And what did we buy today?

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Internet advertising is, I suspect, a bubble due to burst. All the people I know either adblock, or simply ignore the ads. The youngsters are the ones most likely to adblock! I doubt there is much real revenue there, it's another emperor's clothes issue...

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Yeesh. Right now my ad banner above is displaying the headline, "Subtle & Stylish Tracker."

Granted they're describing a fitness tracker, but still - one of these days George Orwell is going to just climb out of his grave and start slapping the crap out of people.

I kind if wish he would. Maybe a robotic George Orwell should stand in the middle of london and remind people by yelling at them and criticizing them for owning smartphones. That would be nice..

Also a fitness tracker is an contradictory device. If you are looking for a fitness tracker without any privacy invasive features there is no better place than a pen and paper. You get exercise while using it too.

Who ever thought of a lazy fitness tracker was a good idea was a moron working for the government and buisness to try and come up with excuses to fit a piece of highly advanced cellular connected silicon to your wrist with no way of controlling who has your personal bio information.

I would rather donate $1,000 to stallman than to buy a watch that tracks my every move. The future is scary and creepy and draconian and I want no part in it.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yeesh. Right now my ad banner above is displaying the headline, "Subtle & Stylish Tracker."

Granted they're describing a fitness tracker, but still - one of these days George Orwell is going to just climb out of his grave and start slapping the crap out of people.

I believe a donation to the sorum allows you to turn adverts off.

dave

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Lucky you.
DHL charge their extortionate fee even when the government paperwork says no duty/tax due.
and DHL have already been paid for the International carriage.

UPS and FEDEX also do that in Canada; no duty; 50.00 please plus tax.

Sometimes it doubles the cost from the US.

I will not use UPS under any circumstances and have discontinued purchases because the seller would not use mail (the post).

Supposedly there are class action suits against FEDEX and UPS but they seem to be unresolved.

The good thing about the mail is that it's a bit of a lottery that your package will be selected for duties etc. Usually it just goes through because they can't check every package. Couriers always bring it to their broker and unles there is some special arrangement (Digikey from the US to Canada leaps to mind) you will get hosed. I just had a Mouser delivery that came FEDEX (I think) and it added nearly 40% to the cost.

I just ordered some cable and connectors from Markertek and specifically asked for mail. While it was pricey it came in 5 days and there were no extra fees (won the lottery).

Oh well; they gotta get paid but someone somewhere is making out like a bandit!:D.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Got my 6mm-50mm cable crimpers today. Build quality is pretty good, just wish the die would stay in position and not move around so much but that is to be expected, I just need to get them positioned right before crimping down. My die size is correct.

I had some winging/flashing on only one end of the crimp when I just crimped the 6-35 lug onto the end of my 35mm SQ cable, but still not entirely sure what caused that, pinching of the die and lug maybe?, I know its die positions but positioning it right could take some experimentation.

I'm convinced the crimp is a quality connection but just wished it was more uniform around the lug. I ended up re-doing the crimp twice just so I could clean up the flashing and because only one end of the crimp was compressing the lug, the 2 other surfaces of the hexagon weren't compressed as much as the other side. So not entirely sure what effect that will have on the copper inside but its not going anywhere.

I would prefer a better crimping tool (should've gotten the hydraulic type) but I'll see how I go with these hand tools and see if I can't improve the quality of the crimp any more by doing some practice and additional crimps. I will avoid having to do it twice in the future.

Anyway. When they arrived in the mail my mum said to me "What are those, bolt cutters?", I said "No these are cable crimpers that I use to crimp or cold weld the ends of cables instead of soldering them" At least my mum think's I'm a badass. :D

YouTube
YouTube
YouTube

Last edited:
stocking up on jellybean parts.

Attachments

• 04E60684-A0E1-47CC-9BF8-55B38417FDDC.jpeg
    04E60684-A0E1-47CC-9BF8-55B38417FDDC.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 6C70067F-9E2C-46CD-BB13-1EF75B3B0236.jpeg
    6C70067F-9E2C-46CD-BB13-1EF75B3B0236.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 85
The pop-off valve on my water heater let go again.

I have 125 yards+ of water line down hill to my house. Every time a valve is shut quickly (like washing machine) I get a water hammer.

I'm going to install a 2 gallon diaphragm tank near the hot water heater and install it on the water inlet. Hopefully this will help.

Attachments

• DSCN3052.jpg
    DSCN3052.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 81
The pop-off valve on my water heater let go again.

I have 125 yards+ of water line down hill to my house. Every time a valve is shut quickly (like washing machine) I get a water hammer.

I'm going to install a 2 gallon diaphragm tank near the hot water heater and install it on the water inlet. Hopefully this will help.

I think you have to install it upside down empty so it becomes a compressed air tank . that should fix the hammer.