John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
but cant the acceleration be accounted for by standard 3D space if you know the positioning ahead of time? I can understand having the extra axis for rotation, but although I can see the usefulness of visualizing and calculating the positioning as acceleration, I dont see why its needed as such? or is the acceleration only applied to the spline based acceleration on the rotational axis?

ahh hang on, efficiency of movement and accounting for avoiding being in the way of the object (also rotating in several axis perhaps) with the tool and making the most of the milling bits, time and energy. it could however be done; rather inefficiently with positional and rotational data alone (plus RPM if cutting)

Last edited:
Jneutron,
I understand B staged prepreg and am thinking you are using this material for an electrical circuit board in your application. When you say you are welding wire is this circuit traces or something else. I guess in most machining operations as qusp said I think that the acceleration and feed speeds are normally a subroutine of the cutter path, so you are going far beyond that with what sounds like to simultaneously moving object rotating in space with a vector intercept function. It all sounds rather interesting to say the least. How does this relate to your work in what I thought was superconducting materials?

Jneutron,
I understand B staged prepreg and am thinking you are using this material for an electrical circuit board in your application. When you say you are welding wire is this circuit traces or something else. I guess in most machining operations as qusp said I think that the acceleration and feed speeds are normally a subroutine of the cutter path, so you are going far beyond that with what sounds like to simultaneously moving object rotating in space with a vector intercept function. It all sounds rather interesting to say the least. How does this relate to your work in what I thought was superconducting materials?
It is kinda like a circuit board..more like one of those rfid printed circuit coils you find in a credit card..just scaled differently, and uses super.

The really smart guys tell me where they want the wire. My job is to put it there.

The process is directional, so needs far more than 3 axis. My example of acceleration was just to show how you can need more than 3 dimensions to describe an active path in space. I take an array of numbers which describe a simple point by point path through 3d space, and I have to make all the axis lay the wire along that path while adjusting how I manhandle the wire to get it to bend correctly. Like driving a car..while the reeses pieces may be in the center of the lane, the person holding the steering wheel has to figure out how to turn it in order to run over the pieces.

jn

I follow that and imagine when you say wire it is on the micron level so to speak. I imagine there is a very specific bend radius something that small can do before it would micro crack. Way beyond something I am going to do with my wire feed welder.......:D

I use two types of wire, one is .013" dia (.33mm, 200 amperes), and one is .045" (1mm, 1 to 2 kiloamperes) comprised of 7 strands of the first one.

The average placement accuracy with respect to the center of the tube is about 100 microinches. The tube varies from .5 meters to about 3 meters, and 2cm dia to about 20 cm.

jn

The tube is produced with the prepreg? So the wire is much larger than I was thinking, but your positional tolerance is very close.
The tubes are wrapped with it. And, yes the positional tolerances are absurd. Nature of the beast.

The LHC has positional tolerances in the tens of microns..the entire ring.

And you guys criticize me of going to extremes? '-) Can't you think of 'cheap and effective' ways of getting the same results with your projects? OH, it's because you don't have to pay for it. '-)

I don't. You are trying to solve some problems where you do not understand fully the issues. It happened when you were testing IC's with your ST machine without considering the ground loop problem.

Thick aluminum cases are one solution to loop and EMC issues, not necessarily the best and certainly not the cheapest or most elegant. But a solution nonetheless.

I believe you are criticized for embracing pseudoscientific explanations and then telling those who balk at the pseudoscience that they have no clue how to create "high end audio"..

As far as your expertise on the solid state end, I have no criticisms of you other than the simple fact that you have failed miserably in documenting your life's experience for all to learn from.

jn

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This is a public Apology and a warm Thank you to Richard.

There was a posting of mine yesterday which contained a phrase that would be interpreted by an intelligent reader in a manner rather insulting toward Richard.
My delayed comprehension of the problem, allowed some of you to read it, before the moderators had it removed under my request.
I asked for a private communication with Richard.
My English are lacking here, so what I have to say about his response will fail to describe the real Gentleman that he is.

Regards
George

John,
I think what jneutron is doing is far beyond what us mere mortals would consider standard electronic development. When you are doing experimental development it isn't cost no object, but it isn't cheap either. Could you imagine if you could design your circuits with little to no impedance with a superconducting material? Take all those R's out of the equation or limit them to really small values? Somebody has to do the basic research and that can be fun if you are the one who gets to do it. Wouldn't you like it if someone gave you a blank piece of paper and said go invent something new, you don't have to worry about the financial side of it, just use your mind? Just gave you and end result they were trying to achieve, I think many of us would jump at the chance.

