What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note that my post on neutrino induced neutron decay was based on the off-piste Energy Wave Theory (EWT) which describes the neutrino as a 'wave centre' and a 'fundamental particle'.

Perhaps we need to be more 'Science Woke'! ;)

Energy Wave Theory – Science Woke

Attachments

• Wave centres combining.png
    Wave centres combining.png
    109.5 KB · Views: 319
Preons have an illustrious history in Physics. Things smaller and more fundamental than electrons and neutrinos.

IIRC, a young String Man, Lenny Susskind got respect from Quark Man, Murray Gell-Mann for his efforts.

Me, I'm more the system engineer. I care little for fine detail but want to know if the overall Maths adds up for Positronium before moving on to more complicated stuff like The Neutron.

t = 2 hbar / mc^2 a^5 = 0.1244ns

Is this Positronium lifetime reasonable, or full of schoolboy mistakes? :confused:

Turns out it's OK. :)

hbar = 6.582119 x 10^ -16 eV-s
mc^2 for an electron is 0.510998 MeV
a^ -5 is 4.826172 x 10^10.

I got 0.1243 ns. Not bad for back of a beermat stuff.

Onto the Neutron: Quanta Magazine

I'm still looking at it.

These two comedians Fornal and Grimstein predict a Dark Matter particle around 937.9 to 938.8 MeV. Detectable by a Gamma Ray. Turns out that is near exactly the energy of the proton at 938.3 MeV.

It hasn't turned up. Back to the drawing Board.

Last edited:
Preons have an illustrious history in Physics.
We can't just leave those illustrious preons hanging in thin air! :cheerful:

According to the Singular Primordial Preon (SPP) theory, all Standard Model particles are composed of preons and antipreons.

The preon content may be either six preons, six antipreons, or any mix of the two - as shown in the attachment.

SPP theory explains the process of electron/positron annihilation as the mere exchange of preons!

The Singular Primordial Preon Theory: The Singular Primordial Preon Theory

Attachments

• Particle Structure.png
    Particle Structure.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 347
That was a surprise:

865599d1596483038-universe-expanding-particle-structure-png

I can't see much wrong with it as a theory. It did remind me of some good ideas I have seen elsewhere too. Carl Brannen has done some elegant maths with the Koide formula that places the Electron, Muon and Taon at 120 degrees twist relative to each other. With a basic twist of 2/9 radians to the whole thing.

The same idea is used in Quark theory in the Cabbibbo Mixing angle.

One to reread and sleep on I think. But does it generate exact numbers? That's always the test.

Or, could all known elementary particles simply be standing waves of space?

Quantum Wave Theory suggests that space is made up of tiny, flexible 'balloons' called space quanta. When compressed a space quantum contains a fundamental unit of energy.

Energy transfers from one quantum to the next by a chain of compressions and rebounds, forming travelling waves of space which travel at the speed of light.

When two travelling waves of the same frequency meet they form a standing wave pattern. This stationary pattern is what represents mass i.e. a particle.

Far fetched? Well, it's only theory! Quantum Wave Theory | A Model of Unity in Nature

Attachments

• mass is a standing wave.png
    mass is a standing wave.png
    233.9 KB · Views: 115
Oh please one baffling theory at a time... :rolleyes:

I read the Preon article along with some other Preon theories. Preon theories use up to 6 preons in a lump, but usually only two types. Often quite massive. And you don't go far wrong in Physics by working with symettries like 6 or 8.

Most of them were an attempt to avoid the need for a Higgs Boson. But I think the Higgs is established now.

It's all a bit of a hotch-potch of existing wild and wacky theories. Neutrino induced Neutron decay (Reverse Beta Decay?) may happen, and would be accelerated by the local Solar neutrinos.

I've just filed it away in my head for future reference if I see a similar notion crop up. Certainly the idea of particles having different spin axes causing flavour oscillations in neutrinos is an interesting one. But the maths is horribly abstract.

Having slept on it, I've decided this is "schoolboy" Physics:

865599d1596483038-universe-expanding-particle-structure-png

The relative masses make no sense, the photon and the neutrino are hardly the same thing, and no mention of gluons. Only vaguely works because of the 6-fold symmetry.

Further investigations into symmetry needed:

Physics from Symmetry | SpringerLink

Aw, not a Springer freebie any more. But a goodish read:

Hermann Minkowski ca. 1908 said:
Henceforth space by itself, and time by itself, are doomed to fade away
into mere shadows, and only a kind of union of the two will preserve
an independent reality.

Thing is you must first start with Special Relativity, because all good Physics obeys it.

You know, the Einstein Space-Time Metric of measurement.

ds^2 = (cdt^2) - (dx^2) - (dy^2) - (dz^2)

I'll leave Quantum Theory for the moment.

Comes back to my all too vague understanding of Spin in Physics. This is a surprising thing that is allowed without ripping 4D Space-Time apart.

I really ought to build this contraption to understand it better. You'd think the elastic strings would get terribly tangled up, but apparently they don't. :confused:

Attachments

• Electron Spin.PNG
    Electron Spin.PNG
    91.6 KB · Views: 165
I have been busy uncovering the Secrets of the Universe as usual... :D

Physics from Symmetry | SpringerLink

Apparently, and I don't quite understand this just yet, the Lagrangian, central to Physics, only works with first and second order coefficients. Third order leads to negative energy states, which are Physically unrealistic.

So 3rd order Butterworth and 4th order Linkwitz-Riley audio filters are a lost cause. Oh well. Back to the drawing board. :eek:

Having currently abandoned all notions of filters beyond second-order during the heatwave, I am probably reduced to a Euclidian notion of flat space.

Interestingly I have located one of Euclid's original books. All Greek to me, TBH. :D

Attachments

• euclid_oxyrhynchus.jpg
    euclid_oxyrhynchus.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 64
Galu, as Londoner, I can tell you that American Dick Van Dyck didn't fool me for one minute as the cheeky cockney chappie. My dear old Ma was born within 50 yards of St. Mary Le Bow. But some interesting Physics concealed in his breakfast cooking.

Of course, we were all absolutely smitten with Julie Andrews. We always called her Mummy too:

"Do-Re-Mi" - THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965) - YouTube

Do, Rey, Mi indeed. :D

Steve, I must show you this photo of Julie Andrews, here pictured with a little snub nosed Jenny Agguter.

I fell into the trap of watching Jenny again in the 'Railway Children' last week - if she hadn't waved her red petticoat, the train would have run straight into the landslip.

Attachments

• Julie & Jenny.jpg
    Julie & Jenny.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Red Petticoat.jpg
    Red Petticoat.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 125
Just my own opinion, but I think Princess Anne modelled herself after Jenny Aguttar:

attachment.php

Don't know how she manages to follow Scottish Rugby with such evident fascination. But credit to Her. Blow hot or cold, but not lukewarm. :D

I have just discovered that Julie was not in Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang! Surely a small cameo was required? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.