Celestion System 6000 vs GR Research dipole bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of triple H frame GR Research servo subs and they produce the best bass I’ve ever heard. My room is 27’ x 17’ x 8’ and they can play as loud as I can stand without running out of steam. -3db in the mid teens. Couldn’t be happier with them.

12" units on the 6000 quite limiting.
No issues using UM18's :D

o24COYc.jpg

Your speaker is very Interesting!! Very Impressive!!

What do you think Acoustic Elegance Dipole 18 for your compound Dipole Approach??

Acoustic Elegance Dipole18 woofer for Open Baffle Apps

I have used this speakers with several of my designs. For my bass tastes, it wont do SPLs, and bottoms out. Might need several of them, but the price is prohibitive.
McNAg9d.jpg

I think where the AE's excel is high crossover capability. For my purposes, the UM's are the best woofer I have tried so far.

Last edited:
If you are truly curious about the Celestion 6000 dipole setup versus GR Research, you need to understand that the former was designed circa mid 1980's. Design work on open baffle drivers have improved and changed; I am sure the Xmax on the GR Research driver alone (and used in multiples) completely outclass the Celestion 6000. Moreover the Celestion 6000 when used as a system with the SL600 main monitor, only "needed" an overall sensitivity rating of about 82.5dB/W. The GR Research OB setups (both in doubles and triples), have about 90+dB sensitivity ratings.

So it is not surprising that the GR Research OB dipole setups will outclass the Celestion 6000 on first look.

Celestion System 6000 loudspeaker system Measurements | Stereophile.com

Best,
Anand.

Last edited:
Could you please give us some SPL readings of the dipole sub?

Let's say max SPL @20Hz, @40Hz, @80Hz, xover freq.?

Not exactly sure how to do that. I have taken measurements of the system @ 1m:

At the moment crossing at 275Hz. I have dynamic eq applied to compensate the bass roll-off at low volumes.

Attachments

• UM18.jpg
    UM18.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
12" units on the 6000 quite limiting.
No issues using UM18's :D

o24COYc.jpg

There is an acoustic short circuit in your setup.

Right now the pressure created by the rear sub with its driver moving forward gets cancelled by the under-pressure created by the front driver moving forward and vice versa.

Only rear driver rear surface and front driver front surface are doing the work.

The efficiency of the dual subs is +6dB that of a single driver but the SPL is still as much as a single sub.

If you place the subs side-by side or one on top of the other so their driver cone surfaces lay in line that would eliminate the acoustic short circuit and the SPL output would go up by 6dB.

If you still want them keep one in front of the other you can place a barrier in between them on angle as long as the barrier reaches of goes past the opposite ends of edges of the drivers where the dipole acoustic nulls are - like that: I/I

Hope that helps. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.