John,
I think what jneutron is doing is far beyond......
I am part of a team What we do appears crazy. but as you say, it is extremely rewarding (not monetarily of course, just self satisfaction).

It is also rewarding when the research and techniques get out for the public's benefit. Things like medical synchrotrons for cancer therapy.. I hope I do not need such in the future, but know better.

I backed into this rose bush so to speak. And constantly learn.

Which is why I frequent here. to learn.

jn

but cant the acceleration be accounted for by standard 3D space if you know the positioning ahead of time? I can understand having the extra axis for rotation, but although I can see the usefulness of visualizing and calculating the positioning as acceleration, I dont see why its needed as such? or is the acceleration only applied to the spline based acceleration on the rotational axis?

ahh hang on, efficiency of movement and accounting for avoiding being in the way of the object (also rotating in several axis perhaps) with the tool and making the most of the milling bits, time and energy. it could however be done; rather inefficiently with positional and rotational data alone (plus RPM if cutting)

Kinda like using a 6 axis robot to move the Millenium Falcon out of the death star hanger. 3 axis to position the center of the model, 3 to rotate the ship as it translates.

Now I'm designing up a CNC router for home use. 3 axis isn't going to be enough, as some of the wooden gears I make require features that will need a 4th.

jn

Wooden gears for your clocks? Oh how I hated to have to draw gears by hand back in school. I assume these are not straight cut gears but helical gears you are doing.
Epicycloidal, not involute. And 2-d, not helical. There's no problem with backlash, and I don't need helical for noise. The mesh speeds are kinda slow..

I am working out the details of a bevel gear cutting mechanism though. Fascinating geometrical issues.

Right now, I use a pin router I made to cut the valleys, and an indexing jig for circular accuracy. Problem is, the smallest spiral bit I've found that's any good is 1/8th dia and 1/2 inch cutting length. I'd like smaller diameter, but the bit gets too short for some gears. I had to use a scroll saw for a 550 mil total width 8 tooth 700 mil thick gear. My hand is still paralyzed from holding the work too tight too long.

jn

Last edited:
Kindhornman, I work with people like that, all the time. They are just not believed in on this website. In fact, they are hated, with gusto! One of the reasons that I am 'debunked' here is because of my association with some of these people. Trust me, they have equal access to lab facilities, if only indirectly, these days. Superconductors? Sure!

And you guys criticize me of going to extremes? '-) Can't you think of 'cheap and effective' ways of getting the same results with your projects? OH, it's because you don't have to pay for it. '-)
What many people don't want to accept is that the ear/brain is capable of processing what it picks up with extreme resolution when it is so inclined. This hearing system is a slippery eel, it can be as sloppy as hell one moment, then ultra precise just a tick later, it's all over the place ... it refuses to be nailed down, conform to a nice set of "engineering" rules.

Hence the struggle to try and feed it with just the right sort of material to keep it happy all the time ... :D

Frank

Jneutron,
Have you thought about turning a router 90 degrees and moving along the z axis to the surface and having a cutter made to create the bottom of the gear tooth? Then you could use your pin router to make just the outer portion of the tooth in the normal fashion. Just an idea.

Last edited:
John,
Only a fool would not want to hear what you have to say, that would be someone with way to much ego or some other agenda. But they do want the facts about why someone did something a specific way and may question a particular aspect of a design. That is the nature of this type of forum. We may rib you at time and in our own way try to make suggestions that some of us may have a lot of experience in. This should be a back and forth exchange unless it just becomes a teacher student type of conversation where the teacher takes no criticism or suggestion. We all remember our best teachers, they are the ones who made a difference and got our attention, the others are soon forgotten and don't teach so much as just direct you where to go and learn if you want to. I don't think you just make things up, you have a reason for why you do what you do, perhaps at times we forget why we originally did something. Things can become rote, just doing what we know and never leaving the comfort of what worked in the past. I think that with the ever changing devices and the elimination of older devices that is hard to do in this area of circuit design. Unless of course you have a warehouse full of vintage devices that allows you to keep on doing the same thing until you run out!

Status
Not open for further replies.