Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

15" folded horn idea
15" folded horn idea
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2018, 08:52 PM   #1
Vintage Audio Projec is offline Vintage Audio Projec
diyAudio Member

Default 15" folded horn idea

Hi you all,

This will be my first post around here but I have been reading quite some threads.

I was thinking for a folded horn design that needs to cover the bass and upper bass (from around 50-60 to 200-250Hz)
Some sort of kickbin. My experience so far with that frequency range is that a 15" drivers sounds very good.

Ofcourse it depends alot of the driver and design but in general I like the sound that a good 15" driver can produce.
If they are horn loaded I like it even more the headroom and the transients....
(I have build 16 punisher horns in the past and powered with 1kw/ punisher it's insane.... You need a lot of BR boxes and power to do the same,)
So I was thinking that getting to around 50-60Hz with a folded 15" horn doesn't has to be that extremely large

So i was searching and came across a design from the old fane speaker book
Fane 1x15 Folded Horn | Ubertino Landi di Chiavenna | Flickr or you can find the book here http://www.ozvalveamps.org/cabinets/...ages-26-33.pdf and there the last 2 pages.

Searching further I also came across this horn from cowan called the Horn sub JR
Horn Subwoofer

They are not that different from each other

So I ran some hornresp simulations on the cowan design.

It will not be corner loaded so the last section was removed from the simulation.

The driver I would want to use is the Beyma 15P80ND.

QTS is only 0.178 and the EBP is 181.

BL is 24.3 so I think it would be a great horn driver
Xmax is 7.5mm.

Xlim is 26mm.

So My first simulation gave this
Click the image to open in full size.

I think it's actually quite good. The enclosure is only 60cm x 60cm x 70cm
It does 101db at 50Hz. After that it goes down relatively fast.

The driver is rated for 800w aes and 1600w peak.
So when used for continues operating (800w) i get the next simulation.

So that gives 135db of output. Falling to 130db around 50Hz.
It still does 125db at 40Hz ....so a little bit Eq is possible.
Simulating the 15P80ND in a BR enclosure only gets me to 122db at 40Hz....

Looking at the excursion it goes a little over Xmax around 80Hz but it's only 0.5mm so not a big problem.
Even without a Highpass filter the woofer is well within the Xdamage Limit altough I would not do that.

Now if I would use 4 of those boxes stacked together at full power then the simulation changes to this

That is over 140db...
It goes a bit lower also (around 45Hz)
Xmax is also reduced a little bit

You can even push further and use 1600w peak for each driver resulting in 145db... but xmax goes up. Still below Xdamag but a little bit over Xmax so distortion will rise a little bit.

So what do you guys think of this horn design? altough a little bit "outdated". Using a modern speaker I think it could work and still be transportable.
There will be some compression loss at high power but I think it will go very loud. And most of the alround music at small parties will not lose that much extention.

And what abou tthe upper extention? I would like to cross at around 200-250Hz
Looking at the graphs I think it would be possible

15" folded horn ideaHide this!Advertise here!