Concrete base Subwoofer build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wanted to add more bass to my current setup, I live in a small flat so nothing big and earth shaking, I chose Dayton Audio 8" classic series driver.
I think this is the first time i didn't plan ahead and just went for it. I used some already cut 12x12 mdf boards i had laying around.
anyhow here we go :
it all start with this little fella :
yeZfUBS.jpg

Building the cabinet :
wmgrj3J.jpg

e0wnNj7.jpg

LZwR386.jpg

All sides came together it's sanding time
YmRPHli.jpg

Part 3

I wanted something different rather than traditional feet or spikes, after a lot googling for ideas I decided to go with a concrete base.
Never worked with concrete before, so i watched a lot of youtube videos to make sure I do it right the first time.
It was easier than I thought, it did crack during moving and stuff but I ddon't mind that, it gives it some character:
e38ujT3.jpg

S738ntG.jpg

sealed it with poly and the top part is ready to assemple :
Qrv6gls.jpg

That looks great, good work! :)

Have you measured/graphed it?

Thanks :D, it was fun working on it , I did measure it but cann't find the files at the moment.
but this is the bookshelf+subwoofer, before any eq just a 12db/oct cut at 250hz and same filter hi pass for bookshelf, almost flat across the board :
attachment.php

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 371
Build looks good. I'd recommend dropping the crossover down to <120Hz, though - it'll help the sub disappear better - having it running up to 250Hz would make it very easy to locate, and will pull the stereo image to one side.

Next up, fix the treble rise on those speakers - that's a 30dB bump over the lower midrange level!

Chris

Build looks good. I'd recommend dropping the crossover down to <120Hz, though - it'll help the sub disappear better - having it running up to 250Hz would make it very easy to locate, and will pull the stereo image to one side.

Next up, fix the treble rise on those speakers - that's a 30dB bump over the lower midrange level!

Chris
I was already tweaking around in minidsp as i was reading your reply, i did brought it down to 120 and man what a difference it made, thanks for the tip :)
as for the treble rise i m not sure what is happening the last time i measured the speakers it was flat across the band :

attachment.php

nothing changed since, same setup, amps, mic and everything, i m probably doing something wrong here.
need to do some new measurement.

Attachments

• IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Did you put something like felt etc under it to protect the floor?

it has rubber feet underneath, other wise it would move.

@ Aatto

Nice FR :) What level did you test at ? It seems very ineffecient though ! Not criticising, Only noticing ;)

Thanks :) the measurement in post #11 is the bookshelf alone, without the dsp or anything, it is an old school american JBL monitor, i did not calibrate the SPL at all, as soon as the mic gave me a reading i was happy :)) ( also didn't want to scare away the neighbors ) i was not patient enough to do a precise measurement and i just start doing this as a hobby, not enough tools and equipment at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.