossible' result then this means that you are not testing what you think you are testing, or that you have drawn incorrect conclusions from the numbers you see on a meter. So if you swap a short cable around and it seems to sound different then one or more of the following is true:
1. it isn't short
2. it is faulty (e.g. bad connectors)
3. it is asymmetric
4. the equipment is faulty
5. it doesn't actually sound different
6. something has changed in the environment (e.g. RF interference)

jneutron said:
What boggles me is...I cannot think of any reason why a "single wire--no return path" inductance calculator would exist.
Yes. It can be difficult to even define inductance for a non-closed path. About the best we can do is define the inductance of a 2-terminal component as being the increase in inductance when you include it in a loop.

Last edited:
Yes. It can be difficult to even define inductance for a non-closed path.

OTOH free space capacitance is a valid concept. Someone demonstrated a heart rate monitor that worked from 1m away using only the free space capacitance of a 2cm disk of metal on a small PC board.

Most developments are just about stabilizing an organic compound found in nature so that it last more time on the pharmacy's shelf...

Someone tried to enforce a patent on an anti-inflammatory ointment using turmeric and the Indian government (IIRC) took it to the World Court with the Rig Veda as prior art and got the patent invalidated.

Status
Not open for further replies.