PA 2x18" for Faital 18XL1800

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a pair of these drivers for cheap and have decided to build a cabinet for them.

Link to the manufacturer's page: FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 18XL1800

Aims:
- Go at least as loud as four of my 15" subs
- Get nice and low - 30Hz would be nice
- Easy enough to move by myself
- Take everything a bridged Powersoft T602 will throw at it

After some playing with Hornresp, I settled on a boring ported box. 250L chamber volume, port of 1000cm^2 area and 80cm long.

That just about matches 4x 15"s (the 15"s put out a couple more dB at 100Hz, but I'm crossing over there anyway), while getting 10Hz lower. Today's super-woofers are impressive.

Now, the cabinet tuning comes out around 30Hz, which means there's a lot of excursion around 40Hz - 27mm peak (Xmax=20mm) if the T602 puts a full-power sine tone there.
So, I tested a driver in free-air conditions with one channel of the amplifier. Cone excursion got to in excess of 50mm p/p with a lot of wind noise, but there wasn't much sign of the driver "locking up" at that sort of cone travel. I actually ended up clipping the amplifier trying to make the driver struggle.

Probably fine, then. Under normal use there would be a few different frequencies happening at once, so I don't think it'll be a huge problem.

The port velocity gets to around 32m/s with a 3rd order 27Hz highpass filter in place. That's a little on the high side for linear operation, but it's another compromise - a bigger port would mean a bigger cabinet, and it's already around 1/4 of the total cabinet volume.

Driven to the ragged edge, this subwoofer will probably start showing compression in the 30-40Hz range, but there's still a lot of output potential there.

See attachments for a couple of drawings of what I've got so far. I don't think there's anything special happening with this design, but I have tried to avoid any bracing inside the port, in order to keep air flow as smooth as possible. The brace against the back panel is a compromise - I didn't want to leave a panel that large free to resonate.

I'm planning on a tip-and-roll setup for moving this around - the form factor should make life nice and easy.

The wood supplier has a 2-3 week wait at the moment, and I'm planning on placing the order some time next week. Stay tuned.

Chris

Attachments

• Screenshot 1.png
    Screenshot 1.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 270
  • Screenshot 2.png
    Screenshot 2.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 255
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Chris there is some discussion on port velocity here:Ricci's CKRAM Subwoofer and Files - Bass Projects - Data-Bass Forums
The conclusion been that although you get compression with 35m/s there isn't much that can be done about it with high excursion drivers. The other concern with long ports is that as you make them longer you push a cancellation notch down into the passband. The driver cover idea in the linked thread also gives a few dB more efficiency in the upper bass (and gets rid of large expensive, rattling grills).

Thanks for the link - interesting reading.

The circular covers look interesting. I ran a rough sim and found it resulted in a wide bump around 200Hz, but wide enough to add a couple of dB of boost around 100Hz.

... Plus, it's a nice way of re-using baffle cutouts.

Some investigation to be done there - thanks for the lead!

Chris

Look forward to your build! Faital's are always nice but too expensive over here.

Useful stuff from Ricci as usual. Quite excited for the Eminence drivers. Will be lucky to get 14mm with the power I have available but it's still more than l'll ever need.

I picked up a pair of these drivers for cheap and have decided to build a cabinet for them.

That just about matches 4x 15"s (the 15"s put out a couple more dB at 100Hz, but I'm crossing over there anyway), while getting 10Hz lower. Today's super-woofers are impressive.

The wood supplier has a 2-3 week wait at the moment, and I'm planning on placing the order some time next week. Stay tuned.
Chris,

Impressive driver specs!

I wouldn't worry about 32m/s port velocity- at that output level the drivers can use some air cooling ;^).

Your cabinet looks to be about the same volume as my Keystone design, curious as to how one of those drivers in a TH would compare to the pair in the BR.

Although the Keystone opening makes the response a bit different than Hornresp predictions, the inputs below would give a reasonably close approximation for comparison.

Art

Attachments

• Keystone HR guess.png
    Keystone HR guess.png
    285.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Keystone Hornresp reverse engineered.png
    Keystone Hornresp reverse engineered.png
    523.6 KB · Views: 210
Hi Art,

I did try a few THs and unfortunately these drivers don't quite have the BL for it - 25.4 for the Faital, where the B&C 18SW115 comes in at 30.3.
I suppose the compromise in trying to get so much Xmax is that the magnetic field is stretched a little thinner.

The Keystone results vary according to which Hornresp inputs I use: one gives a 33Hz tuning frequency and a large bump in output around 40Hz, while the other is tuned in the high-30s, with a smaller bump around 45Hz and a steep rolloff below that.

Both models keep up with the 2x18" ported box over a narrow frequency range, and lose out elsewhere. A pair of THs beat the 2x18" over the range (though it's within a dB around 60Hz), but with a lumpier response, less HF bandwidth, more boxes and more wood.

I like output density as a feature of my designs, so while the comparison with the THs is interesting, I'd like to stick with ported boxes for the dB/cu.ft.

Chris

The port velocity gets to around 32m/s with a 3rd order 27Hz highpass filter in place. That's a little on the high side for linear operation, but it's another compromise - a bigger port would mean a bigger cabinet, and it's already around 1/4 of the total cabinet volume.

Looks awesome, good luck with it.
One thing maybe worth considering - if you can tolerate a bigger box at all, try assigning that extra volume to Vb - that will then result in a shorter vent length for any given tuning & port area, so for example a 50l increase in Vb might only result in a 30-odd l increase in total box size. You might even manage a larger vent area if you do that.
Cheers,
David.

Yeah, a little more volume and a little less port does get a smidge more output, although we're looking at less than a dB difference. Adding 100L gets me another 2dB below 40Hz, with slightly more excursion used. The extra output would be nice, but that's a serious increase in size.

At the moment, the panels fit beautifully on a pair of 4x8' sheets, with over 91% of the material utilised (and that's without considering the small braces).

External dimensions are:
124cm tall, 75cm deep, 54cm wide, plus or minus a few mm.

Weight will come in around 80-90kg, which isn't too bad. I won't be able to dead-lift it, but I've spent time with similar cabinets and found them fine to get on/off a wheel board etc.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.