Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of science about people are really not fully integrally understood. We hear about different studies which may or may not become valuable, and we each believe in what we choose to believe, even the meaning and value of different research, a choice of which is not much different from listening perception.[emoji6]

Anyway end of rant TL:DR. These experiments are fundamentally flawed.

I'm confused about what you are trying to say. Does the fact that professional musicians perform "poorly" in these tests make them flawed? Does the possibility that the the concert master from a top symphony orchestra might be indifferent between a $3M Strad or a very good modern instrument undermine any belief system?

Re: Vonmule: So he seems to be saying that musicians and listeners cannot distinguish "grand" instruments by sound, the value of the "grand" instruments is not related to their sound, and they've all been hacked anyway. But the experiments that confirm his beliefs are crap. Is that about right?
That's your take on it. It's not up to me endorse or dismiss your viewpoint.

which seems to reinforce the position you have been arguing against.
It doesn't matter whether the source of a sound is internal or external, from your ears or from your eyes, real or unreal: if you hear it you hear it
At no stage have I denied that influences other than what our ears detect can affect what we hear. This is a straw man construct from another poster. In the quote above I clearly acknowledge that many other factors, real and imaginary can influence the outcome.

in the gorilla on the basketball court video analogy I freely admitted that the act of counting ball bounces had distracted my attention to the extent that I failed to see a huge gorilla walk through mid frame. What I saw had clearly been influenced by an internal mental process. However, it was still MY reality at the time, no matter how flawed.

Last edited:
I would be interested in reading posters' opinions on the views expressed by the author of the reddit post.

OK: the author raises some very good points. He is correct that hearing memory is very poor. He is correct that most professional musicians are no better than "Joe Average" at hearing and remembering differences between instruments. I would extend that to luthiers. In fact I think he is right about most things. Unfortunately he did not explain why he thinks experiments which confirm his beliefs are crap.

OK: the author raises some very good points. He is correct that hearing memory is very poor. He is correct that most professional musicians are no better than "Joe Average" at hearing and remembering differences between instruments. I would extend that to luthiers. In fact I think he is right about most things. Unfortunately he did not explain why he thinks experiments which confirm his beliefs are crap.

Thank you :) I wonder whether his comments would extend equally to those fortunates with perfect pitch?

Last edited:
I think he's implying that our audio memory is so poor that the time taken between recitals was sufficient to invalidate any results.

I'm a bit confused about audio memory.
For home theatre, I'm using some old dc Tannoy studio monitors, which to my ears, sound more realistic than others in my price range.
Yet I am never fooled into thinking the voices are "real", as has happened occasionally with horn or planar experiments in my living room.
In light of a short audio memory, what am I comparing the vocal reproduction to, to instantly know I'm hearing a reproduction, and not the real thing?

This is where these discussions often go: Either I cannot distinguish any sounds, or if I can distinguish some sounds then I can distinguish all sounds.

I would say that vis a vis your example of human voices, your referent is "the sound of spoken human voices in this room". Even a very well recorded voice, recorded in a different acoustic space, and reproduced via monkey-coffin speakers, is not going to sound like a person speaking in that room. A dipole or omni speaker might get closer, because they are better at letting the room be part of the sound.

In this case sighted is perfectly fine, the control is I do not give any hints except to say that sound will change.

So not even single blind.

The result/correlation is that all subjects describe the changes in the same words.

Meaningless in this context since not even single blind.

When the tweak also positively changes the physical feel of music, there is no future argument.

I don't even know what to make of that statement. Can you describe more clearly what that even means?

The descriptions correlations are 100%.
The system changes here are aparrent enough that passing DBLT's is not an issue.

Dan.

That seems to mean that you don't want to do any testing. That's fine, but then you have to realize that your results are meaningless to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.