John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you can achieve it easily because it IS a mediocre speakers.

Expensive speakers are multi-way that try to cover the full bandwith. To do this you have to introduce the crossover, which is the source of many problems. To get certain sonic quality people introduce exotic cone material, another source of problem.

"Realness" can be easily had with speaker without complex crossover, but the tonal accuracy suffer. Trade-off again. Taste.

Some high end speaker companies choose extra-ordinary good driver and throw in minimal crossover components.
I would agree with that ... I think everyone has a different take on what "tonal accuracy" entails, but for me it means that the essence of the recording is faithfully conveyed - it "sounds the same". That's one of my metrics - when I went to the audio show there were renditions of music I knew very well, which were quite bizarre - I could have been listening to it from a jukebox, or a cheap car radio - the sound I heard had little bearing on what I knew was in the recording ...

One system there, using very expensive kit, that performed well was able to render a key quality of a test CD of mine - a piano captured in a very, very distant acoustic, with loads of echo, came through precisely right; this clip, on another system, not at the show, made no sense at all - it wasn't able to reproduce the low level ambient clues well enough, and it was a bit of a confused blur, to the ears.

Now, what am I getting at? OK, analog tape inherently has a lot of harmonic (and IM) distortion. YET, hear 'Kind of Blue' with Miles Davis, or '(Harry) Belafonte at Carnegie Hall' and you get 'magic' and it is certainly not the distortion that makes it.
Two factors that apparently these, and many other early recordings got right, is that they used vacuum tube based recorders, (even 35mm film recorders) and the electronics did not clip severely or have crossover distortion at lower levels.
When we changed over to solid state, we introduced these distortions and the quality of analog recording degraded, even though the tape itself got better and better. The ear can separate the higher order harmonics from the 3'rd present, relatively easily, and this parallels loudspeaker distortion and its significantly greater magnitude over the electronics driving it. IF the electronics has higher order distortion, then it will separate from the loudspeaker's distortion contribution and that is one reason why xover and other higher order distortion generating mechanisms are detectable.

:worship: :worship:

You see, it works just as well in the other direction - something is changed, and the system now sounds less musical - we're talking about a spontaneous reaction, an immediate "Hey!!" goes off in your head, you have no time to think about it, no-one has told you what to expect - it's an instinctive reaction ... one can learn a lot by tuning into this instant take, "hearing" what it's saying - and, then switch on your rational mind and see if you can analyse the sound, to see which aspect of it has caused that reaction.

Another exercise that's worth trying: go and find some live, acoustic music, get up nice and close, and "pretend" to yourself that you're listening to an ambitious audio system - and analyse what's "wrong" with that sound - where is it not "good enough"? That might tell you how your thinking shapes how you listen to audio systems, to some degree ...

Another exercise that's worth trying: go and find some live, acoustic music, get up nice and close, and "pretend" to yourself that you're listening to an ambitious audio system - and analyse what's "wrong" with that sound - where is it not "good enough"? That might tell you how your thinking shapes how you listen to audio systems, to some degree ...

99 times out of 100 it's too loud.

I can see how that would be for many people, for certain instruments - the trumpet, say. However, there are other instruments where it's relatively comfortable to be in close proximity, for example, the piano - if you really listen to the sound of one very close, you'll notice all sorts of peculiar qualities to the noises, which from a distance then blend into the usual experience of a piano.

What I aim for is the system to reproduce all those "peculiar qualities" - and then you get a realistic piano, at any distance from the speakers ...

Fiat, you mean the company that make Ferraris, Maseratis etc? Yeah I could believe that. BMW make minis now. The fiat 500 is bigger than the average estate car these days. A Rolls Royce has the same number of parts as a VW Golf. in fact the golf should have higher quality as more are built.

You know that people do not leave university with a degree in tape deck amplifier design? Pretty insulting to professionals to suggest that do you not think?

Fiat does not make them at all, Fiat only owns them. Maserati's engines are made by Ferrari, not Fiat. You are confusing ownership with know-how. In their day, Fiat used Ferrari engines in their Dino and Dino Spider coupes. Besides, I am not saying Fiat COULD NOT make a wild say V8 engine, of course they could, but it would most probably not rank among the best of them. Look at their track record with big sedans - they stopped making the last one in 1973, and that one was a flop in terms of sales.

Next mixup - an RR has the same number of parts as a VW golf. Which tells us exactly nothing regarding the quality, tolerances and longevity. The mere suggestion that a €24k car is better made than a €350k car is too ridiculous to ven comment on, and saying that's so because the Golf is better made is outright stupid.

You totaly deny experience as any factor. A company specializing in whatever should reasonably be more in that field than another company specilizing in another field, and vice vesra. I find your arguments truly insulting to engineers since they generally deny experiences in a field. You are saying Amstrad would be capable of producing a top flight tape deck; they would probbly be capable of making it, but I seriously doubt it would ever make top flight. So please, take it somewhere else.

Looks like a few didn't get what I mean by acoustic - that means zero, I repeat, zero microphones, pro amps, big black speakers, any of that muck - raw, raw sound - no additional crap in the picture - people have a massive hangup with sound reinforcement these days it seems - if more than 5 feet away from an audience they go all twitchy and nervy unless they have a shiny mic in front of them ... and this really, really p!sses me off ...

Status
Not open for further replies.