15hz, high volume

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmm...This should get you started. Personally I would aim at 130 dB/m, which should be within the excursion capabilities of this driver.

Attachments

• 140 dBm.jpg
    140 dBm.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 197
It's telling to close the door on a car while looking at the display of a flat reading SPL meter. 140dB SPL at low frequencies is easy. How about diving into water? Much higher. It's all about the frequency. Very high amplitudes at low frequencies are common in daily life. I've personally experienced above 150dB, flat weighted, in a car between 15 and 25Hz. You could easily hear the person next to you speak at a normal level, you just couldn't understand them due to huge modulation of their chest cavity and I guess the ears.

I would not expose my ears to 105dB in the mid band for more than a few minutes.

Last edited:
"140dB Threshold of pain, all frequencies
140dB Hearing protection required (definite long term damage)"

"A" weighted I absolutely agree. The OP wants 140dB flat weighted. Completly different story. I don't have the FM curves with me but from memory this would be around 50dB above the threshold of hearing. Not all that loud. Opening the back window on your car at 100kph will get you WAY louder, and lower.

It should probably be noted that the presence of high levels of low frequencies actually has a protective effect on human hearing. The ears response is to close down the ear canals, with no damage is done to the cilia. I used this effect to advantage in a recent nightclub installation. The solid bottom end made for a very exciting experience at levels that posed no risk to the patrons hearing.

Hmm...This should get you started. Personally I would aim at 130 dB/m, which should be within the excursion capabilities of this driver.

FWIW, at down to 14 Hz I could only 'squeeze' ~127 dB [avg]/0.5pi/90 W out of a ~55 ft^3 net DSL concept TH and still get a usable ~ 1.5 octaves, though maybe one of those higher order TP/TH alignments can eek out a few more dB.

GM

Attachments

• AP_TXX-BD2W_14TH.txt
    1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Im understanding Hoffman so im expecting large enclosures and large amounts of power. I currently have 2300w on tap i to the 1Ω load my driver has nominally.

though maybe one of those higher order TP/TH alignments can eek out a few more dB

3m3-412-maxspl.JPG

4 ALPINE R-W12D2 in a 3 cubic meter ROAR will comfortably hit 140 dB @ 14 Hz in a 0,5 pi environment. If your car cabin is structurally strong and stiff enough you will get upward of 10 dB cabin gain on top of this. :eek:

The downside might be the 3000 liter box....

Last edited:
3m3-412-data.JPG

3m3-412-spl1w.JPG

Some more data.

The max spl graph in the previous post was calculated with 2300 watts and 20 mm xmax. ( Considering the tactile and very physical characteristic of the flat plane wavefront from the large front resonator this would be a contender for any "brown note" experiments)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.