The Biggest (siz), the Loudest (dB), the Lowest (Hz), the Baddest DIY SUB of them all

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Space Power Facility (SPF)

Click on Reverberant Acoustic Test Facility

2011_03333.jpg
p

Last edited:
I swear I read it on here somewhere...

One guy used 10x Marshall stacks on-stage, and wanted to capture the same sound in the studio. So, they took all 10 stacks into a recording booth. Hit the first chord and passed out on the floor.
It took the engineers a while to stop the feedback - had to kill it at the fuseboard.

Getting to 0.1Hz at 120dB is definitely the realm of sealed rooms and fan subwoofers. Lots of fan subwoofers.

Chris

I am reading, on my planet earth, that kids in their cars can reach over 170dBs.

...And people @ home, are listening to their multitude of subs @ 130dB+, 140dB+, and reaching 188dB in some rare cases.

Not kids, don't be fooled, the SPL competition is not the realm of youngsters with a few bucks to spend...

And as for the 188dB, please let me know where you found this (link?). The current SPL records (~172dB?) in a car are hard to fathom, but need >>10kW of power in a tiny space. 188dB in a home would probably bring you in the >1MW range*

Did anyone mention the bread truck?

RichardClarkMTX5footsub.jpg

Info is scarce, but supposedly designed to indeed do 188dB, but died after doing 162dB @ 11Hz...:eek: (Not sure if the cone (some say 10', some say 60" diameter plywood, looks more like 60" to me) broke, the bread truck imploded or both)

Edit: as for kids, google Alma Gates... The old lady in the pic.
31511_443507488274_5791587_n_zps3db3ef86.jpg

The alternators to provide something like 200A a piece (2-3000W a piece)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And the amps to convert that power again (not actually from the same car, but just as an example)
E4442W1M11087P53C.jpg

Look here for some more absurd pics, some cars look more like a patch cabinet of a network centre for a big company...

* it seems they have already passed the 180dB mark (with a burp I think), I am not keeping up:eek: :D But they are hardly cars anymore, but bunkers on wheels that get bolted shut before doing the measurements

Last edited:
...Almost. ...But it's all fun to build things; skyscrapers, cities, bridges, electrical power grids, dams, human relationships; father/son, mother/daughter, love, gardens, and subwoofers (including loudspeakers and amplifiers and preamplifiers).

...Even building airplanes, sailing boats, and trains.

Cars? That too, Italians are good @ it. ...And would be nice to build electric cars in Detroit.

Me, I like building canoes and totems and teepees and igloos. ...No electricity where I live, so a subwoofer is not very practical.
But nothing is stopping me to learn about them biggest a$$ ones though. ...It's fun to see how far man can go in the lowest hertz and loudest decibels on this planet, and all by himself (diy), without any nature's help, like from volcanoes eruptions, or hurricanes, or typhoons.

Perhaps we can use one of them wind turbines to create an air shaft vent that would aliment a subwoofer that can reach subterranean 0.000000001 hertz.
...Not loud @ all though, but shaken and not stirred. ...You know; vibrating enough that it can all lift us to the heavens. :)

I wish I had not read this Thread.

Andrew, one further; share a thought about your ideal sub...its size and reach. :) ...Even a link would do, or a youtube video.

<<<>>> Question: Any of you guys watched the Blu-ray movie with Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt, called Live - Die - Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow ?

Because @ the very beginning, even before it starts, there is a sine wave (bass sweep) that lasts roughly 12 seconds+ or so, and it reaches 10Hz @ a very high decibel pressurisation. Did you read about it, did you check it out?

If you have built your own monsters subs with kilowatts of power, and without a safety protective mechanism, and that you leave your master volume level control where you usually do, or @ reference level; you are certain to blow all your sub drivers, and also inflict structural damage to your room, to your home, to your family, and to you too. I am not kidding (no humor here, I am dead serious). ...It is so intense, if you have what it takes, that several people are having some arguments about it all over the audio forums of the Internet, or the WWW (World Wide Web).

Another problem with reaching that low is that most(all?) amps won't be able to do it... and if amps cant, probably you won't be able to achieve anything near it with the much less than ideal driver/cab combination.

You need your own electrical grid, with one of them transformers like the ones on them electrical posts near your house. ...240V, and 30Amp outlets.
And! Several kilowatts of power, say 20,000 Watts minimum, nothing less.

It is a tough one, but not an impossible human task.

A lot of kilowatts is needed no matter what driver technology you use. Conventional drivers on horns are at least 25% efficient (and up to 50%) in a stack big enough to do anything real with. And it still takes kilowatts to really get loud. 20kW is a 'medium' PA rig for a rave, and a megawatt isn't uncommon for a large rig for national acts.

A lot of kilowatts is needed no matter what driver technology you use. Conventional drivers on horns are at least 25% efficient (and up to 50%) in a stack big enough to do anything real with. And it still takes kilowatts to really get loud. 20kW is a 'medium' PA rig for a rave, and a megawatt isn't uncommon for a large rig for national acts.

20kw into an effective(and big) horn loaded rig will probably play for 10000 people easily... Wouldn't call that medium

A 10k person rig will have at least 5 kw in monitors.

"Will" is not the same as "need". Though I know that the business often exaggerates the size/kW and let the system run on low level doesn't make it neccessary to do it this way.

When you properly set a FLH rig with limiters so you can push them really hard without breaking them, it requires not all that much kW to reach out far with good spl... Good engineering and proper setup is however mandatory.

But it will require a big rig to achieve OTOH, which isn't optimal in some/most cases.. Can't fool physics

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.