The Biggest (siz), the Loudest (dB), the Lowest (Hz), the Baddest DIY SUB of them all

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there in this world a subwoofer so bad that it can go lower than one Hertz, like 0.1Hz and with less than 10% THD and @ 120dB level, or more, and that man would be able to survive, if installed in a home?

...Like a horn loaded sub, or a rotary one for example. ...Can it be build?

Or! What is the world's baddest sub of them all, right now, on this planet?
And it don't matter how many drivers it consists of. ...And how huge it is.

What is the most decibels (subterranean bass) can you get in a room (in-room response), when sitting @ the MLP? ...And the lowest extension ever recorded?
And! Is it sustainable for a reasonable period of time with very very low distortion (THD & IMD)?

I just want to know. ...About the limit of mankind when it comes to Subwoofing (Diy type of). ...Or Pro already done, or the extent of possible outcome from what is humanly possible.

And I mean on the entire planet, including France, UK, Germany, Russia, Brazil, Italy, Spain, China, Japan, etc., and not just here in America (USA & Canada), or in this DiyAudio forum.

I saw another thread talkin' 'bout 5Hz extension @ 125dB in-room response.
But that won't simply cut it; it ain't low enough, and it definitely not loud enough.

I'm talkin' somethin' like 0.1 Hertz here and approaching 200 Decibels.
I'm just curious, of what is the ultimate limit of what have been already created, or of what can be created.

Please, help me out, I got a new project comin' up, and I need to know before the beginning of next year (2015).

Oh, I almost forget: What size subwoofer drivers are the most efficient and with the less distortion and the best extension and best speed and best accuracy (delineation and excursion) and best of all that jazz?
...10", 12", 15", 18", 24", 32", 36", 48", or larger?

Thank you in advance to all Diy experts here, and best of luck with your suggestions, scientific explanations, and all that blues. :)

Best cheers and regards to all my friendly Diy community, :djinn:
Bob

Build concrete bunker with 20 foot thick walls and ceilings (only needs to be big enough for the subwoofer boxes (1700 cubic feet) and the listener).

install 5000 amp 3phase 240v electrical service.

order 256 18 sound lms ultras, stuff em in six cubic fet sealed a piece.

Order enough amps to be capable of around 1000kw of output

Add massive amounts of boost down low.

... and you are still not anywhere near 120 db at .1hz is my guess.

Build concrete bunker with 20 foot thick walls and ceilings (only needs to be big enough for the subwoofer boxes (1700 cubic feet) and the listener).

install 5000 amp 3phase 240v electrical service.

order 256 18 sound lms ultras, stuff em in six cubic fet sealed a piece.

Order enough amps to be capable of around 1000kw of output

Add massive amounts of boost down low.

... and you are still not anywhere near 120 db at .1hz is my guess.

That is exactly what I also thought. ...So why mentioned it then? :)

Now we're talking! ...That is exactly what I'm asking for; real true science, so that I can learn something positively good.

You sir, are on the perfect direction in the search for the ultimate bad *** subwoofer of our entire planet; just like me. :cool:

This is the first intelligent reply to my request (quest). ...Thank you.

and that man would be able to survive, if installed in a home?
This is where it gets problematic... :) See the following list for a guide to SPLs and the survivability thereof.
Decibel Equivalent Table (whats how loud) | Decibel Car Audio the SPL Knowledgebase
Highlights:
145dB Vision blurs due to eyeball vibration
195dB Human eardrums rupture
202dB Death from sound wave
215dB Space shuttle launches
248dB Atomic bombs
310dB Krakatau volcanic eruption 1883. Cracked one foot thick concrete at 300 miles

This is where it gets problematic... :) See the following list for a guide to SPLs and the survivability thereof.
Decibel Equivalent Table (whats how loud) | Decibel Car Audio the SPL Knowledgebase
Highlights:
145dB Vision blurs due to eyeball vibration
195dB Human eardrums rupture
202dB Death from sound wave
215dB Space shuttle launches
248dB Atomic bombs
310dB Krakatau volcanic eruption 1883. Cracked one foot thick concrete at 300 miles

You, you understood perfectly clear my question.

@ 112dB, the maximum time exposure, before human damage occurs, is less than one minute. @ 115dB, it is less than thirty seconds, and every 3dB added limits our exposure by half.

So, @ 310dB+ might as well be @ the core center of the Earth.
...If we can dig a hole deep enough to reach it, and then cover it.
We'll need several gas/air torpedos if we want to survive more than few years, in that environment. And plasma TVs won't work there. ...So forget it about CNN news and all that jazz.

...'Bout a rotary sub (wind turbine) that can go as low as a fraction of one Hertz, and @ over 200 decibels of pure pressure?
...Like having a deathwish, for example.

According to the table, one atmosphere of pressure is 194dB SPL. So the rotary sub could maybe suck all the air out of the room on one half-cycle and compress it to twice atmospheric pressure on the other half-cycle. I'm sure that is within the bounds of engineering, but I would really not want to be in the room at the time. :eek: The THD spec would doubtless be violated as air itself is highly nonlinear at these levels.

The Royal Device guy claims 160dB SPL if his sub were operated at its maximum rated power. That agrees with the table, where it says 158dB for the inside of a PA bass bin with 5kW input. 19dB above "Nausea after a few minutes".

I am reading, on my planet earth, that kids in their cars can reach over 170dBs.

...And people @ home, are listening to their multitude of subs @ 130dB+, 140dB+, and reaching 188dB in some rare cases.

Ok, this is all very cool, but how much cool really?

* Last guy I talked to, couldn't hear me; he had to learn sign language to communicate.
But he can still function in typing on his laptop to communicate on the Internet (cyber space highway). ...Not fully, but we can still make up of what he's trying to say, just a little.

It is hardly a mystery in our world that space above us is the true free world, where no one can hear us scream.
Man, is working real hard to find other planets where he can live and survive.
If not, he'll keep building space stations large enough to accommodate entire cities.

The future looks so bright that we'll all be wearing shades. ...3D, 4D shades. ...To cope with what dimensions we have destructed in our lifetime ....

The hearing dimension is only one of them, a very small one, an infinite minimal part of our entire balanced ecosystem. Sounds are not part of our future; they'll be all extinct together. Music will be communicated/listened to through signs, by tactile force.

Keep bringing them on; I am still listening, still open to your ideas and suggestions.
...For the ultimate, baddest, biggest, lowest, most damaging a$$ subwoofer that you can put in your own home; living room, home theater room, you name it, I'm open to all kinds of rooms.

Then, when we'll finally find it; we'll explore future beneficial capabilities ... if any.

What's with the sub atomic particle accelerators on the spdif inputs?!!?
all good until that then sound like fiction.

and this link is also useless. even as a half wavelength 10hz horn, its still wont operate like anything other than a sealed chamber below say... 5hz (1/4 wavelength, if 10hz is indeed its half wavelength number).

thus, you'll have the output capabilities of about... 4 LMS ultra in sealed boxes below 5hz, even with that massive horn. Thus, my suggesttion of 256 lms ultra is still a lot closer to your goal than this, or anything else that has been posted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.