TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

The Xmax of the P audio is a calculated Xmax and Peavey's Xmax is...well... everything but calculated (I'll try to be nice). So you can't compare these figures one on one. Forget about Xmax and look at the AES power ratings.
I have measured excursion on the Peavey Low rider 15" in a dual tapped horn design. The speakers performed well within the published 9.6 mm Xmax rating.

My measurements were a bit on the light side, the speakers were built by a friend and the only testing was done outside while snowing with snowmobiles blasting by. However, a pair of the dual 15 tapped horns kept up well to four front loaded Peavey dual 15" with 2" drivers crossed at around 100 Hz with some fairly heavy duty recorded hip-hop and pop music for a crowd of over a thousand during and after the snow board competition.

Have you actually compared a P audio speaker to a Peavey Low Rider ?

Art

I have measured excursion on the Peavey Low rider 15" in a dual tapped horn design. The speakers performed well within the published 9.6 mm Xmax rating.

My measurements were a bit on the light side, the speakers were built by a friend and the only testing was done outside while snowing with snowmobiles blasting by. However, a pair of the dual 15 tapped horns kept up well to four front loaded Peavey dual 15" with 2" drivers crossed at around 100 Hz with some fairly heavy duty recorded hip-hop and pop music for a crowd of over a thousand during and after the snow board competition.

Have you actually compared a P audio speaker to a Peavey Low Rider ?

Art
The Xmax in this comparison is not the point, power handling is.

would a peavey lowrider or one of the eminence 18" drivers work in this cabinet. i was getting ready to cut 2 of jbell's SS15, but i saw this thread. i am just looking for a cabinet to use for live band application only. so i will never need anything below say 45hz.
Maybe even something cheaper as the P.Audio will do, any suggestion Art?

Scameron, what is the price for the P.Audio C18-600LF over there doing?

Last edited:
This Eminence doesn't work very well...

Xoc1_TH18-2_Eminence_Delta-Pro-18A.jpg

Last edited:
current set is 4 SP118x subs and 2 SP2s (newer style). i ran one 2450 on the subs and the other 2450 in stereo for my tops. the 850 may be a better amp for the tops. i wanted to run 3 way using my DCX2496, reason for buying the 850. i am always looking to buy another 2450. i guess it will depend on what drivers i purchase.

Just a suggestion;

Why not running just 2 Xoc1-TH18's and load them with a better 4 Ohm driver? That way you are saving space, extra wood (you can use those $ for the drivers ;) ) and end up with a better and smaller system...

1 x 2450 on the 4 ohm subs (2 x 750 @ 4Ohm)
1 x 2450 on the lows of the SP2's (2 x 500 @ 8Ohm)
1 x 850 on the high section of the SP2's (2 x 200 @ 8Ohm)

Later on you can update (if really necessary but I doubt that) to another 2450 so you can run them bridged for each cab.