quality of new threads going downhill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this quote from Nelson Pass, it sums up so much

"Audiophiles seem to revel in minor controversies - vinyl vs CDs, tubes versus solid state, capacitor, wires, magic dots... and negative feedback.
At one extreme, the position is that "feedback makes amplifiers perfect". At the other extreme, "feedback is a menacing succubus that sucks the life out of the music, leaving a dried husk devoid of soul".
The former viewpoint usually belongs to so-called 'objectivists' who have a fine appreciation for electronic theory and measurements. Their opposites would be the 'subjectivists' who emphasize the listening experience and often own tube amplifiers. Accusations are occasionally made that objectivists can't hear, and conversely that subjectivists hear things that aren't there. This being the entertainment industry, I hope everyone is having a good time."

While I certainly agree that a lot of redundancy exists, I think there's a point you've hit where you been around a topic long enough remember the salient portions of a prior discussion. People coming in don't have that database built. Nor know the right search terms to get the info they're looking for.

So on one side, yes, I agree a lot of old ground is unnecessarily tread upon where it's clear the thread starter has done zero legwork, but on the other, a lot of the good stuff on diyaudio has a pretty steep learning curve.

What I am trying to achieve in this thread is to get a feedback, if I am the only one who believes that many new threads from some new members are of very low quality and should not be started. Little homework for thread starter with search function would be better way to go.

;)
Could you do something for the broken links (image and documents) ?
Some old topic are useless without them.

I love this quote from Nelson Pass, it sums up so much

"Audiophiles seem to revel in minor controversies - vinyl vs CDs, tubes versus solid state, capacitor, wires, magic dots... and negative feedback.
At one extreme, the position is that "feedback makes amplifiers perfect". At the other extreme, "feedback is a menacing succubus that sucks the life out of the music, leaving a dried husk devoid of soul".
The former viewpoint usually belongs to so-called 'objectivists' who have a fine appreciation for electronic theory and measurements. Their opposites would be the 'subjectivists' who emphasize the listening experience and often own tube amplifiers. Accusations are occasionally made that objectivists can't hear, and conversely that subjectivists hear things that aren't there. This being the entertainment industry, I hope everyone is having a good time."

I've never seen that in its entirety before. What a wonderful summation.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
We have a lot more problems in the world now than we did so in the past. That I believe is to blame for the quality of new threads. That and there is far less room for innovation and new ideas when everything has been done before.

As for the SE vs NF debate. My response is rather philosophical rather than observational. I can only say that SE is in practice kind of like adding sugar to an apple pie recipe that previously had sugar off the recipe list, it improves it considerably and it tastes great because the sugar is now on the list of ingredients. NF is the apple pie without the sugar.

The point is, nobody here today would ever eat an apple pie without sugar, not unless you have some seriously sweet apples in that apple pie you're making.

So the realization that most people would consider that an apple pie is inedible without sugar should make you pause to think what it really means to be human, we're here to enjoy things, not to "assimilate nutrients" like a Borg or Vulcan.

If you seriously enjoy listening to music with NF turned on then you are missing the point of listening to music at all. It's there to be enjoyed and to give you an endorphin hit or euphoric response, or a rush of testosterone or adrenalin. Music doesn't exist to merely fire neurons in a logical manner we are not computers made from silicon chips, music is not a C64 program recorded onto a cassette tape. music without also evoking an emotional response is not music.

A kid laughs because he is being entertained, I've never seen a kid laughing in class while studying arithmetic, same deal with an adult and his music, you're listening to it because it makes you feel good. Unless you're autistic in which case all bets are off.

So enjoy the pie, leave the amp stuck in SE mode. :sly:

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
...and there is far less room for innovation and new ideas when everything has been done before.

Really? In this age of readily available DSP chips and free development software and easy-to-use compilers, low lost PCB services, CNC services, and 3D printers and everyone toting a cell phone that can be used to control audio systems? And with accurate modeling tools for horns and other boxes? And with new frontiers in line array technologies (such as the CBT) and mesh router modules for low-cost wireless speakers? And when you can buy 6-channel amp boards on eBay for $25, or DSP modules and WiFi modules for less than $50. I view this time we are in as exciting for an audio DIY'er, with more possibilities than ever before for innovation and new ideas.

The reason I don't post much here anymore is that to me, diyAudio seems to have "gotten old" and a bit too set in its ways. The forums are organized according to a structure that made sense 10 or 20 years ago, but doesn't provide categories for discussing the newer technologies such as CBT's, active systems, WiFi speakers, or speaker control software. I initiated a discussion on additional forums that would help idea-sharing in these new technologies, and that was over 3 years ago, and nothing was done.

But more importantly, there isn't a forum where it makes sense to describe system-level issues. More and more, we are moving toward audio systems that are active, with embedded DSP for crossovers and equalization, wireless audio sources, and with "supervisory software" and adaptive filters to monitor cone excursion and thermals--and with control from a cellphone application. The modern audio approaches span quite a few of the diyAudio forums, and it reminds you of the parable of the blind man and the elephant when you try to describe these complicated systems using the narrow perspectives of the existing diyAudio forums.

So, in my opinion, the real problem about declining quality is that diyAudio needs an infusion of new ideas and needs to find ways to bring in fresh approaches from a new generation of DIY'ers. It needs some new forums that are relevant to modern audio technologies, and it needs to figure out a way to adapt to the rapid technology pace and to provide better ways to address audio system-level design.

Maybe it's a sign that diyAudio has become stale with declining quality when old guys hang out in the Lounge posting pictures of hot women. *sigh*

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Maybe it's a sign that diyAudio has become stale with declining quality when old guys hang out in the Lounge posting pictures of hot women. *sigh*

While your post has plenty of very interesting valid tips that the forum could adopt. You are wrong on this one, because I suspect that I spearheaded that thread's creation and I'm only 34 years old. After I made a post replying to a commenter that "What I'm not allowed to be enamored by the beauty of a girl?" and I suspect that the thread's creation, shortly after that, was inspired by my actions to use a picture of Grimes as my avatar.

So what you should've really said was that, there are men here, yes, and they are bored. But you've decided to take the rather interesting step of insulting them and in essence have shot yourself in the foot. But the most important thing is that they are bored. If anything the new thread about beautiful women is a welcome sign of change for the better from the stale and sterile form that the Lounge had beforehand.

Just like how various other threads that I've created, and others have, which have changed the tone of the Lounge subforum in the last 12 months. Like say the car thread. Who would've thought that a car thread would exist in the Lounge.

Those new threads which have been created are kind of like a pressure relief valve for the angsts of people on the forum, so that they don't lash out at other users of the forum.

Anyway. change on a biblical scale such as this is always best done slowly, so as to not alert the immune system of the body we are trying to infect with new ideas.

If the mods won't listen then maybe make a "the wifi speaker thread" or the "CBT thread". If the thread isn't rule breaking then why would it be pulled?

This forum appears to operate kind of like a restaurant with a tips jar too. Leave a donation and the toilets get cleaned better, etc. The way it works is pretty Australian actually now that I think about it, in Australia you don't go into someones house and **** on their recipe for pumpkin soup, instead you leave a couple of beers with a note. Basically in Australia your word doesn't mean spit unless you are holding a slab or 6 pack. In the USA someone's word means a lot and you don't need to be holding anything.

Anyway, good luck in your adventures!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.