And what did we buy today?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My plate sticker is $60 for two years for a standard plate, but that is the tip of the iceberg. LOL Excise tax is still about $400 a year and insurance about $1400.. Annual safety and emissions inspection is $35.

Sales tax on cars when the inevitable time comes is 6.25%, but they do give you full credit on a trade-in so you only pay tax on the difference. It still hurts. LOL

I just drove past a highway petrol station, €2.15 for one liter of petrol, thats just shy of 9.30 dollars per US gallon.

cheapest i found was 1.939/L i think.

My car is 30 euro insurance and 20 motorway tax per month. but then again, im 26 with very low years built up.

O/T

Health insurance is US35/Month* though with co-pays on treatment capped at 450USD. Irrespective of age or pre-existing condition. Co pays on pharmacy is capped at US275 which in most cases you can claim back or wont apply depending on whether a certain drug is 100% refunded.

*I dont make enough so i get my rates subsidized by the government. I'm actually just an autistic kid on welfare;)

Around here you get a sticker that goes on the windshield. Have to get insurance and inspection first, then you can get the sticker. For about $80. Plates get changed out about every 10 years or so. Three trucks plus a trailer, all due up at different times - so it seems like every other month I’m doing one.

Today, gas here was 1.34$L for regular fuel.

I pay 144$/month for insurance, and 120$/year for the "sticker" that goes on the plate. I'm 43, and I live in one of the cheapest areas to get insurance in (Insurance rates in Ontario are determined by postal code).

When I was 21, I was paying 677$/month for insurance.

It's a real rip off here.

Got a "Bluetooth 5.0 USB Wireless Transmitter Receiver" off ebay. I want to use it in transmitter mode to interface a small Behringer mixer to my BT capable amplifiers.

I thought I could go Tascam USB-122L into my lappy with that connected via BT, but there's like a 500 ms delay...(by the time the music goes round 'n round and comes out there) The USB connected mixer board would do the same in that arrangement.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andy,
You may be right about that. RCA had similarly packaged power chips. Now that you mention it I do remember Plessey chips. Yup, they made it over to North America! These types of chips were always in low end lifestyle type components and small receivers. Motorola had a line of nasty little chips for power output and drivers for outputs. I bet techs that worked on TVs saw more of them than I did.

Boy, did you ever unlock a ton of early memories for me.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My plate stickers run about $120 a year I think. I just pay it without paying attention since I haven't got a choice. No requirement for inspections unless the car changes hands except for immediate family. Of course the Police can order the car in for inspection at any time.

Vehicle sales are subject to full tax here. A trade-in gets deducted off the top before taxes are assessed which is usually in a dealer setting. I haven't checked, but that rate is probably 13%. I have a problem with that since the government already got it's share when the car was sold new. This is more than double dipping. Then there are substantial taxes in our fuel cost, so drivers really get clobbered here.

Insurance rates vary widely depending on where you live. Mine are very low in Georgetown. Someone in Brampton (right next door) pays about twice what I do. That's due to fraud and crime, many accidents are staged against other innocent drivers, and car theft is an issue. Other surrounding towns and cities are also a lot more expensive than where I live. Same for home insurance.

-Chris

When I was 21, I was paying 677$/month for insurance.
It's a real rip off here.

When I was 21 I simply didn’t drive. It was “only” $450 a month where I was, and I was lucky to MAKE $450 a month. I didn’t bother to own a truck or drive at all till I graduated with a master’s and got a “real” job for $55k a year. Still had to pay stupid rates for 3 years before they lowered it to something normal but at least on a decent salary it’s do-able.

It worked out alright. I totaled that car (not at fault) and I got more from insurance than I paid for it.

Eventually, I stopped driving (couldn't afford it anymore) for like ten years.

Now I drive again, but in all honesty though - if I lived in downtown Montréal, I'd sell my BMW (Bayerische Motoren Werke) and use a different BMW (Bus, Metro, Walk) :D

I remember going to Montreal 25 years ago and over the course of my 3 week stay over Christmas, getting bored and going to explore.

I looked up a guitar shop, and walked all the way from where I stayed, along Rue de Sauve (if my memory serves me) and spent an hour in the guitar shop.

I was stunned that Ernie Balls were half the price at home, so I came back with about 10 sets

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I’m not sure what a plate sticker is. ...

In Maine, the yearly plate sticker shows you re-registered, which itself is cheap, but first you have to pay Excise Tax to the town. (In fact this is one transaction, formerly Town Clerk, now mostly online.) There was no equivalent to Excise in New Jersey (they taxed everything else). Three old cars costs a little over $1000 total/year.

There is an annual Safety Inspection. (And smog, but only in cities.) At private garage (NJ had state garage). This is capped at $12.50!! It used to be twice a year but that changed before 2009? When I left, NJ was sliding to every two years because modern cars tend to go bad less quickly than 1960s iron.

I have to produce proof of insurance on demand but I don't get a sticker for that. This is cheaper than in NJ but allowing for the number of cars I see it probably costs a bit more. Insurance fraud seems to be rare here?

High-ish quality BT audio does come with a fair bit of delay. I only use it for portable speakers. Afraid your transmitter will not make a significant improvement.

Well, it's supposedly BT 5.0, which from what they say, has lower latency. So maybe 100 ms instead of 500... I've only charged it up, havent tried it yet.

If it fails in that aspect, it was only $11. I suppose I could try -

Behringer mixer>usb>pc>usb>amp as an alt connection scheme, with the benefit of recording. There's one more - I could really cave and use the 'ol 12-bit analog input to the amp - that outta do it for no latency.

Methinks 12-bit wouldnt effect the SQ of anything I'd sing and play, using the Behringer for compression and hall reverb effect ;')