Multiple subs vs. bass traps

Decay times are directly related to modal 'strengths'. Controlling modes in a finished small room is quite a task. I've heard diaphragmatic absorbers can be affective although they seem large and static to me. Any type of fluffy insulation or foam is useless. I believe multiple subs and EQ are the way.

That's the last I'll say about it unless you can give me some proof otherwise.

Last edited:
Decay times are directly related to modal 'strengths'. Controlling modes in a finished small room is quite a task. I've heard diaphragmatic absorbers can be affective although they seem large and static to me. Any type of fluffy insulation or foam is useless. I believe multiple subs and EQ are the way.

That's the last I'll say about it unless you can give me some proof otherwise.
EQ cannot help for time related issue and resonance in a room. Decay times is a time domain issue, EQ cannot help with time domain issue.

Nobody just use ''any type of fluffy insulation'', you need to use the right foam with the right coefficient absorption for the thickness used.

I need to prove you what exactly? Every studio in the world use velocity and pressure based bass traps and use absorption and/or diffusion to control and reduce room modes, decay times, flutter echo,standing waves etc...

Last edited:
Thanks You. Looks like we may be moving so and I want to get a house with a dedicated room so I am in the planning stage.

Just pick the a house with a big room for your toys. Then strip the drywalls and add damping. Most sound proofing technique give you damping. You end up with damping like a studio.
Then you can pick multi subs and or bass traps.

The first step is damping. The next step is flattening FR. Multiple subs with EQ cut peaks and fill valleys. Bass traps only cut peaks.

It's all important fellas. But first start with the design of the room in other words the drywall and damping behind the drywall. Next implement multisubs. Next implement bass traps both velocity and pressure based bass traps (that are limited ONLY to the LF). Finally for minor tweaks (like a small peak or 2), use EQ. I did it in that order, but honestly the bang for the buck for me was implementing multiple subs (minimum of 3, diminishing returns after 4).

This series of articles explains it very easily and well:

Bass Integration guide by Paul Spencer Parts 1, 2, and 3

Best,
Anand.

Active damping beats passive damping every time.
:p
I guess all the studio in the world and acousticians are not aware of your findings. I sure am interested. please tell us more about active damping!

any complete data to share how active damping helps to reduce decay times of Low Frequencies?

Even better, do not excite the modes in the first place.
lol what?

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The question I ask myself is which method is more suited to my subjective preference.

Obtaining a flatter FR will be easier with subs but what about bass envelopment, hence non directional bass. PANO, Do I have this right? Haven't heard subs in action but I did query you about the comparisons.

I would not enjoy extremely non directional bass.

My room has 30 bass absorbers including broadband, panel traps and ceilings stuffed with 3lb per cubic foot glass fibre. I've reduced 12db peaks and dips to 4db. The subjective quality is astounding.

IME, Common sense would suggest that its better to absorb at the surface of reflection-acoutic, rather than cancel in the room after reflection-active.

The question I ask myself is which method is more suited to my subjective preference.

Obtaining a flatter FR will be easier with subs but what about bass envelopment, hence non directional bass. PANO, Do I have this right? Haven't heard subs in action but I did query you about the comparisons.

I would not enjoy extremely non directional bass.

My room has 30 bass absorbers including broadband, panel traps and ceilings stuffed with 3lb per cubic foot glass fibre. I've reduced 12db peaks and dips to 4db. The subjective quality is astounding.

IME, Common sense would suggest that its better to absorb at the surface of reflection-acoutic, rather than cancel in the room after reflection-active.
frequency response is much less helpful to help you understand your room LF performance then a ETC or waterfall graphs.
decay times is the enemy of rooms LF performance.
adding more subwoofer may very well help for various reasons, but do not help at all for the worst problem of LF performance which is resonance and decay time.

Also, subwoofer is for frequencies under 60hz-80hz normally, while absorption is also needed for frequencies up to 200hz before they become directional.
Also, you dont just need bass traps in a room, you need to deal with first reflections as they totally smear imaging and clarity of mid/highs.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
frequency response is less important to help you understand your room LF performance then a ETC or waterfall graphs.

well, maybe you can help me for discussion purposes. I don't plan to do anything more with my room at this time.

I worked on my room over 12 years ago. I looked at Energy time curves, waterfall, impulse response and FR. I did focus more on the change in FR at that time but examined all.

I now measure speakers outdoors(for design purposes) well away from buildings and 15 feet high. It also gives me the opportunity to compare outdoor FR to Indoor FR. This tells me a lot about my rooms FR vs anechoic FR.

I have speaker design specific software which is what I use.
I have room acoustic specific software That doesn't get used much.

But to your comment, FR curves with longer gate times will display larger dips and peaks which is part of the stored energy.

well, maybe you can help me for discussion purposes. I don't plan to do anything more with my room at this time.

I worked on my room over 12 years ago. I looked at Energy time curves, waterfall, impulse response and FR. I did focus more on the change in FR at that time but examined all.

I now measure speakers outdoors(for design purposes) well away from buildings and 15 feet high. It also gives me the opportunity to compare outdoor FR to Indoor FR. This tells me a lot about my rooms FR vs anechoic FR.

I have speaker design specific software which is what I use.
I have room acoustic specific software That doesn't get used much.

But to your comment, FR curves with longer gate times will display larger dips and peaks which is part of the stored energy.
Can you share ETC (waterfall graphs) measurements from your listening position. This will be much more helpful to understand your room resonance.
you can use REW or ARTA.

And I'd be very interested to see comparisons of sims, out of doors, and indoors results.

Thanks.

Alas, a lot about acoustics is unintuitive, even more so, psychoacoustics (which is what we are really talking about). Pity. For example, almost any stuffing in a room whether identified as a "treatment" or not at home adds to the Sabine value of the room (behind furniture, under cabinets, clothes closets, true felt rug under layers, and apropos bass not least the drywall panels). I rather like deadish spaces and think any Q, in a driver or room, is too much. I seem to recall liking the mono sound of an ancient Karlson-15 in the worlds largest anechoic chamber. I also like the deadish sound of Roy Thomson Hall. The recording should be the source of the music, not "enhancement" from the room. I don't think it is inconsistent of me to also prefer dipoles which excel in ambiance as a result of their total dispersion. Go figure.

Ben

Last edited:
Can you really alter the modal behaviour of a domestic-sized room significantly with practical acoustic treatments? Multiple subs with DSP EQ and delay give the user a great deal of power and flexibility to attenuate peaks created by a room's modes. Wouldn't this have the effect of improving the time domain performance? By putting less energy into modal 'peaks' by multiple sub averaging and the use of DSP, the FR in the bass is flattened, but energy over time will also be reduced.

Last edited:
Dr Geddes' presentation linked in post 20 makes the link expliçit between steady state modal room response and decay. Attenuating the drive signal to the subs at frequencies where there are high Q modes will improve (ie reduce) decay times down to any arbitary level, as well as flattening the FR.

Also, although the point has been debated on DIYA, the physics doesn't appear to support the idea of bass being directional in a domestic room's modal range.

Last edited: