15" folded horn idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Art, i am seeing low rumbling at half (25hz) the the kick/ synth frequencies on the rta. Thats why i was calling them sub harmonic as they are 20 db down from the tight grouped spread of the fundamentals centered around 50 hz.
What would you call the lower rumbling at 25 hz at 20 db down?

Last edited:
"What would you call the lower rumbling at 25 Hz at 20 db down?"

I'd call it either a "G0", or a "G#0".

As you can see in the visual analysis of a four string bass guitar low "E" ("E1", 41.2Hz) it's fundamental (first harmonic) is around 15dB lower amplitude than the second harmonic (82 Hz). Put that bass through a typical stage amp, and the fundamental looses another 10dB or more compared to the second harmonic. The "E1" note is still an E, and perceived as a low note regardless of the fundamental amplitude level, because the spacing of the harmonics will all be multiples of the fundamental.

A five string bass has become common now, and the 30.87 Hz fundamental on it generally is around 20 dB down, the "A0" (27.5 Hz) on a grand piano seldom will produce a fundamental tone within 20 dB of it's second harmonic.

Many synthesized instruments follow the patterns of acoustic instruments, so there are plenty examples as you have mentioned.
Finding musical examples in the "0" and "1" octave range where fundamental frequencies are as loud as the second harmonic is limited to very few genres.

Attachments

• Notes vs frequency.png
    Notes vs frequency.png
    266 KB · Views: 125
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.