Do TL lines need to be smoothly tapered?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm spending a lot of time looking over posts on this site, and searching on the web basically feeding my brain with loudspeaker tech. Past couple days i've been focusing on transmission lines. I've learned a lot and think I have the basics down. I'm wondering though, if the taper needs to be a 'true' taper to work correctly. Or, if it could be incrimental. For example, 3ft of 12", 10" and 8" sonotube to produce a 9ft line? Would this create anomolies in the output? Or would it be treated as if it were a true 12" to 8" taper?

I started playing with the worksheets. Way more information then I know what to do with. I'd have to say the thing that stands out most to me, is how important damping is. Finding the correct density is just as important as the form of the line itself.

Here's what I have thus far.

fs 25.5hz
vas 133.1L
re 4.16ohms
qes .28
qms 4.57
sd 510cm2

123" long
- 47" @ 1.5sd w/ .5lb stuffing
- 38" @ 1.09sd w/ .5lb stuffing
- 38" @ .44sd w/ .333lb stuffing

Attachments

• tl.gif
    tl.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 160
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.