8 Litre sub challenge!

It pertains to your false statement that there is an ideal ratio between bore and stroke in a combustion engine and that deviation would reduce efficiency.

How that as an analogy suits Xmax or audio drivers in general I have no idea.

Of course there is a ratio. The manufacturers settled that argument long ago. Hence the average 12 inch sub has a greater Xmax than a 4 inch sub. How much would the industry change if we could have 4 inch subs with a 200mm Xmax? I could design awesome under-seat car subs.

Xmax is a term that sounds cool but is way down the pecking order in important specifications. Indeed, when it comes to ported enclosures the better drivers offer less movement relevant to output.

What does that have to do with the ideal, most efficient ratio between bore and stroke in an internal combustion engine you claimed exists?

What can a tell you? If you can't see the relationship between bore (driver diameter) and stroke (xmax) then you're one of the morons the industry markets to. Xmax is a thing that the car subwoofer boys would buy . . . X's and Z's always sound cool . . . After all a Nissan S130 doesn't sound fast but a 280ZX sounds mega-cool.

Take any classic driver, a Peavey Black Widow, for example, nobody ever bragged about Xmax.

Xmax is unimportant. It is a term marketed to low intelligence consumers, those who are impressed by PMPO.

There are a lot of ways in which engines and speakers make very bad analogies for one another (you can pick engine piston stroke with simple selection of geometry of crank throw, Xmax is going to depend on a bunch of much more complicated and narrowly constrained and interacting aspects about cone surround, spider, coil, and magnet designs)

but Xmax is in some sense a lot like length of engine piston stroke - for a given specific diameter, longer throw = greater displacement, and, the greater the displacement, the higher the sound pressure level will be for a specific frequency (though at some point a small diameter driver moving great distances in and out is going to fail to effectively "couple" very well to air movement and acoustics)

What can a tell you? If you can't see the relationship between bore (driver diameter) and stroke (xmax) then you're one of the morons the industry markets to. Xmax is a thing that the car subwoofer boys would buy . . . X's and Z's always sound cool . . . After all a Nissan S130 doesn't sound fast but a 280ZX sounds mega-cool.

Take any classic driver, a Peavey Black Widow, for example, nobody ever bragged about Xmax.

Xmax is unimportant. It is a term marketed to low intelligence consumers, those who are impressed by PMPO.

The Peavy Black Widow is a bass guitar speaker (at least ment to be), and it has also xmax stated (2.6mm). BUt it's not ment as subwoofer driver. It has a high FS (47hz) and is only used in bassamps ment for rock where the bas does not go very low. I was a bass player in a local punkband in the late 90's and used a peavy bassamp with that Black Widow driver, and it does not go low at all (but not needed for rock or punk. It does not work as subwoofer driver at all. it's a midwoofer ment for bassamps

For bass heavy music like reggae/dub, bass players would never use this driver (they use Ampeg SVT-810 cabinets with 8x10" Emminenc drivers tuned to 40Hz). I'm a former reggae/dancehall dj and sound engineer, and know my way arround that scene. Ampeg is the only choice for those bass players as others don't go low enough. And if no ampeg cabinet is arround, they would rather play on the pa and use di from the head they use than to use a flawed (in their point of view) cabinet.

And for modern subwoofers, drivers need to go way lower (below 30Hz) and then xmax is very relevant, in combo with sd and BL. Xmax on it's own does not say anything, but call it irrelevant is ********.

So you are resorting to personal insults in your little toddler's temper tantrum now?

And while I share mondogenerator's assessment of your view on Xmax that is not what I ever referred to. I was merely pulling you up on your false statement that there is one ideal bore/stroke ratio for internal combustion engines.

In very simple terms: after travelling to its full excursion to produce one note it needs to return to its 'starting position' to produce its next. There is also the increase in Doppler effect to consider.

... You do realize this is about a small sub meant to cover "40hz to 80hz" at "not window rattling" volume, yeah?
Doppler effect?!

Firstly yes I know it's tiny and not to expect a lot. Power is around 2 to 300 wrms which should be more than anything in a box that size can use.

Aiming for 40-80hz in car. Just a little fatness in the bottom end, not window rattling.
Open to suggestions for crazy small box drivers🙂

Which shops are you thinking of ordering from?
I know ordering stuff from abroad gets pricey fast, looking at the inventory of whatever shop you want to order from would help significantly.

The LS10-44 Dayton really looks like a strong contender, even though it’s a ten inch driver, is quite thin at 3-3/8”.
This one takes more power, is more efficient than the more common, similarly priced drivers.

I really like the honeycomb composite cone, can only recall seeing that once before, and it was on a driver a wasn’t going to be able to afford anytime soon.

When is the exhaust cam and valves (duration in the 240-270-300 region going to be brought up so an actually relevant piece of a motor(?)??) is fair represented. Or the motor generators that charge dc batteries or run off dc batteries to power electrical loads in a (submarine for example)? phase angle and driver entry Omar nodes? isn’t that more emergency any that xmax and bore/stroke and efficient? All of these are in horn response if represented To it? What’s .349 in a qw pipe vs a .217 or so? And on the far ends this stuff resides as a potential offset exit? Different but related? all of it starts being VERy important and super intersting here (I think?) pic?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 105
More of this? Or Give 12 positions to 360/720? 30/90, 180,360…. Inside 4 hemispheres with 45/135/225/315. .707/1.414… ? This is in a speaker too? It’s lots of ways in 3.14/6.28 3pi,4pi. And start at 0.5236/5.236(pi/ and 10x. (Both ends from 0 and 12(as 1,11 that’s curious if you draw all of this in 1/4:1”‘graph papers and have a metric template of 11,22,33,44….circlesor soheres and a ruler for standard and metric. .)It’s the exact same math as we are used to knowing as ancient 30/60/90 on a sphere. but that’s harder than it sounds? .? it’s all 5.5/7,11/7,22/7,33/7,44/7. at 0,1/4,1/4,3/4,4/4,5/4,7/4, 8/4…. Done/or pressure return ? Or continue as a pattern? But that’s it? Right? Sneak 30 into 90 and rinse and repeat. Bunch of dumb numbers until it’s both sides of the driver and towards the same exit (or phase from )from each that becomes 1/4,3/4 of 4/4? 1.5:1 in 2 circles of infinity

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Hopefully making some sense outa this to be fair and helpful. This type of thing and similar in clocked points on the circles from DC.(small extra on left as 180/90/0 from both sides of the x axis at y=0? I suck at math, forgot it all using calculators or spread sheets now like the rest of us? But what happens in the 30 degree spread on the x axis but clocking this to 90degree parts of 4 in a rotation from 360 to 360/450/540/630/720.

Bad Fournier transform graph develops at odd harmonics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,019 KB · Views: 88
Last edited: