Need help : sealed Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1

Nice build! Especially the woodwork

Have you considered just splitting the signal so you can use both channels of the inuke? Should be no problem then!

4 pole speakon is really usefull, i already made 4 cable same as your suggestion but i think why not just put 2 drivers is series? because i still need another channel for 2nd subwoofer set. so series connection is used now.

tonight i played low volume music only utilizing PRV 5" and subwoofer. 1st observation of behringer protect is gone due to 'normal' 8 ohm load. bass produced is really deep but the biggest problem is room mode especially on listening position (room drawing on number 1).

i walk to different position and position 6 is also not preferred due to center of the half room position. while position 2,3,5 provide real good low bass, and most surprising result is position 4 where this is the lowest and loudest bass. with almost 6m wide it seems position 4 looks like a golden triangle to the room, but unfortunately my L shape room only expose half front area.

it seems more tweaks and spot testing should be performed, and building 2nd set subwoofer might help to reduce room mode and i can apply multiple subwoofer program on behringer

Attachments

• IMG_20191215_213341.jpg
    IMG_20191215_213341.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20191215_213358.jpg
    IMG_20191215_213358.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 128
4 pole speakon is really usefull, i already made 4 cable same as your suggestion but i think why not just put 2 drivers is series? because i still need another channel for 2nd subwoofer set. so series connection is used now.

tonight i played low volume music only utilizing PRV 5" and subwoofer. 1st observation of behringer protect is gone due to 'normal' 8 ohm load. bass produced is really deep but the biggest problem is room mode especially on listening position (room drawing on number 1).

i walk to different position and position 6 is also not preferred due to center of the half room position. while position 2,3,5 provide real good low bass, and most surprising result is position 4 where this is the lowest and loudest bass. with almost 6m wide it seems position 4 looks like a golden triangle to the room, but unfortunately my L shape room only expose half front area.

it seems more tweaks and spot testing should be performed, and building 2nd set subwoofer might help to reduce room mode and i can apply multiple subwoofer program on behringer
Very nice listening room, whish i had one :)

If you'll add a 2nd sub i would put them in series as well

Room modes, yes, high quality LF reproduction is all about managing those! Another way of putting it, quoting Geddes, is that the freefield response is meaningless inroom :). Adding a 2nd sub will probably eliviate the modes to some extend. You can also consider using your huge mains as 3rd and 4th LF source, geddes style :)

Myself, im using the Toole approach, with 4 subs, dsp for each and MSO software to model and tweak dsp settings and the resulting response. Works as a charm :). Sublows you can lean into without sounding boomy.

earl geddes multiple subwoofers and MSO program is already on my bookmark :) i have 4 infinity kappa perfect 12.1 drivers, 4 multiple single subwoofer option should be the best one however my room is a multipurpose one. on position 3 corner is the kitchen area while position 2 is utilized by refrigerator and dining table. so only left and right front area can be utilized for my audio gear.

with 2 set of dual-opposed subwoofer and MSO also give the configuration for my behringer, this is the best compromise that i get.

on another thread i wrote this room build since last year, originally i want this room become my audio/video room while the kitchen should be on 2nd floor. I even planned to create 2 holes on the concrete ceiling (left and right front top) for IB subwoofer.

but my wife insisted that she can't live with kitchen on 2nd floor because too much trouble for her on the stairs. i also gave her an option to utilise the room beside L shape for the kitchen but she wanted it as guest room :) after all it's all about comprise with your family

i have been familiar with my mains 21" OB bass for 2years now, produced bass from dual-opposed sealed is different with OB bass. deep low bass is not something that OB can achieved but when i raise the hpf for sealed it's really annoying. i suspect 60Hz should be ideal hpf, 80Hz might be the highest. but i have to increase behringer volume to get bass effect.

my biggest concern right now is my neighbors because our walls are connected :) getting deep bass without annoying them is also a compromise i should make. i'll have to go to their room to get the sense of my bass which they received

Last edited:
earl geddes multiple subwoofers and MSO program is already on my bookmark :) i have 4 infinity kappa perfect 12.1 drivers, 4 multiple single subwoofer option should be the best one however my room is a multipurpose one. on position 3 corner is the kitchen area while position 2 is utilized by refrigerator and dining table. so only left and right front area can be utilized for my audio gear.

with 2 set of dual-opposed subwoofer and MSO also give the configuration for my behringer, this is the best compromise that i get.

