• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Charity Auction: 2 complete Miro AD1862 DACs

Miro's DAC is a brilliant implementation of the AD1862 non-oversampling R-2R DAC chip, which not only sounds great but lends itself to all sorts of experimentation.

You can read more about the DAC here.

The Auction

I'm auctioning two completed DAC boards to raise funds for DIYaudio's preferred charities: Donations to two great charities – diyAudio Store .

Both causes are great and you're free to choose, but perhaps consider the increase in suicide/suicide attempts during COVID.

Because you'll pay by showing me the receipt from your donation, 100.0% of funds will go to the charity.

I'll mail the DACs to the winners anywhere in the world* at my cost. Insurance and any import duties are on you.
* Where served by the US and your country's postal service.

The DACs

diyaudioauctionpic.jpeg

Both DACs were built and tested by me, using Kester SN63 solder and good components including brand 2 new AD1862N from Rochester Electronics. Panasonic FR, Nichicon, Wima MKP caps on the digital side and Wima MKS on the audio side. I/V resistors are 1.5k ohm General Resistance (Rhopoint) 8G16D and are socketed if you decide you want something even more esoteric.

They both sound good but each is packaged a little differently.

The Experimenter DAC has sockets for DIP op amps and the audio-side electrolytic caps, allowing you to test and tune. Panasonic FR caps and 4898, 4627 and 828 op amps are included to get you started.

The Listener DAC has LM6171 SOIC op amps and Elma Silmic II audio-side electrolytics soldered to the board and is ready to make your ears happy.

Remember that the auction is for the DAC boards only, before you can listen you'll need to provide an i2s converter for whatever data source you're using and good quality +/-5VDC and +/-12VDC power supplies.

The Rules:

You don't have to be a diyaudio member to bid, but maybe you should join, eh?

The Auction is what we here in Virginia farm country call "by the each." Bid a price per board, and the winning bidder can buy one or both at the winning bid price (x2 if taking both boards). If the winner only takes one board, I give the next-highest bidder a chance to buy the other board at their bid price, going down the list if that bidder declines.

Bidding is easy - reply to this thread with your bid, keep watching to see if you get outbid, then bid higher.

Bidding is open now and ends at 1600 UTC/GMT on Saturday 26 June 2021. The official countdown timer is here

The winning bidder must donate within 24 hours, else I'll go to the next bidder.

Good luck and please be generous!

Last edited:
Looking good so far!

Remember, this is a by-the-each auction, so you're not bidding on a specific board. At the end I'll be going down a single list of bidders from high bid to low, offering one or both DACs to the top bidder, then on to the next bidder if the high bidder doesn't want both.

Excellent news! It will play well out of the box, but will benefit from tuning.

My son and I did some testing of resistors and capacitors in the audio path, and I would suggest you do the same. You'll probably hear a substantial difference with good audio electrolytics such as Silmic or Nichicon FG in C27/28 and C32/33 versus the Panasonic FRs in there now. Then try replacing R8/R9 with a standard resistor and you can decide if USD20 resistors are a silly idea or not. I was surprised.

I think I would have spent less on op amps if I'd focused on the passive components first :)