Isobaric ob?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, just wondering if someone could help me, would mounting two subwoofers cone to cone with small spacer, push pull style eliminate some, all, or none of the problems associated with ob bass driver selection. A wider choice of subs would be great if this worked. Ill also be running mini dsp.

Welcome to the forum. Have you built an OB / any speakers before?

I think an isobaric OB would be less good than using the same two drivers conventionally. Normally, the benefit of isobaric mounting is to reduce (effective) VAS to allow smaller enclosures, but for an OB, that's irrelevant.

A SLOB (slot loaded open baffle) has some benefits, such as reduced panel vibration, but the orientation is a little different.

A wider choice of subs would be great if this worked. Ill also be running mini dsp.

If you're running DSP, you can use any woofer you want and shape the response to whatever you want... it is all good until you run out of (clean) displacement.

Thanks holowboy, so my reasons for asking were to get maximum bass within a certain height, if i were to mount isobaric method i could have double the woofers for any given height, and control irregularities I am aware that i wont get same output as two its just for control and extra choice for 40hz and below woofers. The other question i would like an answer to is if you mount isobaric style east west insted of North south, so half the woofer is in the back of the baffel and half out the front does it interfear with the baffel plain effect for these drivers or mid/high drivers?

Thanks that was easy.

Attachments

• 1553501742844-451995423.jpg
    1553501742844-451995423.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 208
You are right, that's what isobaric means. It's mainly used to half enclosure size and can cancel some even order harmonic distortions, second mainly, since drivers don't produce much above second and third harmonics. I don't think it will give you any advantages in an open baffle

Slot loaded would be a good option for what you want to achieve

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.