on another thread i wrote this room build since last year, originally i want this room become my audio/video room while the kitchen should be on 2nd floor. I even planned to create 2 holes on the concrete ceiling (left and right front top) for IB subwoofer.

but my wife insisted that she can't live with kitchen on 2nd floor because too much trouble for her on the stairs. i also gave her an option to utilise the room beside L shape for the kitchen but she wanted it as guest room :) after all it's all about comprise with your family

i have been familiar with my mains 21" OB bass for 2years now, produced bass from dual-opposed sealed is different with OB bass. deep low bass is not something that OB can achieved but when i raise the hpf for sealed it's really annoying. i suspect 60Hz should be ideal hpf, 80Hz might be the highest. but i have to increase behringer volume to get bass effect.

my biggest concern right now is my neighbors because our walls are connected :) getting deep bass without annoying them is also a compromise i should make. i'll have to go to their room to get the sense of my bass which they received
Yeah such is life :)

MSO will help for sure. Only, it takes you a day or two at least to get to know the program, do all measurements, go through the laborious process of importing and designating files, define filters and run optimizations. The only advantage is that you know this process leads to a good result finally. Doing it manually for multiple locations with multiple dsp channels drives you crazy :).

started 2nd build but this time i just use modest bracing unlike previous build which took too much effort and too heavy. with bb/cc hard plywood, i only put double layer on driver baffle.

with the experience that i have, this time is faster building process. 1 day already made alot of progress. only need to put the last baffle then will continue to finishing step

Attachments

• IMG_20200105_162137.jpg
    IMG_20200105_162137.jpg
    836 KB · Views: 485
i use subwoofer controller board to get mono signal then send it to behringer which drive the drivers in series. with only one subwoofer in the room, there are some null spot especially in the centre of the room. hopefully the 2nd subwoofer can help to reduce this null

Attachments

• 20191215_100326.jpg
    20191215_100326.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20191229_164456.jpg
    IMG_20191229_164456.jpg
    917.5 KB · Views: 83
Were you the one looking for the infinity kappa reference on diymobileaudio?

I still have my pair but built a Adire Maelstrom first. Servo controlled.

Will build the infinity's over the summer. View attachment 943096

i posted WTB thread on my local forum only, I'm the other side of the earth from USA :) but i'm looking for kappa perfect series not reference as spare just in case bad thing happen to this obselete driver.

indeed this is a great performance/value driver, too bad they don't produce it anymore, while reference series is still available on market place

i can say best subwoofer in room that i ever heard until now, deep bass with lots of capability to shake my couch and rattle metal house structure. that's still 1 led blink out of 4 from my behringer. never had my guts to set full volume yet, don't want to get any complaint from my neighbour who share double brick walls with me

Last edited:
better keep it, i never sold my audio gear until now yet. it's the last thing to sell for me unless you really2 broke and dying to get money. getting 60% of original value is still good one this day, that's why o like buying 2nd item because it's cheaper :)

ibecause 1 driver is an older 12 version while other 3 drivers are 12.1 , i still keep on searching for 1 replacement 12.1 but still have no luck

but today suddently in my local online shop, Infinity kappa perfect 12 VQ just shown up as new item. I can not resist for not asking the seller : they are brand new

i have just paid 2 drivers for $450 which i think a bargain for brand new (because there is another store that have 4 drivers with $310 each but used item)

i will put these 2 VQ in my existing box which should be fine, but now i'm wondering if will it be an issue for using 2 dual-opposed box with slightly different drivers in multiple subwoofer setup ?
maybe issue with integration, phase,freq resp etc

indeed buying 2 more VQ drivers is the best option, but it would cost another money too

Last edited:
I just received the package of 2 infinity kappa perfect 12VQ, I'm amazed by it looks. can't believe still getting new old stock complete with original boxes and accessories

I bought my existing 4 drivers in 3 batches where the last one i got 2 drivers with same series of 12.1 but previous one old 12 and 12.1

comparing VQ series with my inventory really shows the different. VQ has bigger magnet and voice coil, with slighly bigger basket.

i will just sell my 4 existing drivers and buy a second pair VQ :D

Attachments

• P_20210617_173206.jpg
    P_20210617_173206.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 64
  • P_20210617_211028_1.jpg
    P_20210617_211028_1.jpg
    661.6 KB · Views: 64