What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• Symphony.jpg
    Symphony.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 115
TBH, me old mate, I don't warm to Charles Ives at all.

I sincerely hate anything arrhythmic. Much prefer Lyrical.

My favourite Western is The Man who Shot Liberty Valence. The Western versus the Eastern.

I am told that John Wayne's greatest Movie effort was The Searchers.

A Horrible Movie, IMO. Didn't enjoy a moment of it. :eek:

I can discuss the Northern versus the Southern too. The 4 great topics of Literature. :cool:

Galu, you and me are terrible people for going off-topic with Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne, Loved John Wayne in that tough guy Iwo Jima Japan WW2 movie. Jimmy Stewart had a more sensitive side.

All I can tell you is I grew up with these Charictures. (Hope I spelt that right.)

AFAIK, James Stewart and Henry Fonda were lifelong buddies. Two great actors.

'Hank & Jim': It was a wonderful friendship between Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A great story. If I have to give a single moment to "The Searchers" it is that Vera Miles never looked lovelier. :)

Last edited:
OMG, I have just received a text from my friendly Landlord. Who, TBH, is mostly interested in most of us paying the rent. And what is wrong with that ?

Apparently an unspecified situation has arised, which immediately signals to me ( because I am alert...) that someone in our Portsmouth House is now infected with the dreaded Covid-19 virus. :eek:

TBH, I am not worrying about it too much myself. I have kept my weight down at 11.5 stones. No diabetes, no worrying Heart conditions. Lung Function no worse than most of you.

But this could be Farewell from system7. As If !

See ya later. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, if you're healthy and reasonably fit it should not be a problem for you. Just take care, consider who you know that may have any conditions and things like asthma, and do your best not to spread it to them in case you're a carrier without knowing.
People are not very good at cleaning doorknobs or guardrails... Just sayin'.

At any rate, better stop and write about something else so we don't break any rules here...

Uhmmmmmm.
What about expanding your mind?
Just about the only actually useful point here would be #3
Identify your biases.
Biases can cause us to think that certain things are always true, even when they’re not. If you know your biases, then you can work to overcome them. Pay attention to your thoughts, feelings and actions. Ask yourself why you think that way, and challenge your assumptions.
For example, our biases may cause us to take more responsibility for our successes than our failures. For example, we may blame a teacher when we fail a paper but praise ourselves when we get an A.
- A confirmation bias is one where you only consider information that supports your preconceptions. For example, you might ignore facts that don't support your political ideology.
- Sometimes, we judge a decision based on its outcome rather than the soundness of the decision. Just because you win a lottery doesn't mean that buying a lottery ticket was a smart decision.
- People tend to think themselves as less biased than other people. It means that by default we remain blind to our own cognitive biases.
4 Ways to Expand Your Mind - wikiHow

For sure we ought to get back to Physics here.

842736d1589123914-universe-expanding-black-hole-alain-jpg

I actually did the math on the Einstein Ring.

Long time ago, TBH. But fascinating. IIRC. Long after the Black Hole has become shrunken and invisible due to the inverse Square Law as you retreat from it, the Einstein Ring remains large. Because the Einstein Ring is simply inverse distance. Not inverse square.

I am currently trying to visualise what happens close to the Black Hole event horizon. What does it look like out of the spaceship window? How distorted does the Universe look when you get close to these monsters?

Any help? :eek:

Last edited:
OK, Steve. Here's some serious possible scenarios.

The first refers to the event horizon and the second to the accretion disc.

• Close to the black hole, gravitational distortions enlarge the appearance of the event horizon. Get close enough to the black hole and the event horizon swells to cover almost half of the sky.

• The black hole’s extreme gravity skews light emitted by different regions of the accretion disk, producing a misshapen appearance as visualised in the attachment.

Attachments

• warped accretion disc.JPG
    warped accretion disc.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 116
I watched the Passengers movie a few weeks ago, mainly because of the casting of Jennifer Lawrence! :hbeat:

Some starship indeed!

Don't you agree that the (robot) bartender was lifted straight out of The Shining?

Attachments

• Passengers.jpg
    Passengers.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 268
  • Bartenders.jpg
    Bartenders.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 37
Michael Sheen is just so good an actor. Prefer him to old Jack Nicholson every day of the week. Jack had a lot of Ham, IMO. But was superb in Easy Rider.

What I liked about the Star-Ship Avalon was it's undoubted TWIST as it went through in linear Space. Spin is an essential part of the Universe.

Of course, the Human drama was exciting enough:

attachment.php

I didn't actually find anything I totally disagreed with in terms of Einstein's Relativity either.

Took Avalon about 30 years to loop round the Orange giant Arcturus with whatever nonsense its unspecified rockets had. This being a currently used fuel-saving device.

Any Space-ship company would try and save a few Bucks with a cunning money-saving scheme. But better than Star Trek IMO.

There is undoubtedly a lot of dangerous stuff lurking in Space. Avalon's misfortune to hit it.

Last edited:
Every time I try to watch Joe's video, I get an error message.

Probably the fault of my struggling laptop, so I'll try again later.

I did manage to enjoy the joke in the comments section though. :D

Heisenberg & Schrodinger got pulled over for speeding.
The cop asked Heisenberg ... "Do you know how fast you were going"?
Heisenberg replied.. "No, but I know where I am."
The cop said "You were going at 70 mph"
Heisenberg said "Great...Now we're lost."
The cop asked Schrodinger.. "What's in the trunk?"
Schrodinger said.. "A cat"
The cop opened the trunk & said.. "This cat's dead."
Schrodinger said .. "Ya, he is now."

I have probably been round the old Physics block more times than most people. :D

There was an old joke scrawled on the toilet wall in Bedford College's Herringham Hall Physics basement which went something like "Heisenberg probably rules, OK".

Don't get me onto "Schrodinger's Dead Cat". Never understood it at all. :confused:

Anyway, hugely fascinating Physics article I discovered today:

How Dyson Saw Feynman

Apparently Dick Feynman discovered Black Hole evaporation about a Year before Stephen Hawking. But Dick worked it out in about 2 hours late at night in Freeman's office on the blackboard.

Freeman woke up the next day and decided he'd probably seen some good Physics. Alas, when he turned up to his office the next morning, the blackboard was blank. His cleaner had done her job and wiped it. Amazing. We'll never be totally sure.

Never mind Tomonaga, Schwinger and Feynman's well deserved Nobel prize. Dyson just happened to be in the right place at the right time. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.