quality of new threads going downhill

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
{snip}... Too often members start a new thread on a subject discussed multiple times before ...... Moderation should be aware of this .....

They are. (So is this software.) Try to start a new thread. After you type a Title, the software offers some apparently related threads which may be a better place to post. See Attached.

Yes, it is imperfect. I actually had to try different wording to get offered "this" thread; 'quality of new thread' did not hit on this thread. When it did hit, 3 of 4 suggestions are off-topic. And of course when offered possibly related threads, what does the truly lazy (or not very PC-savvy) user do?

Attachments

• NewThread.gif
    NewThread.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 259
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It happens every day. It's also up to the forum members to point these things out to someone opening a thread like this. And they often do.

Close too many redundant threads and there is a lot of griping about that. It's a balance between new posting and rehashing the same subjects. Threads do get combined. It's the endless cable threads that are the real nuisance.

It's the same old story:
The guy asks, and YES already in post #3 of that thread he is making the next step: what do you suggest?
That's what pollute forums; it's best to delete these threads in the first place, and IMO that's not up to other members (apart from the fact that they don't have the tools to do so) but the responsibility of moderation.

We will be able to tag in the new software which should (we hope) allow you a much more custom view.

AWESOME! This is the best news I have read all day.

I mentioned the "StackExchange" site as an example of how tags can really help and I wondered if this was ever considered.

For example, I like to build multiway active loudspeakers. These involve:
Multiway speakers
amplifiers (possibly both class D and AB in the same project)
PC based crossovers under Linux

Also, the speaker itself could be a multiway monitor plus a subwoofer.

So if I wanted to post about my project, which forum do I currently post it in??? With a tag based forum, I can assign all the appropriate tags and it then the thread can be found by people searching under any of those tags. I think that works much better than the current setup for multi-faceted propjects that can't cleanly fit into one forum.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the few members who uses the forum as an instant messaging app?

Let's look at this example:
rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool

Six consecutive more or less one-liner posts within 30 minutes (which, if I recall it correct, is the time span members are allowed editing their posts), and in the 6th last post the member is frowning upon having to read through the whole thread which now stands at over 2200 posts, but doesn't realize is part of the problem cluttering up the thread. :D

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Any thoughts on the few members who uses the forum as an instant messaging app?

Let's look at this example:
rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool

Six consecutive more or less one-liner posts within 30 minutes (which, if I recall it correct, is the time span members are allowed editing their posts), and in the 6th last post the member is frowning upon having to read through the whole thread which now stands at over 2200 posts, but doesn't realize is part of the problem cluttering up the thread. :D
If they cracked down on this they might as well close down the entire Pass subforum. Every big thread reads exactly like you're describing.

If they cracked down on this they might as well close down the entire Pass subforum. Every big thread reads exactly like you're describing.

I would give a lot of slack to those that give their time and knowledge to DIY providing designs and tools for free. It is true some of their threads have long periods of being like a private Q&A session.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I agree. The Pass forum is the best place on this forum in my opinion. Smart, helpful, generous, funny people there. It all starts from Mr. Pass's great attitude. I was just pointing out that what the poster was describing is all over the Pass subforum so that rule would be hard to enforce without infringing on some of the good things here.

Status
Not open for further replies.