Odd finding in HR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have tried to sim a TL subwoofer enclosure that HR calls an axisymmetric design.
Essentially a box with a pipe sticking out of it (at least I think it is; that is what it looks like).
The odd thing is I have input two different S3 variables and the programme has accepted that and calculated it.
See the attached, ignore the highlighted S4. And ignore the Comment too; the driver is RSS265-HO.
I'm not sure exactly what's going on here. Can there be two different S3 values??
The power response is pretty ordinary but in the LS Wizard with some stuffing I can get it to look really v nice. Slow rise to 40Hz, long flat response to 100 and then it tails off from there gently.

Attachments

• 20201127_095941.jpg
    20201127_095941.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Okay, I think I have kind of sorted it now.
I had double clicked on S1 which had turned the S numbers red. Returning the S1-5 figures to black and it solves the issue.
Also, in the schematic diagram it changed the form of the S2 to a negative flare horn segment.
Not that Im all that much wiser as a result.

Thx for those.
Built the sub-sofa subwoofer and just fine tuning the stuffing now.
Sounds promising and v little to see in-room; just a compact 12-inch box in the back corner.
Thx to HR and David for that. The power response in LS Wizard seems about right, though without measurement tools, who knows?
But the distaff is certainly happier.

Hmm. Was pretty sure something wasn’t quite right with the sofa sub. Turns out I miscalculated pipeline length. So it was a bit too long by about 40cm.
I also managed to get the power response in the main screen looking great. Went home to modify and its now much improved; I just cannot tell where the sub is located. Might have overstuffed the line initially too.
Will now check to see whether doubling up on drivers works or whether another tiny visible sub is a better move. Hopefully the former as it’s still nicely hidden away.

The latest twist in the ongoing pipe saga.
Decided I should probably check out the 15-inch driver with the smaller pipe diameter, and decided to try something a bit different, putting it into a 40cm section of 400mm PVC storm water drain, and snaking a 150mm section of pipe out the rear of that and in behind the equipment rack at floor level. I can get down to 20Hz on the sim with under 1.6m of pipe. And if I taper it, even lower.
It might be the location but it really does destroy the 10-inch sub sofa subwoofer, even with two drivers in place. I intend to try the 2x10 box in the same location.

Whether I can actually get away with either is probably the more important question. But it certainly is better hidden than the 3.5m Pipe Dream. See poor image below.

It might seem like I'm going around in circles, but actually I believe I am making progress. Less pipe, better sound, much less aesthetically intrusive and I can make the enclosure look better with a bit more woodwork and plastic paint. It is moving out of the prototype phase soon...

The pipe can be seen in the background; the four-outlet power multibox is sitting on it.
The other woofer, Juno, seems to take an interest in the canine news stories!

Attachments

• 20201203_190141.jpg
    20201203_190141.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Juno plus subwoofer.jpg
    Juno plus subwoofer.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.