Adire Shivas: Anyone remember version differences?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am hunting for an old Adire Shiva because I have a MKII with a Bash 500s amp and absolutely love it. I found a MKI but cannot remember the difference between the two versions (or III or IV). Does anyone else remember? Some internet searching does not yield much info (probably too long ago, hard to believe these subs are almost 20 years old!).

I had 8 of the 1st 100 units… i have attached the white paper from 1999 which has T/S.

dave

Man, Avatar Audio...that makes me feel old. I remember back when folks on the bass list were posting about how their single Shivas were supposedly cracking drywall, etc. Back when 12" subs were the monsters, 15"s were scarce and 18"s were nigh mythical and only for the most extreme basshead. But, things change, designs have improved and the hobby has progressed to bigger and more powerful drivers.

Keep in mind, this was one of the first woofers that Parts Express copied. IIRC, the Titanic was made in the same factory (Eminence) to the same specs.

The Titanic wasn't the copy. It was the Dayton DVC-310-88 subwoofer. Basically it was the Shiva with push terminals and slightly better cosmetics.

If you want to see what a 10" version looks like, look for the ACI-SV10. And that one has a rubber, not a foam, surround. Still the driver for my main HT subwoofer.

Basically if you didn't care too much about looks and you wanted to move some serious air for cheap, these were the drivers to go for.

The Titanic wasn't the copy. It was the Dayton DVC-310-88 subwoofer. Basically it was the Shiva with push terminals and slightly better cosmetics.

If you want to see what a 10" version looks like, look for the ACI-SV10. And that one has a rubber, not a foam, surround. Still the driver for my main HT subwoofer.

Basically if you didn't care too much about looks and you wanted to move some serious air for cheap, these were the drivers to go for.

You are correct!

I'm REALLY digging back in the memory banks, but for some reason I recalled that the Parts Express Titanic was a clone of something. I vaguely recall it was from NHT.

There was a speaker company similar to Madisound in California, that's long gone, named "Just Speakers" IIRC. They offered the NHT woofer for sale, and the PE Titanic was a copy.

Again, this goes back something like 25 years.

The NHT 3.3 has a 12" woofer, but I don't think it's the same one. The one that PE copied has a paper cone IIRC:

NHT 3.3 loudspeaker Specifications | Stereophile.com

About ten years ago, a big stash of NHT drivers appeared out of nowhere, and I remember there were a bunch for sale at that time.

fe8acb02-86c0-4de5-a6c8-4b1309f49562_1.ff2fab34a33f33e3b60c3b8c2d264761.jpeg

229048-d72cb649b610ef4ec4dc3a3e47145e67.jpg

229049-7ec9250ab61abeefb72f65df6b9e1b11.jpg

On a side note, every time I see an MCM 55-2421, it reminds me of what an 8" version of the Shiva would've looked like. Still a screaming deal at $30, if you can figure out how to build a box that's small enough to hold it lol

Last edited:
I'm REALLY digging back in the memory banks, but for some reason I recalled that the Parts Express Titanic was a clone of something. I vaguely recall it was from NHT.

I believe that you're referring to the NHT1259, which was design with sealed enclosures in mind (though that didn't stop one or two DIYers from trying them out in large vented enclosures). It was a popular woofer at the time for DIYing. I'm not sure however if the Titanic can be considered a clone of that driver.

So I ended up with a Wavecore SW310WA02 from Solen.ca. It was their last one and marked down 80% so I couldn't resist the temptation. I am LOVING it. I know Wavecor is a licensed XBL^2 manufacturer, and this sub sounds a lot like a Shiva on steroids.

Here's the link to the specs. It sounds GREAT open baffle, and I plan to put it in a big sealed enclosure:
http://www.wavecor.com/SW310WA02_specifications.pdf

So I ended up with a Wavecore SW310WA02 from Solen.ca. It was their last one and marked down 80% so I couldn't resist the temptation. I am LOVING it. I know Wavecor is a licensed XBL^2 manufacturer, and this sub sounds a lot like a Shiva on steroids.

Here's the link to the specs. It sounds GREAT open baffle, and I plan to put it in a big sealed enclosure:
http://www.wavecor.com/SW310WA02_specifications.pdf

Wavecor drivers are fantastic and extremely underrated. While they may be licensed as a build house to manufacture XBL^2 motors, none of their drivers utilize this technology as far as I know. Their big thing is the balanced drive motor, which extends the pole piece toward the dust cap to create a more symmetrical magnetic geometry about the rest position. It seems to be very effective based on bench tests and listening tests.

Wavecor drivers are fantastic and extremely underrated. While they may be licensed as a build house to manufacture XBL^2 motors, none of their drivers utilize this technology as far as I know. Their big thing is the balanced drive motor, which extends the pole piece toward the dust cap to create a more symmetrical magnetic geometry about the rest position. It seems to be very effective based on bench tests and listening tests.

Very cool, thanks for the info. I can confirm that, it sounds amazing! I think they still have an 8 ohm model on sale if anyone is lucky enough to snag it.

Need some info, in 2003 I bought two 12" subs for a 2ch system that didn't work out (changed speakers) so my son took them and put them in storage (never used them) so this weekend he is moving, so guess what I got the subs back.

I believe they are Adire Shiva's but not sure, will appreciate any info.

rIWInO1.jpg

g8iCRW1.jpg

BDT1Xcd.jpg

I personally have 2 batch Shiva drivers in sono tube subs.
Bob from CSS and I designed sold these sono tube kits. The Sonos were shipped from Adire as Adire got these for a OEM but the tubes were the wrong size. So Bob Dan Wiggins and myself come up with the design.
Then Bob CSS and I sold the kits with the Shiva as passive or Active amp dependant.
Also tried a few other drivers in the same tuned configuration. The Shiva was tuned to 19hz in these tubes.
I still have the pair of Sono tubes in my ht today.

Yes for sure the above photo sure looks like the dpl 12from Adire.

Boy I was at Adire and helped unload the Chile drivers arrive. Dan was speechless. Skids of drivers all leaning over repackaged. Not the way he had packaged them in Chile. So many memories going down to learn spend time with Dan.

Tubekit465 | wrn2 | Flickr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.