Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

If vinyl can make a come-back
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2017, 01:30 PM   #1
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Default If vinyl can make a come-back

So can Ektachrome:

The Return of Kodak Ektachrome Film is Nigh

Note -- you can still get Provia and Velvia.

One of my sons figured that for him, it was less expensive to shoot film than purchase a new kilo-buck$ D-SLR.
Old 13th October 2017, 01:39 PM   #2
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Wasn't many years ago that a friend of mine bought a DLSR and reckoned the payback was under 2 years based on the amount of E6 film he got through. He was semi-pro though. ISTR is was about £6 a roll inc processing.
Old 13th October 2017, 05:33 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I never thought I'd say this, but I am going to stick with digital and eventually invest in a reasonably priced DSLR when I decide it is time to take up photography as a serious hobby again. (It's relatively imminent and I've been looking at cameras)

I liked Ektachrome a lot as a teen amateur photographer, so I hope there is a market for it.
Old 13th October 2017, 06:32 PM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Where's my Agfachrome?
Old 13th October 2017, 06:34 PM   #5
simonra is offline simonra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I did my degree in photography, all analogue - 35mm, medium and large format. The biggest difference for me between digital and analogue photography is the feedback time - you can look at the pictures while you still remember the decisions you made about depth of field, composition etc and learn from your mistakes. If you can take 100 shots, look at them within 10 minutes and take 100 more you're going to learn quicker and take better photos.
That said, I prefer a decent print from a 5x4 plate over digital any time.
Old 13th October 2017, 06:51 PM   #6
Gyuri is offline Gyuri  Hungary
diyAudio Member

For me, the biggest difference between analog and digital is the quality, mainly in compositions.
When I have had analogue cameras with expensive dia films, I thought much more before shoot an image. Then there wasn't any zoom objectives, as nowadays, yet I think I made better images, than now. Now you can shoot images without consequences. Sh1t. You shoot and shoot, the result is depressing.
I must have to say, if I made a good picture, it's just a coincidence.
Old 13th October 2017, 07:00 PM   #7
Gyuri is offline Gyuri  Hungary
diyAudio Member

But I like these pictures:
https://h48meq.dm2302.livefilestore....001.JPG?psid=1
https://8oxu4g.dm1.livefilestore.com...001.JPG?psid=1

Last edited by Gyuri; 13th October 2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 13th October 2017, 07:05 PM   #8
KatieandDad is offline KatieandDad  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

DSLRs second hand are so affordable. Personally I've got a second hand Nicon D5300 which is brilliant. At 24MP the image quality will blow up to A1 with no pixelling.

The ability to shoot and review instantly will win the war eventually, leaving only the minority of die hards paying over the odds for film cameras.

Last edited by KatieandDad; 13th October 2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 13th October 2017, 07:12 PM   #9
Conrad Hoffman is offline Conrad Hoffman  United States
diyAudio Member

IMO, there are almost no remaining reasons to shoot film, other than the enjoyment of the process. I used to process Ektachrome as a teen, but even then it made no sense from a time and money standpoint.
Old 13th October 2017, 07:38 PM   #10
leadbelly is offline leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Good thread. I have had 3 SLR/DSLR's: all Nikons. I waited too long to go to digital, I was saving up for the middle grade $1K+ Nikon DSLR because they can use my older generations of lenses. I remember that when I was buying my D300, another customer was buying an FM2! Batteries, who needs stinking batteries in 2009 . In any case, I wish I had gone digital earlier, because now all my engagement and wedding pictures are on film, and a hassle to get to. I don't know about the "never take a bad picture" comment, a D300 doesn't make a good picture trivial, but of course nowhere near the effort for film.

If vinyl can make a come-backHide this!Advertise here!