What are you drinking?

Attachments

• IMG_20181228_173826.jpg
    IMG_20181228_173826.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Actually, the internet tells me that “ any foodstuff that contains sugar or starch” including grains such as sorghum, corn, rice, rye, rye - either alone or in blends thereof (Sheringham) - or even hemp (Victoria Distillers) that can be fermented to produce the raw ethanol stock (approx 16% before distillation) will work. The key is that the ethanol be of agricultural origin.

What Is Vodka Made From? | Alcohol Fermentation

FWIW, having recently visited both the Victoria and Sheringham Distillers for tours and tastings twice now, I’m quite familiar with several of their products enunciated above, but also note that both Peter Hunt and Jason MacIsaac would attest that the purity of the water used to reduce the final distillate from 96% ABV to the normal 40% plays more than just a minor part.

Tried the Mead yesterday, it was fermented to around 14%, spiced with really good quality apple juice and aniseed.
It's been outside for a while, and after some ice removal it's ca 18%.
Tastes and smells fresh like spring. flowers and bees, makes vivid images in my head of an apple tree filled with blossoms.

Much better than what they have at Vinmonopolet (government controlled liquor store), which is way too sweet and will most certainly get you hung over.

The Vikings used honey to make Mead not to make it sweet, but to get a strong brew and also for variation. The monks misunderstood the concept when Christianity took over this country, and many of the "modernized" (after ca 980-1050AD) recipes are heavily influenced by dark beer and spiritus production techniques. Calling for reductions, or double amount of honey, to heighten sugar contents, and heavy spice flavors to lessen the impact of the overly sweet brew.

Mead in it's simplest form is honey, diluted in water and fermented.