Isobaric ob?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So it might look this, will a curved slot hurt? Best low fq in this would be say 4 15s or 18s, or a double bank of smaller one like 12 8s?
At 40 Hz and below the shape won't make a difference. You are in the room mode region and position is everything, it would be best if they were in separate cabinets that you could position independently of the main speakers

Google Trans-fi Audio and take a look at Vic's OB bass system. He's also discussed it and the development of his speaker systems recently on the Lenco Heaven forum. I've heard the version using 15" drive units and it worked really well. It's.The best OB bass system I've heard. He's since changed out the drivers for 18" ones to add more headroom. This is a compound system using face-to-face drivers attached to each other and suspended from a compact frame. There's no baffles, and despite the size of the drivers, it's less dominating than you'd think, because it isn't very tall.

Like these?
Peerless by Tymphany STW-350F-188PR01-04 15" High Power Subwoofer,

Those are probably fine, but over priced for the application - you don't need a woofer that can handle thousands of watts.

For OB use, most drivers will hit maximum movement well before they approach their power limits.

EDIT - to clarify "to maximise output for a given baffle size is to get the largest excursion drivers you can afford"

excursion = driver surface area multiplied by Xmax.

Last edited:
Planet ten,
Thanks for posting, going down the trans hifi rabbit hole have changed my plans alot, if you do look at his ob page he details the numerous stages of his development and ends with two woffers face to face in an infinite baffel minimalist frame, not technically isobaric but tell me what to call it and i will, other drivers to complete the full frequency.
Hollow boy,
Thanks again for your input, since reading the trans fi page i have decided to do something different two nice 18s mounted face to face with a slight space between then maybe 2, 8"inch tang band 1808 fr and a nice ribbon to finish, no curves, no array.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
found it!

Attachments

• La Chose en détail.jpg
    La Chose en détail.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 101
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.